• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good/bad is the SIS Xabre 400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

I was wondering, my brother has a R9000 and it seems pretty nice. We added a better cooler to it and plan on tweaking a little bit. Anyhow, I was planning on getting an upgrade on my video card (right now it is a GF2 Ti 64mb). I was thinking about either getting a R8500, R9000, a GF4 MX, or a SIS Xabre. Does anyone have any expierence with this card (Xabre)? How well will it compete against the R9000? Also, what do you think my GF2 Ti would easily go up to from 250/400? Thanks a lot in advanced for any replies!

The Sabre is appearantly on par (perfomance wise) with the video card you currently have. I suggest upgrading to a Radeon 8500LE for $90.

Or (if you have the cash) splurge on a Geforce 4 Ti4200 for $140

I wouldn't by the Xabre card. When companies release new products like that, it will take time to iron out the bugs. Consider the 8500 or TI4200

Xabre is slower than the card ou have right now get the 8500LE best bang for buck....avoid Geforce4 MX like the plague.....

i agree with them get a ati 8500 128meg

or a ti geforce 4 ti 4200 128mb

or if u want to wait get the radeon 9500 pro. wich i think will be out on november.

But if u want a new card now get the ti 4200 128mb dont get the 64 meg version since games like Ut2003 wont run very smooth on high graphics

Thanks for the replies!
I was considering getting a 4200 or an 8500LE. Does the 128mb version of the Radeon have a slower clock rate than the 64. I know the 128 mb 4200 has a slower one then the 64. I heard the MSI GF4200 is a really good one to overclock. What type of clocks do you thinkmy GF2 Ti should get with a Blue Orb cooler on it? Also, my brother has a Radeon 9000....what do you think it would go up to with just a fan on the stock cooler? Thanks again for all of your help!

GF2 Ti 250/400
R9000 (regular) 250/400
They have the same clocks but the 9000 is a bit stronger.
What are specs for the 9500? Is it going to be 4200 equivelent, or will it be a bit stronger/weaker?

Anaxagoras1986 said:
GF2 Ti 250/400
R9000 (regular) 250/400
They have the same clocks but the 9000 is a bit stronger.
What are specs for the 9500? Is it going to be 4200 equivelent, or will it be a bit stronger/weaker?

9000 is a lot stronger than Geforce2 Ti.....

9500 is a good deal slower than 4200
9500Pro is a good deal better than 4200...its as fast as a 4400 in most things...but beats a 4600 when AA and Aniso are thrown into the mix.....

Ya I know that the 9000 is stronger...but what do you think the GF2ti should go up to? I have added a Blue Orb cooler and plan on putting some ram sinks on it.

xabre 400 is a directx8 card so even if you did buy that it would be an upgrade over your gf2 card. wouldn't be the smartest choice though.

Anaxagoras1986 said:
Thanks for the replies!
I was considering getting a 4200 or an 8500LE. Does the 128mb version of the Radeon have a slower clock rate than the 64. I know the 128 mb 4200 has a slower one then the 64. I heard the MSI GF4200 is a really good one to overclock. What type of clocks do you thinkmy GF2 Ti should get with a Blue Orb cooler on it? Also, my brother has a Radeon 9000....what do you think it would go up to with just a fan on the stock cooler? Thanks again for all of your help!

the 8500 LE comes with BGA memory if it is a newer card like mine and you may be lucky and get 3.3 ns ddr ram. It is clocked at 250/250 and will easily do 300/300 on stock cooling.

It is your best bang for the $$ , can find em for $90 online as mentioned already.

Cisco KID

residentevil2 said:
maybe 270 on the core and 450-460 on the memory im not geforce 2 expert but this is my guess.

and the 9000 might get on stock 280 500 or so

Would that memory clock of approx 450 be with or with out the ramsinks on it? How much do you think peltierizing the card would help for the core? And (just wondering) would freezing the RAM make a difference? And is the blue orb a good cooler for the GF2?
Thanks alot for all of your help guys!

Anaxagoras1986 said:

Would that memory clock of approx 450 be with or with out the ramsinks on it? How much do you think peltierizing the card would help for the core? And (just wondering) would freezing the RAM make a difference? And is the blue orb a good cooler for the GF2?
Thanks alot for all of your help guys!

if your ram is 5.5ns like my Geforce2 Pro was then you should be able to get to 460...if its 5ns then 480-500 isnt out of the question....you can get up to 270-280 on the core...i wouldnt use more than a nice heatsink on it though as the Geforce2s are held back by memory bandwith...the blorb sucks, get a crystal orb, or even better epoxy on an old 486/Pentium heatsink....ramsinks could help you get up to 460-470, freezing would help you go quite a bit higher *IF* youre willing to do a volt mod....:)

Damn! The Blorb sucks? I already ordered one...oh well, it was only 7 bucks...i guess I'll find some other use for it. Do you think it would be better than my stock heatsink cuz it looks REALLY whimpy! It is one of those really slim things where the fan is in the middle and then it has tiny little fins on the peremeter of the thing that are only like 1/4 inch tall. I cant get my monitoring utility for it to work so I cant tell how hot it is but it feels pretty warm to the touch.
The RAM chips say -4.5L on them. They are built by "EliteMT". If I did freeze it (a 72watt should be more than adeqate right?), what do you think it could hit for core temps? How much do you think a volt mod would help? I doubt they even have them out for my card though...its not a very widely produced card.

Last edited:
I just got done looking at the reivews of ATI's new babies. The 9500pro does look mighty tasty. Once it is out a couple months, it could be come the new Ti4200.

Don't forget that the Radeon 9000 is DX 8.1 compliant, where as the GF4 MX is only DX 7. I would get the Radeon 9000, it's a nice for the $.

Back