• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Incredibly low 3dmark 2001 SE scores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top_bullfrog

Registered
Hi,

I just recently upgraded my computer to a XP2400+ from an XP1700+. During the switchover, i had to re-install windows 2000 pro. I've tried 4 different sets of drivers, the latest ones from NVidia, 41.09(i read previous threads), the 42.30 from gainward and those that came on my install CD. These would've been the only drivers i would've tried on my previous install. Thr problem is i keep getting very low scores for my setup. The most i've gotten is about 7700 and the lowest is 6897. I'm using the default settings on my video card, which is a gainward TI4200. On my old setup, i got at least 9000 on average. I have win2k Pro, shuttle SK41G(FX41 mobo), xp 2400+, 512 kingston 2100 DDR, directx 9.0 and a gainward GF4 ti4200. With this setup, i know i should be getting higher scores. Does anyone have suggestions on drivers, or tweaks that i could use? I'd like to get my computer running its best, and to get good 3dmark scores. Thanks a bunch.

Bullfrog

One thing...was your 9000 score with DX 9 or not...when I installed DX 9 I dropped by almost 500 marks...and are you rebooting and defragging the HD in between runs?

No, the 9000 score is with 8.1. Yes, i rebooted between runs because i tried different drivers. I'll try defragging. Would you suddest a version of drivers i could try to improve performance?

You shouldn't need to defrag a drive right after reinstalling.

Hmm... are you sure you don't have vsync, aniso or FSAA on?

the defragging is almost done, i'll reboot and try it after that. I also looked through my video card settings and vsync was on by default, i'll try again with it off. Ebery other performance reducing setting i saw was already turned off. I'll post back with results to see if it changed anything. BTW, I currently have the 41.09's installed, should i go with the latest or should i stay where i am?

I didn't have the 1700 overclocked. I have both processors running on a 133 mhz bus. I did everything suggested above and my score is 7475. I'll try some newer drivers and see how they do.

I have a 200 watt PSU that came with the xpc. For those that didnt know, the shuttle sk41g's use a seperate 12v wire to power the cpu. I dont know if that could have anything to do with it.
According to MBM5, my core 0 voltage is 1.86v, my core 1 voltage is 1.46, my +5 is 5.21, my +12 is 11.81, my -12 is 10.75(whoa), and my -5 is -4.98. the last 2 measurements didn't show up in my normal settings in MBM 5, i had to change it, so my +5 didn't show.

No, i don't have a west facing window in my room, so the sun can't set in it.

I feel like a noob for asking this, but how would i uninstall DX9, or is it even possible?

Thanks for all your help so far!

stupid question, but what exactly does V-sync do? keep seeing people say turn it off to fix low scores so it's obviously taking a lot of computing cycle, what's it doing with them?

The PSU could very easily be your problem. I had a 350 w enermax powering this first rig in my sig and thought everything was fine, but I was getting around 12500-13000 3dmarks no matter what I did. Popped in the 430w true power and bam 16k (card at stock for both scores) and the system was running a whole lot hotter. I guess it was getting the need voltage so the vid card was heating up like never before.

Does your vid card run pretty cool? I could run tons of voltage through the core and mem with out it getting too hot and now at stock its hot to the touch.

Its something to consider. I'm no expert, but should you be getting 10k+ with that setup shouldn't you?

ps you could always move up to a sparkle 350w for relatively cheap.

hmm, PSU, wonder if that's why my 3d mark score is low too, only about 10500 on 2001 and i've seen people around 13000-14000 with ti4200's, and I also can't OC my card worth **** even water cooled, 290/580 was the best I could do on my ti4400.

running 2x athlon MP2000+ OCed to 1800mhz, 1.85v, ti4400 OCed to 290/580, 2 7200RPM HD's, 2 120mm fans at 12v, 1 92mm fan at 12v, all on a antec truepower 430, think i'm maxing out the PSU and not getting enough voltage, that's why i'm running suck low scores and can't OC much at all, especialy since my GPU is water cooled?

Well I was at 10,977 on mine...when I installed DX 9 I couldn't break 9,100...and that was with me installing DX 9 only...no other settings changes at the time...and a bunch of other people have stated the same thing about DX 9 dropping there 2001 score from 1,000+ marks...so yes DX 9 is a possibility for the drop in score...

And DX 9 would make your score rise since you have a DX 9 card...on a non DX 9 card...a majority of the peoples scores had a major drop...

Back