• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Raven RV02 LC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bravokiloromeo

Registered
[COMPLETED] Raven RV02 LC Project

UPDATED 6Jul2011 - Check page 2 for finished build

Hi guys,
I just joined the forums today since I am in need of some help trying to liquid cool my i7-930 and dual GTX 470s in my Raven RV02 case.

I've essentially decided on what parts I need (will list in a sec), but the real part I need help with is the installation. I have found a lot of pictures and parts lists of LCed RV02s, but no really helpful work logs of what the builders did.

As for parts, here's what I'm looking at:
MCP655 pump: http://www.jab-tech.com/Pumps-c-323.html
XSPC X20 Dual Bay res: http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-X2O-750-Dual-5.25-Bay-Reservoir-Pump-pr-4728.html
Swiftech Apogee XT: http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Apogee-XT-Extreme-Performance-CPU-waterblock-pr-4568.html
2xEK Nickel+Acetal Full Waterblocks: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...TX-NickelAcetal_Hot_Item.html?tl=g30c311s1174
Swiftech MCR320-QP triple rad: http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR320-QP-K-Triple-120mm-Radiator-Matt-Black-pr-3320.html#

The total runs about $460, not including tubing, coolant, etc.
Might throw in another single rad on the top 120mm fan just because it's cheap (~$20).

I appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
i believe you are really underadded....
the qp 320 would be enuff for cpu possibly but along with 2 470s nobody is going to be happy...i would say you could hang another qp320 on the back of the case...

I mean, I'm not looking for record low temps. It's just that my GPUs run at ~80 and because of that I can't OC them any. The Raven is really good at keeping my CPU temps down, but not my GPU temps.

I mean, I'm not looking for record low temps. It's just that my GPUs run at ~80 and because of that I can't OC them any. The Raven is really good at keeping my CPU temps down, but not my GPU temps.

The case isn't doing anything for your CPU temps, just the cooler is (they case might help with airflow...but the main thing is the CPU cooler. How about just watercooling your GPU's? That would be sufficient and you said you're happy with your CPU temps. You really won't see a temp drop with what you have listed now.

What I meant was that the airflow was good for the CPU, but not the GPU. Since there is no side fan blowing air into the GPU fan intakes, the GPU fan has to work harder (everything is blowing upward - case design) and is VERY loud.

I'm considering cooling just the GPUs; I figured I may as well throw in the CPU, but like you said it won't really affect anything.

If I go GPUs-only, could I do with a smaller pump like the MCP355 (so I could get a smaller res) or should I stick with the 655?

Well...first off, res size makes no difference. You can use either pump for either setup. Dual 470's are loud regardless of the case, take my word for it. Putting the CPU in the loop will most definitely affect anything...in fact, it will affect everything. Your CPU will run hotter, your GPUs will run hotter, you have the same surface area for a greater amount of dissipation. Check out skinneelabs.com, look at what that rad can dissipate. Also, you didn't list your fans, that's sorta a hugely important thing.

Because of the case design, all of the sound of the fan comes right out next to me. Ugh.

I may go for the MCP355 so I can use a single drive bay res, and it'll be cheaper, especially without the CPU ;)

I'm also thinking that if I want to cool the CPU I'll put in another small loop at some point in the future with a single rad.

I just have the three standard Silverstone 180mm fans in the bottom of the case and the 120mm on top. They're all running at 1000RPM, so a good deal of air moves through.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV02

I can put the MCR320-QP (what I planned to use) on top of the rear 2 180mm fans, and the single rad for the CPU on the 120mm fan up top.
I'll take a look at that site and figure out if that's the rad I really need.

So I was comparing pumps, and supposedly the Swiftech MCP355 is very loud compared to others like the 655 and 350. Should I go to the 350 (would that be good enough for the GPUs?) or stick with the 655 (with the res and pump, only $30 more than a comparable set up with the 350)?

Also, what the #@%& is a pump top?!?

Very loud meaning I can't hear my two 355 with XSPC restops over my very very quiet 1000 RPM rad fans?

Looks like you need the standard set of links. You surely need to learn more before you start ordering parts. You'll learn all about different pumps tops and if you dig deep you can also see what restops are good. Slow down and read for a while. In 4-10 hours of reading you'll get most of the info you need.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

The rad will NOT work with those 180mm fans. You'll have to gut the top of the case, make a bracket for all 3 120mm fans you need to buy. Or hang the rad off the back.

And a 120mm rad is NOT enough for a CPU only loop.

I just read that the 355 was "significantly" louder than the 655 and 350. Was trying to get some user feedback.

I've been reading all day, but the odds and ends like pump tops are things I still haven't come across. I'm trying to do this while wading through tons of engineering homework/reading...gah!

I've seen several people mount that exact radiator on the stock fans.

I wouldn't be OCing the CPU, so it would just be running stock.

Okay. Well, I gave you lots of links. You'll learn as you read.

All day? Took me 3 months before I bought my first WC part. It's simple physics, the execution is tricky.

This isn't the first time I've tried to get into WCing. I at least have the money now ;)

The plan is to set up everything during my spring break, since I'll have a week to dedicate to it. That gives me a few months, right? :)

BTW: How do you like the Koolance blocks? I've considered them and the EK 470 blocks, but don't know which way to go.

Check out skinneelabs.com, the 470 blocks should stack up just about identically to the 480 blocks.

You should read the sticky, get your mind around everything. I've seen the same thing you have with that case, and can tell you that it's worth the effort to do it right and not just bolt it on top. Just because it works doesn't mean it's ideal.

I like the 470 blocks, temps are good and Skinnees test show the 480 blocks are just fine.

Scroll down, my log on the 470's.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643159

Yep. Your timing is good. I was worried your jumping in to fast. We see it all the time. Sometimes it's just getting pointed to the right info. Digest it and you'll see what I mean about rad airflow and fans.

And what heatload a rad can remove. If you want quiet, a CPU needs a 120x2 min or possibly a good 140x1.

@Conundrum: I like the looks of those blocks (and the rest of the system too ;)). I've looked around and the Koolance and EK are the two most commonly recommended blocks. At that point it's essentially personal preference, since their performance is very similar.

I'm just going to leave the CPU alone at the moment. If I do consider it in the future, I'll take a look at better fans than the stock ones, or even something like the Corsair H70 (which will mount to the 120mm on top). I'd like to contain the LC system inside the case (sort of a purist when it comes to looks).

@m0r7if3r: The triple rad was meant to be put on top of the rear 2 180mm fans. The user manual actually provides instructions on how to mount them on the two fans. Really all that needs to happen is that the fan grills on one side come off.

@m0r7if3r: The triple rad was meant to be put on top of the rear 2 180mm fans. The user manual actually provides instructions on how to mount them on the two fans. Really all that needs to happen is that the fan grills on one side come off.

Just because silverstone put in a means for doing it doesn't mean it will work well. Go understand static pressure and you'll get why those big fans won't be much good for moving air through a rad.

a 180mm fan unless you have a special shroud will leak air out the sides. Air will take the easiest path, and thats not through the rads. You need decent CFM AND pressure, those 180mm fans have neither. As Mor said, you'll learn more as you read.

Of course you can do whatever you want, it's your stuff.

you said there's 3x 180's on the bottom? That's 540mm of space... sounds like a 120.4 would fit great there with 4x 120's on it. Just get those 180's outta there and if it doesn't look like you can work with the metal to get a solid mount, then get a 120.4 rad grill and cut a hole in the bottom. I am the type who likes to mod things and that's what I would do in your case (no pun intended). Its hard to judge by pictures alone... but putting a 120.4 on the bottom would definetly be doable, you might not be able to fit a fourth fan under the hdd cages though, but thats still better than a 120.3

Back