• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel D 805 OC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so nothing else to try? Could not possibly be the PSU?

When you raise the FSB even without raising the voltage does it draw significantly more watts or a barely noticeable amount?

Just ordered a Powerstream 520-ADJ-SLI because of its single 12v rail...did overnight shipping but with the holiday probably wont get till wednesday...d;oh

cant think of anything else at the moment unless anyone else can.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just a quick suggestion, even though that RAM should be able to do more. Have you tried one stick at a time in different slots, with different sticks? CPU-z sometimes it does that, just restart it, or is that version doing it everytime? Also what are the temps and what are you using to measure them? It just might be the CPU, or it could be the PSU, though I oced mine to 4GHz on a dual rail blue storm.

No I havent tried that. I should just take one out and try it in single channel and try the OC? CPUZ is not reporting a voltage every time.

In a hot room (AC is off right now) idle temp is about 36C and load is 45-47C and I am using the mobo to get the temps. Maybe not 100% accurate but id say its a safe bet those temps are OK :)

How many watt was the PSU you used to OC yours? I have a raptor, a 250G drive, a X850, and all the other standard stuff in the system on a 450W antec. So I dunno. Kinda frustrating.

Is my NB strap and dram stuff set appropriately...I thought i knew what that was from before but I cant really remember.

wing said:
No I havent tried that. I should just take one out and try it in single channel and try the OC? CPUZ is not reporting a voltage every time.

In a hot room (AC is off right now) idle temp is about 36C and load is 45-47C and I am using the mobo to get the temps. Maybe not 100% accurate but id say its a safe bet those temps are OK :)

How many watt was the PSU you used to OC yours? I have a raptor, a 250G drive, a X850, and all the other standard stuff in the system on a 450W antec. So I dunno. Kinda frustrating.

Is my NB strap and dram stuff set appropriately...I thought i knew what that was from before but I cant really remember.

Yes, OC the CPU to the max and see if one of those sticks is messing up somehow. W/ my bluestorm / 460-480Watts max out put w/ 15 amps on one of the 12V+ rails, my Tagan crushes that. How many amps does that PSU you bought put out on the 12V+ ? Try an older version of CPU-z

Well just tried the memory thing as you suggested to no avail. I tried each stick individually in each slot with the same results each time. This is almost mind boggling. why exactly at 169 fsb. If i set it to 170 fsb it boots but when i go into bios i see that it has reset itself to 169, anything over 170 and it just doesnt do anything.

the PSU I ordered does 34 amps on the 12v rail the one I have now does 13 and 15.

Older version of CPUZ doesnt show any voltage either, 1.24 just shows it as a P4HT (prescott)

Asuming everything is set proper on my MB its got to be down to either the Chip or the PSU now, which you do think is the better bet?

Thanks for the continued insight

PS-

I just unplugged everything in my case that is not absoultely neccesary for the sytem to post (cdroms, hard drives, fans etc) and then tried the OC and it still did the same thing.

What is normal?

I was just reading in my motherboard manual and contrary to what someone said, the motherboard manual said for 133mhz FSB cpu's that the NBStrap should be set to 533. I know ive tried that and that didnt work either though.

I have the d805, actually the exact same one as on the THG article. Same numbers in all respects except I think the week it was made. I have it running in a P5ND2 MB and it runs all day long at 3.5ghz, I can get 4ghz, but craps out after a few min due to the PSU. I am sure its that. I have 2 very good psu's, but traded away my amd system to get the parts for intel, and it had a different power connector on the MB so I had to use my generic POS one to get me by till I can affor a good one. With my 7800GTX I am sure drawing a bit of power you should deffinitly be getting higher. I can do 3.66 for long periods, but a few rounds of 3dmark will kill it. I use the big typhoon, and it idles at 34C and maxes at 44-46C, so thats an excellent cooler although it is huge and not good if you need to move it around at all. Anyone want to trade my antec 460TB and Coolmax 550B for a good Intel PSU with the small plug :) Thats all I need, and people said NV chipsets sucked for OC'ing!

Forgot I had some car grit paper from an old waterblock project a few years ago. I wet lapped my 805 today with 400>600>1000>1500>2000 grit, mofo's polished up and almost 8-9 degree difference. I polished up an si-120 that was way off, and the 805 wasn't excactly what I'd call true. :) Have a big ty(for brother) comming with a ninja as well. AS5 still has to kick inf for another degree, maybe.

OK, so heres the end of the story, just happened to be randomly browsing the Abit motherboard section and found a thread about someone else who couldnt get theirs over 170 fsb...same problem as me, found that intriguing. Read it and found that apparently there is a limitiation on the board for pentium 533 fsb cpu's.

Found this out AFTER purchasing another 805 to try it asuming it was a not so good chip. Damnit! Looks like I have 2x805's for sale now....

Jame Gumb said:
That sux, wing. Well I can confirm that the big typhoon destroys the scythe ninja on the 805. These were my findings.

That's good to know. I really need to know how the Big Typhoon compares to the Ultra 120 on an 805.

So this is me...I get into a project and can not accept defeat.

Therefore I just ordered a AW8D with overnight shipping that will be here tomorrow. I will get this mojammer to work and it will like it. It has the 975 chipset, whereas my aw8-max has the 955 so I will probably have to reinstall however I am going to try and avoid it. I will miss the 3rd eye of my aw8-max. I liked seeing the temps without having to have software open.

Tuniq tower 120 should be the king of air on the 805, and the big typhoon and 805 were meant for each other. What I saw was, the Ninja spiked in heat within a few seconds under prime, where the Big ty-ty fought the temps off for over 10 min with a very slow climb in temp.

My case has awesome air flow and it's empty. I was using three fans. One in take, out take and the CPU....all of them 120mm 115.7 CFM @ 2750 RPM, 45.5 dBA -- on full volts. The config on the ninja was a fan over the side by the ram, pointed toward the out take fan.

Back