• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600k overclock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
I was watching a video on youtube. The video is a "safe" overclock. Here is the link to the video
The guy in the video changed "Adjust CPU Ratio" to 44 and change the "CPU core voltage" to 1.140. The video is on a i5 4670k. My questions are, since I have a i5 6600k

1. Will these numbers work safe for me?

2. Is there any adjustment you would recommended? (Either safer or faster)

3. Any good benchmark for me to test?

I have a MSI M5 MOBO, Cryorig H7 air cooled

What I did was a 4.4 overclock on my i5 6600K. I have Ripjaws V ddr4-3000 but when I used the XMP feature on the MOBO it would crash. So I manually set it to 2800. I didn't touch the voltage to the Ram. The voltage for the cpu was adjusted to ~1.25v. I'm not shooting for a super overclock or even try to push the limit. I just want something safe and reliable OC. Here are some screen shot, if someone could look over it and see if there is anything they would adjust. CPU-Z benchmark CPU single 2243 and CPU Multi 8785

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (4).png Screenshot (5).png

I have the same ram but what mobo do you have and why if its rated 3000mhz you are running it at 2800 if xmp not work why do not set it manual at 3000mhz then?

mine is running perfect at 3200mhz with no extra volt.
And if you use prime take version 27,9 not the latest.
what cooler do U use?

Last edited:
Will the DDR4-3000 run at stock XMP with stock CPU clock?

No

I have the same ram but what mobo do you have and why if its rated 3000mhz you are running it at 2800 if xmp not work why do not set it manual at 3000mhz then?

I just figured that it was unstable at 3000 mhz (which is what XMP should set it to) so I backed it off a bit to 2800.

I try to manual set it to 3000 mhz vs doing with XMP. It still crashed. Should I return them? Not really going to make a difference from 2800-3000

1. set all at auto or load setup defaults, then only enable XMP and check if it's working, don't touch any other options
2. if it's working then memory is fine, if not then you can disable XMP, set x30 memory ratio, 16-16-16 main timings command rate 2 and 1.35V ( relaxed settings just to try )
3. if it will work then can try tighten the timings and check again, if it won't then I would check the latest BIOS and if it still won't run then contact MSI or G.Skill ( I guess that G.Skill support will be much more helpful )

I had no issues with any memory kits on MSI boards and all share the same BIOS and microcode updates. Hard to say what can be the issue in this case.

If I swap out the ddr4 will I have to redo this stress test again or is the stress just for CPU overclock. What I'm asking is, is it as simple as sawpping the RAM out and xmp the RAM, and your done?

It might be OK but you'll likely have to make some adjustments

Back