• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper threading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its still at 50% so is prime. heck i even ran prime witht another cpu program just to get 100%

j2me_tech said:

cpu, memory benchies. :D :D
my best so far is like 108xx mips and 57xx sandra memory. i cant get my memory to OC so im stuck just under ddr400 :(
i might just need more mem vcore, im not sure but i cant get past ddr400 right now.

jdmcnudgent said:
prime does not know how to use both cpu's.:(

agree, b'coz prime95 is not utilise for HT. tat's y we need to run 2 prime95 to make it use 100% of cpu usage. :)

azn, reinstall windows will give u better score, i hit 11*** cpu arithmetic with 295fsb. :p

j2me_tech said:

agree, b'coz prime95 is not utilise for HT. tat's y we need to run 2 prime95 to make it use 100% of cpu usage. :)

azn, reinstall windows will give u better score, i hit 11*** cpu arithmetic with 295fsb. :p
howw do u run 2 prime or folding?

AZN said:

my best so far is like 108xx mips and 57xx sandra memory.

That actually sounds about right. I see ~10200 at 3.32Ghz, so for 6% more Mhz you're getting 6% more Sandra points.

agree, b'coz prime95 is not utilise for HT. tat's y we need to run 2 prime95 to make it use 100% of cpu usage.

I'm tellin' you guys, running two instances of Prime isn't going to do much of anything. Prime already uses every part of the chip that it can as a single thread.

AZN,
this is for you ---> Click;)

NookieN,
u might be correct, but from the temp difference(3c) that i had gotten between running 1 prime & 2 prime, i assumed that running 2 prime stressed my rig even more. ;)

Meh, maybe. On a dual channel system two Primes might be able to do slightly more work than one. With my single channel system I don't see any temperature difference with two instances.

As I said earlier, you're probably better off running two different things (such as Prime and Sandra, or Prime and folding, etc).

NookieN said:
Meh, maybe. On a dual channel system two Primes might be able to do slightly more work than one. With my single channel system I don't see any temperature difference with two instances.

As I said earlier, you're probably better off running two different things (such as Prime and Sandra, or Prime and folding, etc).

yeah, agree with u. :) usually when i change the fsb, i'll run 2 prime for 2hrs(b'coz it stress more if compare to folding, so if it's not stable, i'll know faster). after 2hrs of 2 prime, i'll exit 1 of the prime & replace it with folding for another 24hrs. :D

I'm tellin' you guys, running two instances of Prime isn't going to do much of anything. Prime already uses every part of the chip that it can as a single thread. [/B]

with true dual machines, at least, running two prime95's is the norm...then 100% of the cpus are being stress tested....

i would think it would be the same for hyperthreading machines....

For an SMP system, yes running two Primes makes sense. The problem with running two copies of Prime on an HT system is that a single thread already uses all of the execution units it can. Hyperthreading works by letting another thread use an otherwise idle part of the chip. Prime, however, uses only a few datapaths in the chip (mostly SIMD floating point, plus memory operations).

There's a short thread that has more on this topic here: http://www.mersenneforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=453

For an SMP system, yes running two Primes makes sense. The problem with running two copies of Prime on an HT system is that a single thread already uses all of the execution units it can. Hyperthreading works by letting another thread use an otherwise idle part of the chip. Prime, however, uses only a few datapaths in the chip (mostly SIMD floating point, plus memory operations).

There's a short thread that has more on this topic here: http://www.mersenneforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=453

oh, ok...good link...

so if i understand correctly...there hyperthreading allows the processor to do multiple DIFFERENT types of processes at the same time...therefore, since two instances of prime would be the same type of processes...both processes would compete for the same "part" of the processor...

but an interesting test for using 100% of a hyperthreading machine would be this: Run SETI in screensaver mode...because SETI is normally a non-SMP program...but when using the screensaver mode it becomes a dual processor capable program i think....one processor for the SETI visual graphic screen saver and the other for the calculations....

therefore i think on a hyperthreading machine the processor might be able to do both parts of the screensaver SETI at the same time for faster overall performance and a test at 100% processor usage...

what do ya think?

Back