• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my motherboard damaged?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree with t1nm4n, it's tough to tell exactly what your issue is because it could be a problem with the motherboard because it was mounted without standoffs. Doing a clean OS, install and then installing as little as possible to get the game you play running, to see if it is fixed would be my next step.

How will replacing the board work out? Do I need to reinstall Windows if I buy another MSI Gaming 5. Will the board have the latest bios? I really do not have a lot of time for an RMA since I move in to college in a month. Should I just get a different board entirely like maybe gigabyte for dual bios(less risk of bios update failure) and since I no longer have interest in overclocking my processor, and since I will have to pay for this board with my own money, other components purchased as a gifts for graduating. What should I do about the TIM if I RMA or get a new board, meaning what is a good replacement TIM for the H100I that is nonconductive electricity? And what method should I use, if I get a different board to reinstall OS for wiping the SSDs and HDDs clean. Do I just have windows wipe the SSD then format the SSD and HDD through window?

I think Mandrake is right, that's your best bet, if that doesn't work it will have to be RMA'd. I'm sure others here know the best practices to RMA an item and could help you when/if it comes to that.

the drive like the pc is just over a month old

My PNY Optima 120 GB SSD was just purchased recently at the time, too and had to factory-reset it, because randomly, I got major lag. A Halo CE server also randomly gave me a warning that I'm about to be kicked for high ping!

Halo CE can interpret a drive problem as a network problem!

I would be surprised if you tried RMAing the motherboard if it was actually replaced. If the issues you are having were caused by mounting it without standoffs and or burning up something from putting the fan on the header wrong. If MSI sees physical damage on the board I would doubt they will replace it. Then again they may.

guys, I would like him to do a full cmos reset and set the ram up properly first.
if you re read this thread and ignore the board misinstall it reads like a bios corruption, operating system installed with more than one dive installed or ram running in single channel and all on auto.

How do you reset cmos? And what do you mean by setting up the ram up properly? We just put the ram until it clicked. As I keep asking RMA or not, just in case what is a good replacement nonconductive TIM. Since I may have to remove the cpufrom the h100i?

drag out the motherboard manual, it will tell you to unplug the power cord, remove the battery, and move a jumper from one set of pins to the other for a while.
also, check that you have the memory in the correct slots, read the manual.
did you install the operating system with more than one drive installed?
make sure you have the boot drice plugged into the correct sata port.

clearing the cmos is on page 1-27 of your manual, set the thing on a desk on it's side to do this, while your in there be sure your boot drive is in sata port 1 or two.
check the memory installation instructions in your manual, install only two sticks of ram for right now, the slots are numbered from the cpu to the outside of the board, next to the cpu is slot 1, put a stick of ram in slot 2 and one in slot 4, the one furthest from the cpu.

Last edited:
I will not be able to take a look at my bios until I come back from my vacation late monday.

- - - Updated - - -

I did install the is with more than one drive connected

wrongety wrong, wrong, wrong.
you get to reinstall with only the boot drive installed, after we get it running right, then you can add a drive or two.

Ok I did install ram slot 2 and ram slot 4 when I built the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok will do when I able to. Do I have to format the other two drives since most of my data are in the 2nd SSD and HDD

You shouldn't need to reformat the other drives, and you should be able to save all of the data on them (aside from installed programs, as those will need to be reinstalled).

Okay i reinstalled the os the stutters still have not been fixed. I then replaced the motherboard with the z97a gaming 7 this time I installed stands offs. Yet I still am experiencing stutters. I have the ram in slot 2 and 4 like the manual says and I have it set to XMP so it runs at 2133mhz. I insalled windows the way you said. And to add on my previous system build already had built in standoffs since it was a cheap case. I looked and saw that the case had metal raised points near the screw holes. I got stutters in my old system as well. I still do not know what is causing them. The only thing that I used on this build that I used on my old build was the Windows installation CD. Sorry for the late reply I was testing for the past week. What else do you think it could be?

Is the CPU or GPU dropping clocks when you get the stutter?
What are your temps when it happens?

how can you check cpu clock speed in games? My temps for my cpu stay below 50 c while gaming, my gpu stays below 75 c while gaming. Gpu utilization is around 100%

msi afterburner won't allow me to see CPU clock speeds, just gpu but i do have my PC on high performance. My gpu clock goes from 1380-1405 mhz. Open Hardware monitoir and cpu-z say that idol my cpu runs at 4.4 ghz since i set my power plan to high performance. Samsung magician says my evo ssd is in good health. Crucial; executive says that my bx100 is in good health if that matters.

Back