• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a difference in Win 98 & WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boonmar

when it comes to framerate in games. For example, I found a review of Radeon 9700 Pro benchmark at tomshardware.com. My system is the same as their benchmark system. In Unreal 2003, I have FSAA set at 2x and Anisotrope set at 4X and I was getting around 40-60 fps. But the benchmark at toms', the fps was higher than my at FSAA 4X and Aniso at 8X. The resolution is at 1024X768 on mine and I got the lastest driver. Don't know why the framrate is lower. The only difference it the OS. Could this be causing the problem. Any comment?

Well the Windows XP uses a newer NT-based kernel and 98 uses a 95-based kernel. The NT kernel tends to be much more stable. Last I checked 98 tends to be better for games, but this was when XP was just being released. Also Tom tends to fudge his benchmarks depending on who pays him off. That's one of the reasons not many people here trust that site.

-DarkArctic

Well depends on your liking, since i have started using XP i have never seen 98, i simply love XP and there is no single game i have which doesn't works on XP

Some things i love about XP

1. Install the OS and everything is set.. no installing drivers or anything, everything is just ready to go (apart from the fact that i DO have to change the video drivers reboot once same goes for dx8.1)

2. Its stable as hell, lately i faced some really wierd problems with XP turns out they were related to bad RAM and Hard Drive, its been a long time since i have seen BSOD

btw if you screw around with XP / NT based kernel it have this nasty way of coming back :D

well to tell you the truth i really dont like ATI i use nvidia but i might have to do with your 2x and 4x settings just a thought you might want to set it like toms hardware has theirs if possible

Back