• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm done with watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeCrappa

I'm done with watercooling. I finally want to make my computer portable so I'm going back to air. I'm using a Thermalright SLK-600 that Hoot sold me a while back.

My 2 year watercooling journey is finally over.

-EDITED BY SSS
Please remember not all members have 100 posts and cant view the Classifieds, so the link to the sales was sadly removed

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear, but i understand 100% it can be a pain sometimes... you should see my wc setup rite now:D :D :D

I was watercooled and refrigerated. At the top of my game it was idling 10.5C and 15C at load @ 150x12.5 . I'm happy with stock now, since I don't really do anything. I've lost interest in overclocking, sorry to say. I've taken up an interest where you can actually feel the difference in making it faster, cars. I have my 1991 Toyota MR2 N/A that I want to overclock and such. hehehe.

i feel u man... i am backing outa the oc scene... i do WC for silence purposes and mine is self contained

right now its all about the paintball.. then when i got that overclocked lol ill start spened on my truck... or ill be getting either a prelude or an integra maby somthen else...

Nah, I'm trying to slap on a turbo, but I need to do a rebuild first. I've been spending less time on the overclockers forums and more time on the MR2 forums. That's where I've been all this time. Sorry guys, but overclocking just doesn't do it for me anymore. No adrenaline rush like driving fast! And what more of a hobby than cars for a 17 year old senior in high school! WOOO!

My Baby

C'mon guys! Help me out, I need to sell my parts!

its an irony.... I am in the middle of switching from air cooling to water cooling... and I just order about US$ 520 of stuff last week..... the newegg.com order already shipped out.... :rolleyes:

one comes and one goes

JoeCrappa said:
Nah, I'm trying to slap on a turbo, but I need to do a rebuild first. I've been spending less time on the overclockers forums and more time on the MR2 forums. That's where I've been all this time. Sorry guys, but overclocking just doesn't do it for me anymore. No adrenaline rush like driving fast! And what more of a hobby than cars for a 17 year old senior in high school! WOOO!

My Baby

C'mon guys! Help me out, I need to sell my parts!

YGPM

Heh! Here in Alabama we don't have LAN parties. However we do have tons of fun accross campus on the T3 lines. <g>

Sorry to hear you're getting out. He's right tho you'll be back. Instead of that nicce regrigerator mod. Next time you'll be back jsut to get rid of the Jet Noise. <g>

I thought you would know this by now but you can make a REALLY nice portable computer thats watercooled... Ive made one that I put inside a metal granade box.

btw I know how you feel, it takes up alot of money and more time thin its worth if you dont like doing it. Prolly after Im done with my phase-change system Im working on I wont be working on my computer nearly as much.:eek:

You have a 1990 mr2 mkII.. so you have the 5sfe engine right? They got the 3sge in 93 correct? I think an entire, correctly done turbocharging system for the 5sfe might cost more than a 3sgte (turbo) engine swap.. I raced my friend's '93 turbo once. Like a little rocket. He beat me, but that was before I had nitrous. I easily spent more than my engine was worth in turbo junk, but I crashed and killed that car.(92 mx3) Luckily the nitrous kit was long gone before I put that rear end into a tree! I drive a '95 1.8l Miata now, nothing done to it except a trust front strut bar. Most of the stuff I want cost in the thousands :( www.todaracing.com Nice to see another enthusiast! :D

I own a 1991 MR2, and actually MR2's in the USA never had 3SGE's. Only a certain year of the Celica got the 3SGE.

I plan to turbo my motor. There is already a cheap plan others have taken on turboing the 5SFE. The stock 3sgte exhaust manifold fits onto the 5SFE, as does the intercooler and turbo. The Advantage of this is that it has higher displacement and I'm going to get a spare 5SFE from my mechanic's next 3SGTE swap anyways. So while I'm waiting for my 5SFE to crack (138k miles and counting) I'll be building and forging the spare 5SFE I get from my mechanic (free). That's why I choose 5SFTE and not 3SGTE. And yes, it is good to see another enthusiast!

btw supposedly this guy who turboed his 5SFE is doing 13's for sure at only 7 psi. I hope I can get 13's too, on 7 psi!

Jaime

All I have to say is that I could submerse my computer completely in L2N for a year or more and still not touch the cost of buying a turbo for my 99 Protégé and turning it into the 03 mazdaspeed protégé.

I'll stick with my cheap computer ovcerclocking before I splurge $3000 on a turbo LoL!

-Toysrme

Toysrme said:
All I have to say is that I could submerse my computer completely in L2N for a year or more and still not touch the cost of buying a turbo for my 99 Protégé and turning it into the 03 mazdaspeed protégé.

I'll stick with my cheap computer ovcerclocking before I splurge $3000 on a turbo LoL!

-Toysrme

I don't know...turbo will push you back into your seat (and keep you stuck), you can't get that with a super fast overclocked computer.

I'd rather spend for the turbo...

vroooooooooooom pshhhhh

I overclock my computer because I can't afford to overclock my car. I can only afford 1 car, and I need it to be 100% reliable. Sometime in the near future that will change, but for now I only overclock computers.:)

the MR2 guys on MR2 forums often recommend a 3SGTE swap to the 5SFE route.

But people can get them to work...how long is another question.

mfpmax said:
the MR2 guys on MR2 forums often recommend a 3SGTE swap to the 5SFE route.

But people can get them to work...how long is another question.

Ok, here is my answer to your question.

http://www.board.mr2faq.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99686

This is a thorough thread on how to turbo the 5SFE. I know its not the smartest way to go or the most efficient. But I want to do it just because everybody says to do the 3SGTE swap. Mike Colon is doing 10's on his 5SFTE.
'
Jaime

Back