• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How pitiful is my motherboard?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

I got a new Albatron 4200P Turbo to replace my ancient MX400, and it ran kinda slow, like never above 7000 3dMarks. So I reinstalled XP, the ALi AGP drivers, and Detonator in that order, and the speeds stayed the same. yay.

The board is an ECS K7AMA (budget board, but stable). Say my Albatron actually did hit 7k, isn't that less than 75% of what my CPU can get?

I expected the board to slow it down by a thousand or so marks, but not 5000! Is my board truly that craptastic, or am i missing something?

it IS running at AGP 4x, but i dunno whether fastwrites or any other stuff is that important, or what it should be.

Thanks for any help, i've posted this message twice before in different words, and got 30+ reads and 0 replies!

Is that the ALi chipset that runs both SDR and DDR? I have the ASUS version of that. Running with PC2100@PC1600 speeds Micron and my memory bandwidth was less than that of PC133(according to Sandra).

I never did get the ALi AGP driver to work with my 8500 when I had it. ALi's IDE driver didn't seem to make a difference either.

All in all, great for people who browse, do word, and email(read: cheap and easy ram upgrade). Gaming was hardly great, but it worked. Definately slower than average tho'.

aHAA! knew it. But should the 3dMarks still be THAT low?

and, yes, its the SD/DDR one.

aHAA! knew it. But should the 3dMarks still be THAT low?

Well, a ECS K7S5A, which is the chipset which supports both SDR and DDR ram halfed my 3dmark2001se score.. dunno though dude. I would get a decent board if I where you, even if its just a KT133A or something.

The K7S5A uses a SiS chipset, so it's different in that respect. I guess if that halfed yer score and that's a better board, i better go after a better board. Thanx RuKK, that's some info I was looking for.

Back