• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help, horrible temps!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
johan851 said:
Well shoot, just drive to DTek and pick it up! :D

If you're looking for a good 120mm, check out the sticky for the Sanyo Denkis in the classifieds. They're quite good fans, especially for what you pay. Don't know if you have access yet, but once you do, head over there.

I would in a heart beat but insurance rates killed me after I had an accident, so I don't drive anymore.

so what aobut hte system crashing though? Itt not from heat does any one have more suggestions, or should I just keep trying?

Well...did you check out how hot your NB heatsink is? If it's cool to the touch it could be mounted improperly. Those Northbridges are usually pretty concave and hard to mount stuff on.

um I don't know, i really havn't had the pc on for more than a few minutes, I think that it may be the northbridge. Maybe I will mount it with push pins? I don't know.

Go back to air. Set the componants on your desk and test them one by one with all your "stock" comoponants. If you have another machine, check them with that. Once you isolate the problem or if everything works as it's supposed to, then report back.

well, unfortunately I don't have extra parts lying around besides a vid card and ram, so I know the vid card is shot, so maybe the ram is too. I sure hope not. CPU is still fine and we will see if I can lower those temps with a shroud and with some finer bleeding.

thanks! a lot wish me luck!

well,the ram tested out, I remoutned the gpu and cpu, and bled the lines a bit more, I will remount the nb cooler, and we will see how it goes tonight.

Remember, all you need is a video card, mobo, cpu, ram, and powersupply to test. If you only use those and you say the ram checks out, it's only a matter of time until you target the problem.

When i set up my H20 kit a few days ago, the only way i could get ALL the air out of it was turning it COMPLETELY upside down. My CPU block was trapping in a ton of air even when i left it on it's side. When you set it back up turn it all the way around (so the bottom of the case is toward the ceiling :)

well I can't say that If I were to do it all over again i still would have bought this stuff, but since im so close im not willing to give up.

okay, so I remounted the cpu block again, and fixed up the as5 (did a primo job of applying it!) and blew out the socket holes with some spray, let the spary evaperate (sometime it squirts warer, so Im just being safe) and then I hooked it back up.

I remounted the nb passive sink, I mixed some as5 with the AS adheasive, I think that it was not cooling well in the middle, it should do great now, I did a test to see if it was still adhesive and it was, acutally, maybe better. SO that should be good.

I remounted the dd maze 4 on my 5700, cleaned up the as5 (it wasn't bad) and tightend the screws in 1/8th turn segments like the DD video says.

still no video

So I pull unintall the block and examine the core, It has a chip in it, a very small one in the corner, and it may have a crack in the other corner, This might be since when I initially insalled the blck I cranked it all the way down and crushed the core. It might be because I bashed something into it when I was uninstalling that dang vga sink from zalaman. Either way the card is gone. All $127 of it.

So I tried to install the block on the old card, a TNT2 32mb I can see after I pop the sink, and the holes arn't lined up right. So I put some as5 on there, since I wiped off the white stuff and installed the original sink. It would have been fun to overclock something like that.

So I boot and I was still getting crappy temps. Then I turned my case upright and all the sudden the computer restarts! what the heck! So I power off to check everything. Then I power on all seems fine, three secounds pass, the mobo sounds the post beep, the monitor just comes out of sleep mode and then the comp shuts off.

So I hit the power button to turn it back on. Nothing, I pull the plug and the red mobo sleep light goes off, then plug it back in and hit pwoer button, It comes on, but only for three secounds. I can't seem to find the problem. I tell you, its days like this that make me sure in all my mind that I don't want to be an IT guy.

help would be apreciated now more than ever. Im pulling an all nighter tonight, so suggestions are much appreciated. Much!

Gather as many extra parts from friends and neighbors as you can. Then systematicly test everything. Once you have a "working" pile and a "questionable" pile, assemble everything you need to post using air cooling. Make sure all fans [in the psu] spin and everything turns on. This was a nf7 right? If so, check malvescorner.com and pull out the multimeter and check the voltages.

I think this is going to take a long long time. I'll bet that the dang psu is shorting out, those crappy molex connectors do that a lot, Ive topped most of them but I probably missed one. This is extremly frusturating, I have crappy temps and my comp wont power on. Im going to have to pull everyhting from the case.

The CPU should be fine, but I don't know any one that runs AMD. I know the gpu is dead, so im using the TNT, and th ram tested out fine. THis just really sucks. It it does. Well I will see if I can get it to boot tonight.

$#%$%ing water cooling . . .

You could always give all your stuff to me - or just the wc stuff... Yes, taking it out of the case should have been the first thing you have done. The psu might be a problem. How much have you hacked it up? Like I said, make it as simple as possible and when you get it working again, remember what you did. That way if you transfer it again and the same thing happens, you know what to do.

what do you mean by hacked? I have a lot of cut end on fans and all sorts of crap. I've got a good 4-5 hours of work. but the psu itself is sturdy.

First I'd like to ask pat if he can underline, italisize, and caps his posts too, I can't read them well enough yet :rolleyes: j/k

I'd highly suggest you go back to air and see what you get. If you get worse temps with air this time than you did before WC'ing - assuming it doesn't start rebooting/sleep-mode-exiting like now - then its probably the PSU. If nothing else, go to a place that gives 100% refunds for PSU's they sell, get a 400 watt PSU, then test your setup with it. If it still gives you problems, its probably the board. I'd also suggest that before trying a PSU if your air temps prove worse, I'd try bending the thermosistor below the CPU up a tad, high enough so that it can hold the CPU off the ZIF socket a tad (obviously push it down flush when you lock it in), and use some TIM paste on it.

My guess if you still have probs, it would be the board. I have an idea that if it works with air again, but then not with water after that, you're having board-cooling probs, like some bad mosfets. Not fried, just sensitive to temps - on my NFS-7 rev2 with a 80mm sucking through the HSF and a 140mm psu fan above, the power fets rise to 135F (via an infrared thermometer).

SoRrY, iS tHiS bEtTer?

Wow, that takes a long time to type. But yeah, this is my new thing and this is how I get my thrills, humor me.

What I mean by hacked, whoever, is how much have you done to it? I know I have cut several cables out of mine, like the odd plug that I can never find a use for. I cut extra connecters and channels out of my psus and sometimes replace the fans too.

yeah I was actually surpriesd at how hacked it was. I got it to respond diffretnly not better. I unplugged everything! Even the 4 pin P4 connecotor. I got it to boot. Yay!!! So I hop into bios now my idle is 52C! holy @*&$! And then it shuts down after that! Im kinda considerign Im considering that my cpu might be dead. It has a slight chip in the core. I don't know if its serious or not but Im a little tempted to just sell it all off on ebay and hope for enoguh cash to set me up with a 64 bit.

Back