• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 Plus Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyler Bro

Registered
I just got the Hyper 212 Plus Heat-sync fan and compared to the stock cooling on my i7 2600k, I noticed a difference right away.

Idle temps for the hyper is around 40c for me

and doing a torture test in prime95 for 20 minutes, it sat around 70-75c

Is this stable enough or should I lower the overclock?

It's currently at 4.2ghz from 3.4 atm.

http://puu.sh/2xZmN

40°C idling and 70/75°C on load is VERY high for a [email protected] cooled by a 212. You should be in the higgh50's low 60's max, on load.

I noticed in some other thread that you have an issue with your Bios and use OC genie, and I would bet it's the problem: auto overclock usually gives much more vCore than needed.

40°C idling and 70/75°C on load is VERY high for a [email protected] cooled by a 212. You should be in the higgh50's low 60's max, on load.

I noticed in some other thread that you have an issue with your Bios and use OC genie, and I would bet it's the problem: auto overclock usually gives much more vCore than needed.

I had a friend of mine, he's a computer tech, professional and he installed it for me and I asked him about temps and he said that 100% cpu 80, 90c is fine, 100 is pushing it so shouldn't 68-70c be fine?

Temps are fine in the way that the max temp is 98°C before the CPU starts throttling.

But they are not because with the voltage set by OC Genie, you would certainly be able to reach 4.4 or 4.5GHe without stability issue.

You'd better solve your Bios issue and OC through it: less vCore, higher OC, lower temps ;)

Edit: the 2600k can not reach 100°C. It downclocks when it reaches 98°C, unlss you disable the thermal protection in the Bios (never disable thermal protection, lol!)

Last edited:
Temps are fine in the way that the max temp is 98°C before the CPU starts throttling.

But they are not because with the voltage set by OC Genie, you would certainly be able to reach 4.4 or 4.5GHe without stability issue.

You'd better solve your Bios issue and OC through it: less vCore, higher OC, lower temps ;)

Edit: the 2600k can not reach 100°C. It downclocks when it reaches 98°C, unlss you disable the thermal protection in the Bios (never disable thermal protection, lol!)

So do you think I should be good for now? I'll work on my bios and hopefully get it fixed soon. My friend is coming here again on friday.

Yes, don't worry, your cpu is fine.

And work out this bios issue: you'll get the virus of manual overclocking and finding the perfect balance between vCore, frequency and so many other factors!

The Hyper 212 is the only heatsink I have ever used, so I have installed them numerous times.With good cooling your idle temps should be lower.I have a FX6300,and it keeps it nice and cool.18C-45C. My average temps for my amd 965 @ 125watts was
30C -55C.

-Those temps are to high,but not dangerous.

-What kind of airflow,and case do you have?

-How much thermal paste did you use?

Refer to this...

http://www.benchmarkreviews.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

Last edited:
Those temps are high,but not dangerous.What kind of cooling,and case do you have?

How much thermal paste did you use?

The Hyper 212 is the only heatsink I have ever used, so I have installed them numerous times.With good cooling your idle temps should be around 30c.I have a FX6300,and it keeps it nice and cool.30C -45C.

Refer to this...

http://www.benchmarkreviews.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

I have an antec case and my cooling is the hyper 212? lol

2xZE7

Your airflow looks fine, so I might look at application.Its easy to go overboard using these for the first time, but that guide above should give you some good pointers.

Edit: MSI auto OC feature....Use the bios to adjust vs software based programs.

temps are high because OP is using the MSI auto OC feature, certainly feeding the CPU with more volts than it needs.
+1 I run less Cpu V on my 2500k @ 4.7 1.256 with the llc kicking in under full load.

Tyler you should set everything back to default and read this article it is a pretty easy and straightforward way to overclock that CPU.

You may want to read this for your Bios problem

Last edited:
+1 I run less Cpu V on my 2500k @ 4.7 1.256 with the llc kicking in under full load.

Tyler you should set everything back to default and read this article it is a pretty easy and straightforward way to overclock that CPU.

You may want to read this for your Bios problem

I reset my cmos. I think it's my keyboard.

I see press del for setup, I hit del and nothing happens.

Back