• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help suggest replacement for 2 WD 100JBs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mamisano

I recently RMAd 2 WD 100JBs to NewEgg after they stopped working. NewEgg no longer stocks them so they decided to refund me the $260 I spent on them.

These drives were going to be used in a home server that I was putting together. The server has the following specs:

Abit KT7A-Raid (Rev 1.1)
AMD Athlon XP1800+ (Tbred-A) w/Alpha PAL8045
512MB PC133
Windows 2000 Server or .NET Server RC2

The main thing the server is going to be used for is to host a few family web pages and to server up about 60GB of ISOs for my friends. The connection will be 1500/768 DSL.

The 2 WD drives were going to be setup in a Raid 1 mirror.

What should I do now? Get 2 more 100GB drives? Move up to dual WD 120JB drives?

I *could* survive with 1 120GB drive but I am leery about loosing all my ISOs.

Later

Have you thought about a DVD recorder? I back everything up to that now that I got one. They are 4.7 gig disks and that backs up alot of iso's. Also the disks are getting cheaper $1 a disk.

If not go with WD or Maxtor 120 with 8 meg cache.

That's a lot of *censored* ISOs

How about 4 IBM 120GXPs doing RAID 0+1, the 120GXP is as fast as 8Mb WD in RAID 0, a lot cheaper, and starting from 40Gb, it's a bit on the flimpsy side, but with two redundant drives, you should be okay.

Edit: on second thought, you probably should stick to 8Mb WDs because of the 3 year warranty

Last edited:
Back