• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Raven RV02 LC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What's the deal with Tygon tubing? I hear it's good for areas with potential kinks (maybe some parts of my case, but probably not), but it's quite expensive compared to some others. Is there a good all-around brand of tubing that has multiple color options?

What's the deal with Tygon tubing? I hear it's good for areas with potential kinks (maybe some parts of my case, but probably not), but it's quite expensive compared to some others. Is there a good all-around brand of tubing that has multiple color options?

I have 1/2ID 3/4OD Tygon clear tubing and it's pretty tough to bend. You have to warm them up in my really hot water before you can bend them alot, but once they cool they hold their shape. From what I've been told, Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT tubing is as good or better than Tygon for evaporation rate, comes in different colors/uv treatments, and is more flexible.

Evaporation rate, wut? It's supposed to do tighter turns and is softer.

It doesn't let as much water evaporate through it as some of the cheap tubing does (like thermaltake crap), and yeah it makes better turns :) hence why I am going with some 1/2 UV blue when I get a new case.

It doesn't let as much water evaporate through it as some of the cheap tubing does (like thermaltake crap), and yeah it makes better turns :) hence why I am going with some 1/2 UV blue when I get a new case.

if water is evaporating from your tubing something completely different is wrong because your tubing is leaking.

if water is evaporating from your tubing something completely different is wrong because your tubing is leaking.
Most plastic type general tubing that you pick up from a hardware store is more porous than something like Tygon (which is still a little porous) and water will evaporate at a very slow rate through it. Hence why people have to fill there res every once in a while after a few months if they use lower quality tubing. I thought this was well-known knowledge? Maybe since so many people use quality tubing they don't really notice.

I came across the Primochill tubing while I was looking and liked the colors, so I may just go with that if the Tygon isn't really necessary. I just wish the Tygon came in more colors.

Primochill is very excellent tubing. You won't be dissapointed. I have been using lots of the same pieces of tubing for two years.:thup:

Tygon was the king, many have moved to Primo, and first timers just get Primochill now.

What's a reasonable amount of tubing? Somewhere around 6-7 ft? I don't think I'll mess up often/too badly ("measure twice, cut once...").

Any opinions on color? I said green earlier, but I like the white too. And blue is my favorite color.

10' is what's usually recommended. You'll have a little left over, but better too much than too little...and it's cheap (relatively) anyways.

Nope, just make sure you have clearance for the compressions and order angled ones or extenders as needed.

So I got my new High Flow Brackets from EVGA and they've dropped my temps considerably. I never see those 80C temps anymore, and was able to overclock to 750/1500/1800. I will definitely save up for this WC system; I've wanted a WC system since I built this computer, but never had the money for it.

Now that I know pretty much what I need and what to look for, I can just get parts as I get the money.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Hey guys, sorry to revive a seemingly long-dead post, but I have great news - I was able to get the funds to LC my system (after a P67 + 6950 2GB upgrade from X58 and the 470s) and finished it last week.
It just occurred to me that I had this thread here, and I wanted to update it in the event it would help somebody else with their potential Raven LC build.

The build consists of the following:
i5-2500K
Gigabyte P67-UD3-B3
4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 CL9
MSI HD 6950 2GB Reference
Corsair 950TX (upgraded for the third 470 I added a while ago)

The LC system is made up of:
XSPC X2O 750 Pump/Res
EK Supreme HF Full Copper CPU Block
EK FC6970 Nickel/Plexi GPU Block + Nickel Backplate
HWLabs SR-1 120mm rad + Scythe Slipstream 1600RPM
DangerDen (I think) Black Ice Xtreme III 360 rad + 3x Scythe Slipstream 1900RPM
Primochill Pro LRT 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD White tubing
Enzotech Black Compression Fittings

Below are a few pics - the entire build was cataloged on Tom's Hardware here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267276-29-completed-raven-rv02-build

I'd also like thank you guys for your help in building my LC system. Though I didn't end up here in the end, this thread was the start of my LC reading and building, and I definitely gained a ton of knowledge on the way. I think from here on out my build budget will have padding for a LC set up - I don't think I can go back to air :D

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Back