• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
try disabling the UDMA on the cd-rom. I did that before I got teh VIA drivers and it worked. Also, if you are using a SB Live card, try moving it to a new slot. Then do a fresh install of Windows, no format, just a reinstall.

Fiz

Fiz (May 21, 2001 06:49 p.m.):
try disabling the UDMA on the cd-rom. I did that before I got teh VIA drivers and it worked. Also, if you are using a SB Live card, try moving it to a new slot. Then do a fresh install of Windows, no format, just a reinstall.

Fiz

will try this, the DMA mode sounds kinda promising. I had forgotten about the SB Live! problems via boards had. Hmm, I hope these fix it, I am running out of things to do.

disabled the DMA, nothing, still freezing up. More ideas?

Cables - Broken? try replacing them.

are u sure the computer freezes, it isn't just going veryveryveryvery slow?

I recommend trying your HDD in another machine, then ure CPU, RAM, graphics,.....

I had to to set DMA in the bios to disabled, on both the cd and hard drive and disable it in windows to fix this problem.

Shep (May 23, 2001 09:00 a.m.):
I had to to set DMA in the bios to disabled, on both the cd and hard drive and disable it in windows to fix this problem.

I will check the bios. The video card I know is good. I am also sure about the second hard drive I have put in. It might be the cable, and I know the first cd-rom was good too. It might be ram, but i ran fine in two other systems already, and it is brand new crucial ram. The comp runs fine untill you try to install large files, that is always when it freezes, and it is freezing, like it stop reading the cd rom and I let it sit for up to five minutes with NOTHING happening.

ok, well I disabled DMA in the bios, things are slightly better now! the game doesn't install but I am getting somewhere. I know get a bluescreen before Windows totally craps out. It says blah blah blah error in VXD Vcache blah blah blah blah. This is a starting place. I am going to repost this in the software and os category now, as I am pretty sure this is a windows issue. Thanks for all the help!

Back