• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to safely O.C. a gtx 260 on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3dmk06 will show a weakness in the CPU as it uses the CPU numbers (including clockspeed and amount of cores) in its equation to get the total score.

Not all the time however, I showed 4 phase change/LN2 setups what air power could do by overclocking a 8600GT 100% on air in a OC competition(vmod for vGPU and vMem was required), but yes, heat is often the limiting factor. Too bad I can't just use my Accelero SP1 on this card, would've been awesome

btw, the bios flash, does it really work?

edit: what does a stock card show for voltage in nibitor?

mine shows this:

Extra: 1.12
3D: 1.05
2D: 1.05

So I think my card already has the mod done by default right?
This is for the GTX 260 216 and likely others in the family is what card I am specifically talking about about. Lets stick to the context.

Maybe it does vary, I mentioned that. However mods at evga forums state 1.06v is the reference extra voltage for 55nm gtx 260 216.

the bios flash for me. See my thread I linked (or check threads I created in my profile) about my transition from air to water and the clocks I got with each and the bump in voltage.

post edited

"furmark and atitool for stressing components"

although i know that atitool doesn't work in sli setup (only on 1 card) at least on my rig
can someone tell us pls if furmark and atitool work in sli?

benched my card today with Vantage, score: 13672!

(click to enlarge)

still not max of what it can do, so I'm going to keep on pushing it!

to compare it with other ppl's score in here, redo the bench without physx on

edit:

i ran the test again with sli off we can't compare results since my i7 chews your c2d in cpu tests and i got 13k points without ppu
we should focus on the gpu score only.

scored the same as you (20 pt less) with 756 - 1512 - 1188 and the temp was 58C

your temp is a little bit high, what cooling solution do you have now?

because it showed 71C on yours but in normal gaming (after 1 hr) i wouldn't be surprised if it hits over 80C and i suppose at that temp and those clocks it will artifact i suppose or it might crash (don't worry vista will tell you the driver has stopped working bla bla)

nice OC btw, if you had a more powerful cpu you would have gained approx 100 points more in the gpu score (which isn't much) and difference in games between i7 and c2d is barely noticeable.

if you can do it just do as i showed in the pic i posted, it will lower your temps about 10-15C and you may even get a stable clock with 780-1600-1200

i'll wait for your reply =)

Last edited:
The HSF on stock reference GTX 260 is one of the best nVidia has ever designed. Earlier on I was thinking about getting a water block for my GTX 260 but despite overclocking it to 660/1400/2400 with 65% fan, the load temp doesn't even hit 70C max.

Basically, I'm not worried a lot and besides, I can still bump the fan speed more if needed :) Btw, my CPU is still cooled by water.

Actually if you push it too hard and if there's artifact, you get a lower score instead of a higher one :)

It didn't artifact, it didn't even artifact at 771 core, however it did crash at the end of the last gpu test :bang head

Still, I find 756 a very respectable OC :)

but as i have stated, temp might get higher after 20 mins of stress,
it will reach 80C and at those speeds it will artifact.

the gpu is asking for it, COOL IT! =)

My XFX can't even do 700Mhz without artifact. What's wrong with that? Does the forceware driver matters?

pls, don't just say xfx

write down what model you have, all the frequencies , the temps and your computer specs

this will help me and others try to give you an answer.

and Drinkyyoughurt, the addition fan doesn't cost more than 10$

pls, don't just say xfx

write down what model you have, all the frequencies , the temps and your computer specs

this will help me and others try to give you an answer.

and Drinkyyoughurt, the addition fan doesn't cost more than 10$

Oh you meant that?

That won't have an effect on my card, the stock cooling solution is different on my Sparkle + I already have my casefan pointed at my card :)

gtx3l.jpg

Oh you meant that?

That won't have an effect on my card, the stock cooling solution is different on my Sparkle + I already have my casefan pointed at my card :)

the casefan won't do.

i am basing my answers on the temp you told us.

after 2 of those tests even with only 1 card running, my temp was 58C
your temp was 13C higher, this means your card idles also 13C higher, which leads me to suppose there is some stagnant air where your gpu fan lies.

the best solution would be 2 fans, 1 blowing at the gpu fan and another in the front taking the heat away

as last question, have you tried playing for more than 20 mins and see if it artifacts and what temps it reaches?

the casefan won't do.

i am basing my answers on the temp you told us.

after 2 of those tests even with only 1 card running, my temp was 58C
your temp was 13C higher, this means your card idles also 13C higher, which leads me to suppose there is some stagnant air where your gpu fan lies.

the best solution would be 2 fans, 1 blowing at the gpu fan and another in the front taking the heat away

as last question, have you tried playing for more than 20 mins and see if it artifacts and what temps it reaches?

The reason for my GPU becoming so hot is because I have my fan set at 55% and not 60, with the fan at 100% it barely breaks 55c. The card also idles at around 43c which isn't that hot at all.

The reason for my GPU becoming so hot is because I have my fan set at 55% and not 60, with the fan at 100% it barely breaks 55c. The card also idles at around 43c which isn't that hot at all.

then go higher!!! until you notice a drop in performance in vantage or artifacts

hold on, with what are you overclocking the card?
in 5 years of OC i have never had 1 single BSOD because of the gpu (but a lot from the cpu XD)

I don't believe it is voltage related, and someone stated it would BSOD with shaders lower than double the rop clock, but as i said rivatuner wouldn't even allow that kind of thing.

i am out of replies maybe someone else can answer, in the meanwhile don't try to push it higher

Back