• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me play and hopefully finish Half Life 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I reinstalled it two weekends ago... been playin a little here and there; still very satisfied with the game. Great graphics and overall experience. Even Halflife is fun to go back and play.

You dont need steam installed to play CS:S or HL2. There are ways around it! You dont get updates and news, but once HL2 is installed you dont really need any updates. You could always download them from the internet and install them, still without steam.

I know Piracy isnt accepted here, and thats not what I am suggesting. Its just a workaround to play the game, nothing wrong with that if you actually did pay for it :) The guys that dont pay for the game and download it off the web use the same technique to get the game to run without steam. I had 2 friends that did this before they broke down and bought it.

thanks for the info eternalX,

can you share the info on how to update.

No, because it involves circumventing the software, which is tecnically hacking and not allowed to be discussed.

Elif Tymes said:
No, because it involves circumventing the software, which is tecnically hacking and not allowed to be discussed.

thanks for the info. et.

i found a forum thats all hl2 and they have the patches for download at their site. according to the site its legal as long as you own the copy.

will registering the game with steam get me the updates anyway? or is there a fee?

alright guys, i just walked into a little shed that locked me in and scanned me. there's 2 led panels on the wall, when i hit the "e" button it says error on the panel. i can't get out of this little shed thing.

i not at the part where i meet alyx yet. also how do you wave bye? the tutorial tells me i need to wave bye? also i've confronted combine and they don't shoot me? i'm in easy mode, in the beginning of the game the would attack me. now they were just standing there???

Last edited:
ok guys i guess this is where i'm at

Go to the left side, where you see all the buildings. Leave the boat, and wave
it goodbye, because you'll leave it. If you take the right path, you'll end up
in a room, and the doors will close. You reached Black Mesa, and after the
scan, Dr. Mossman will take you down to Eli's lab. After some chit-chat with
Alyx, Dr. Mossman (those 2 don't really get along) and Eli, Alyx will take you
away, because Eli wants her to show you the Gravity Gun. Follow Alyx.

maybe there's something wrong with the game? i've been stuck in this room for about 30 minutes.

uhhh it sounds like your AI isn't working... the doctor is supposed to start talking you you and let ya out... you should get all the patches and then backtrack to before you entered the room. and you should get through.

oh and when it says wave goodbye, that's a figure of speech, you don't actually wave... your never going to see that boat again... That boat has served you well and been your primary mode of survival and even though it's not a person you still kinda get attached to such a great machine so like to a person you wave goodbye in a sentimental kind of way.

!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh how'd you like the part with those two giant smokestacks that get toppoled over into the river... wasn't that like the coolest thing ever! if you go fast nuff though there you can actually get crushed under them ;) trust me... been there done that. :D

oh man once you get past where you are stuck you will be very close to 30mph mosters... I fogot to mention that they can climb walls :rolleyes: anyways they are in ravenholomn...

ozzlo said:
uhhh it sounds like your AI isn't working... the doctor is supposed to start talking you you and let ya out... you should get all the patches and then backtrack to before you entered the room. and you should get through.

oh and when it says wave goodbye, that's a figure of speech, you don't actually wave... your never going to see that boat again... That boat has served you well and been your primary mode of survival and even though it's not a person you still kinda get attached to such a great machine so like to a person you wave goodbye in a sentimental kind of way.

!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh how'd you like the part with those two giant smokestacks that get toppoled over into the river... wasn't that like the coolest thing ever! if you go fast nuff though there you can actually get crushed under them ;) trust me... been there done that. :D

oh man once you get past where you are stuck you will be very close to 30mph mosters... I fogot to mention that they can climb walls :rolleyes: anyways they are in ravenholomn...

I actualy got to the smokestacks in time to have them pop me way high into the air and out of the level lolz.

ozzlo,

i did the patches and everythings cool now except for in ravenholm my walking speed is really slow. i thought it was my pc but when i move my mouse around it instantly responds.

when i kill head crabs or monsters its in slow motion? did i activate slow motion or a cheat code?

thanks for all your help, game is awesome.

yeah but in ravenholm i'm in slow motion? i thought my pc was underpowered for this game but when i move the mouse it around it responds instantly. walking and shooting is slow?

i wanted to see with you guys if this is normal? maybe i enabled a cheat code or something?

Yea, you have some issues. Ravenholm should play 'normally'. It might be something to do with all that steam/workaround business you were talking about earlier.

Cheers.

i registered with steam. but at the same time the v1.2 fix all had cheat codes. i'm wondering if i accidently enabled something???

yeah this has cheat codes, the "t" button is the toggle swith for fast and slow. i guess slow is to gain an advantage. even though i move slowly as far as walking or sprint. the mouse is at native speed.

kind of cool cause its matrix'y.

Back