• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed setting up scsi drives Plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karlmcwade

Registered
:cry: :cry: hi i have just received a pair of scsi drives ( 10k U160 seagate cheetah 73gb, model number st373405lc ) and a Adaptec 29160 U160 card with u160 lvd/se lead and back plates for the drives, have so far got them to work with a transfar rate of 30mb/s. I believe they are working on a 16 bus. which would explain why they are not going faster. However i wish to get them working at full speed. But i have failed so far, According to seagates web site these drives are able to do 65mb/s each so i,m only getting half the speed. I got adaptors for the back of the drives so that i can plug the drives onto the scsi cable and I think this is where i am going wrong can anyone guide me as i,ve been trying to get them to work for ages now and my patient has run out. :cry:

If i use the correct slot my controller card just skips the id that i have given the scsi drives. Has anyone any ideas. plzzzzzzzz help............................................................................................................................................................................................................

First off what rig is this in? Secondly are you useing them on the same channel? One thing to make sure of is that you have a terminator on the end of the cable(s). And that brings up another point, from the models numbers all the stuff is 68 pin, is that correct. What slot is the adaptec card in on you motherboard, is it a shared slot, make sure that you put it on a slot that does not shared its bandwidth.

Have you been in the bios on your scsi card? I have an Adaptec 39320R which I assume has some similarities in the bios settings. If you push Ctrl + A when it is going through the drive detection then you can access the cards bios. In there make sure that you set the drives to 160.

Try that tell me where it gets you.

These are SCA 80pin drives according to the spec sheet. Which SCA adapters are you using? There are several varieties and not all will transfer at U160 or higher.

Additionally, as cooter stated, check the SCSI BIOS. It may have been set to force a lower interface rate.

Next, when the SCSI controller posts, does it list the drives following scanning the bus. If so, you should have a mode indication there as well.

Finally, what are you using to get the STR data. Many popular benchmarks use synthetic algorythms and do not reflect real world results. Get ATTO's scsi benchmark from it's SCSI utility for a quick test. Set the Queue depth to 10 and the Length to 32MB to get repeatable results and make sure that the buffers do not affect the test. It's available here:

http://www.attotech.com/software/app1.html

Download and install the Windows SCSI Utilities.

o.k guys here is more info for you. the drives are going into my main rig a m-xp 2600 at 12 x 223 air cooled, 2x 256 winbond bh5 223 11-2-2-2 a7n8x deluxe with a 9800se soft modded to pro with 1 sata maxtor diamond max plus 9 running xp pro.

this is the card

Picture1.jpg

one of the drives is dead and is getting Rma'ed i can get to boot menu for the Adaptec card and it sees the drives as asyn 40 bus 16 if i plug it into the second se port see photo below

Picture13.jpg

but if i plug it into the LVD /se port see photo

Picture8.jpg

the card does not see the drive, its spinning up tho and i have given it an id and the card skips the id that the drive has but it just does not detect it.

these are the back plates

Picture6.jpg

this is the drive top

Picture1.jpg

the drive connected

Picture22.jpg

the drive is set to id 2 and the card skips id 2 so it must know something is there.

plz ask more question so that you can help me solve my problem

Back