• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel D 805 OC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been here but this project comming up I knew the place to go from my past experience!

As many of you I am sure I read the THG article on the 4.1ghz OC of the D 805 B0. So of course I jumped on it. Currently I have a P4 650 3.4 OC'd to 4.05 (4.2 in the winter...house to warm in the summer to sustain it hehe) without issue on air with a zalman copper heatsink (I cant remember the model but its that huge one that looks like a flower)

Anyway I picked up an 805 at newegg and also decided to get and try the same HSF that they used in the THG article (ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink) to see if it works any better than the one I currently have.

The chip should be arriving today and I am dissapointed that I wont have time this evening to start messing with it but that gives me the chance to ask a couple questions first.

What is the temperature range at which the CPU begins to throtle back (i.e. what should I keep it under).

The mobo it will be on is my Abit AW8-Max.

Thanks..more to come I am sure :)

You will want at least BIOS version 14 in order to fully support a Pentium D. I think thermal throttling begins somewhere above 70 degrees, but the Abit AW8 series tends to report lower than actual temps.

for most CPU's i would say keep it below 50C if you can, 55C is probably safe, but after that i just dont like my temps that high.

good luck on it, nice to get such a cheap chip and make it perform better then a $300 chip :D

Hi batboy, good to see you again, I remember you helped me a lot when i was deciding what to do with my rig last time.

Guvernment - my current rig i keep the max load temps under 60C, when under full load thats what it gets up to just about. When it started to turn summery around here and I still had it OC'd to 4.2 It would start to restart when ambients got too high in the room. I notice the 650 causes a reboot at about 65-66C
-
What was the name of the program again to see whether the CPU is being throttled or not.
-
Here is a secondary question also...

What I want to do is to do some benchmarks to see if my 650 OC'd to 4.2 (I can crank up the AC to simulate winter temperatures, hehe) is faster or slower than the 805 OC'd to whatever I can get it to. But obviously the 650 is single core and 805 is dual core. What benchmarking program can I use to give me comparable results to tell whether either one is faster. I know some benchmark apps only utilize a single core, which would do no good because it wouldnt give me "real" results with the 805.

What would anyone suggest to get reliable numbers in this experiment.

Hey right back at ya. Glad to help. Probably can't keep an overclocked 805 below 50 C unless you are watercooled. Those dual core Smithfield do run warm. Try not to exceed 60 degrees.

If you want to just use only one benchmark program, then go with PCmark2004. I typically use Super Pi too. If you want to compare video/gaming capabilities, then also try 3Dmark05.

Relying purely on software for temps kinds sucks because you never know for sure with it, but sometimes it's all you have. I used thermal watch and I never got my 805 to throttle and I've been at 68ºC (according to Ai*Booster) ...<<< I had my xp90 on it and I forgot to turn up the fan in Oblivion.

My idle temps are 45ºC idle with an si120 and three 120mm Panaflo's@7v. My game load temps are 60 to 65 at 4ghz....but I run it lower than that now at 3.8 and it gets into the 50's in game loads, fans @12v.

I am running a 506 @ 4.3ghz @1.5v on an AS8. I am folding right now and cpu temp is 45 degrees according to abit eq. System temp is 26 degrees, and at idle the cpu is under 30. I am running a thermaltake big typhoon. I am in the basement at my office, so ambient temps dont fluctuate. I think it stays around 70-72 degrees down here.

Cool Jame- I am probably going to try to suck a lot out of you since it looks like youve already done what I'm doing :)

What did you have before the 805? Think it would be faster than my current setup? (See sig)

Thx

About the same thing....ASRock 939 dual sata(all mods) 3200 Venice OC to the max. Only thing changed was the RAM and of course I play COD/COD2 and oblivion takes advantage of two cores.

I changed from bluestorm to a Tagan 580 w/ combinable rails >dual>to>single 35amps............which you will need for these puppies. I sent back my Zeus and took this Tagan.

My screenies with the Venice Call Of Crazy

Jame Gumb said:
I changed from bluestorm to a Tagan 580 w/ combinable rails >dual>to>single 35amps............which you will need for these puppies. I sent back my Zeus and took this Tagan.
Is there a thread on combining 2 rails into 1? I just bought a Powerstream 600W dual rail by mistake, but if I can combine the rails, it will save me from having to RMA it.

Just got my CPU and i was looking on the box and notice that it says 533FSB, so does the screenshot of the box on THG, when they key feature of this thing is the 133fsb. How come the box says that?

wing said:
Just got my CPU and i was looking on the box and notice that it says 533FSB, so does the screenshot of the box on THG, when they key feature of this thing is the 133fsb. How come the box says that?

Intel markets their cpus as "quad pumped" fsb. so a 533fsb cpu will be running at 133 and an 800fsb cpu will be running at 200. The memory will also be running at the fsb unless it is on a divider.

jmfcst said:
Jame Gumb said:

Is there a thread on combining 2 rails into 1? I just bought a Powerstream 600W dual rail by mistake, but if I can combine the rails, it will save me from having to RMA it.

I don't think it's exclusive to Tagan/Topower but I don't know of any others that have the combinable 12v+ rails. Here is the PDF, on the back it has a switch that lets me toggle from dual rail to single.

well if he had electronic skills and could find the current limiter in the psu then it would be a single rail.

It throttles at about 70C.

3.8 is the max I can run it at, raising the voltage creates too much heat for most HSF to hold. The Zalman is superior to mine, but also 35$ more.

I run 3.6 at 41C idle 54C load. 3.8 is 44 idle, 63 load. So, yeah, 3.8 is possible, but for the performance boost I get, 3.6 is enough.

I have the same exact setup you have. I'm not really sure where it throttles at but it is around 65C. And you will see that it is a huge improvement over your current 650. I had a 630@3900mhz and my 805 at 3800mhz (1.5V) dominates it. The difference in 05' was 1100 points and 1700 points in 06'. Games run much smoother at higher resolutions now because my 7900GT is not bottlenecked any more. 192Mhz is the max I can go on the Zalman 9500. Anything above that requires to much voltage and the Zalman can't take it.

I have the same exact setup you have. I'm not really sure where it throttles at but it is around 65C. And you will see that it is a huge improvement over your current 650. I had a 630@3900mhz and my 805 at 3800mhz (1.5V) dominates it. The difference in 05' was 1100 points and 1700 points in 06'. Games run much smoother at higher resolutions now because my 7900GT is not bottlenecked any more. 192Mhz is the max I can go on the Zalman 9500. Anything above that requires to much voltage and the Zalman can't take it.

I've got mine at 3.8 right now too on the Blue Orb II cooler. As you said, it dominates any single core P4 at the same speed. I've got both a 506 and 524 at 4GHz and neither of them can hold a candle to the performance of the 805.

i wouldnt get too worried about the temps of the CPU until 70c, but i would like to know what happens to the gases in the hsf when you reach 70ish celcius

Cool bignick, thats what I wanted to hear :) I will be putting it in today and running some tests to see how it comes out. I have had really good luck with overclocking the 650 i have in there now so i am hoping for good things. I dont know if you have seen my other post or not but I just have to decide which HSF to put on it, the one currently in my signature system or the zal 9500 (i have both). Will be back with more questions/info I am sure later :)

Oh yeah and thanks for the comments on the temp, i know the ranges are different with every chip...my 650 dies at about 65C, so its good to know that the 805 can take a little more, i usually have to keep my 650 at 60C max to avoid throtling and crashage :)

Thanks

Back