• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a 478 w/o the locking arm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So in addition to my problem of a screwy BIOS ( see here ), I have another comp that has the locking arm on the 478 socket broken off (note to self: dont invite non techie friends over when working on comps...). Is it possible to install the CPU back into the socket without the arm? I can only get the thing to move about half of the way it's supposed to be. Sometimes it gets hot when you turn on the comp, most of the time not. When it gets hot, does that mean its in and working, or just kinda in? Am I gonna have to spend $50 on a cheapy mobo (not a huge deal, im in the process of building another comp, $50 compared to $2000+ isn't really a problem)?

erm... stick a pin in and slide the socked cover up haha... ionno how to help you, maybe yu could stick a plastic thingy and put some putty next to the side, and stick it in the hole left by the arm... if the arm is snapped, just move the arm...

Back