• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

king_m1k3

I just overclocked my CPU a little bit for the first time last night. I'm running a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 3.0GHz and i have it oc'd to 3.46GHz. I'm using the stock heatsink/fan but it actually seems like a decent (maybe not by your guys' standards lol) heatsink as it has a copper core that contacts the CPU and then it spreads out to the dome-shaped aluminum fins. The processor is known to run hot and it always has for me, but now that I have the sucker overclocked, it seems to idle from about 52-56C and when I put a load on it (Counter-Strike: Source), it seems to go up to about 68-73C. Is this too hot for the CPU, even if it does run hot? As I said before, I'm pretty sure the these temperatures weren't much lower even without overclocking.

king_m1k3 said:
I just overclocked my CPU a little bit for the first time last night. I'm running a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 3.0GHz and i have it oc'd to 3.46GHz. I'm using the stock heatsink/fan but it actually seems like a decent (maybe not by your guys' standards lol) heatsink as it has a copper core that contacts the CPU and then it spreads out to the dome-shaped aluminum fins. The processor is known to run hot and it always has for me, but now that I have the sucker overclocked, it seems to idle from about 52-56C and when I put a load on it (Counter-Strike: Source), it seems to go up to about 68-73C. Is this too hot for the CPU, even if it does run hot? As I said before, I'm pretty sure the these temperatures weren't much lower even without overclocking.

I would try and keep it below 65c. Just invest in an aftermarket cooler, they are pretty cheap, and you can keep your overclock.

Take a look on the Intel site to see what is the max temp your CPU can handle. Try to keep it well below that. thideras knows what he's talking about... i think... so invest a little money into an aftermarket cooler ( air if youre a cheap-skate like me)

My 2.8 Prescott hit those temps at around 3.3 It was enough to scare me back down to stock clocks. I never invested in any great cooling for it, but looking back I should have.

king_m1k3 said:
Thanks for the replies. The termal specification of the chip (according to http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL79L#) is 69.1C. Shouldn't my CPU be melting or something when it hits 73C or is it just slowly dying?
No, the thermal specs just mean, under normal conditions, that is how hot it should be running. You are safe above those temps but most likely not stable, and you are possibly hurting the life of your chip. A good cooler will bring those load temps down to the 40-50 range.

Most Intel chips can hit the 90-100 range and still live. I wouldn't want to run one that high, but they can.

Have you taken a look inside the rig? Maybe you could clear some dust and such out, if there is that problem...otherwise, for a good $30 you can get something that will get you in the range that thideras explained.

Heh. I overvolted to +0.2V and my CPU went from 49C to 65C. That's how far stock cooling will help. And it wasnt even under a load.

AzAzEl656 said:
Heh. I overvolted to +0.2V and my CPU went from 49C to 65C. That's how far stock cooling will help. And it wasnt even under a load.

Those temps are at idle? I'd really look at getting an aftermarket cooler if it is....those are really high.

grumperfish said:
^^^^^^^
You know, one of these would probably perform MUCH better than that rocket II and is fairly cheap to boot.

Get that one, much better.

ooohhhh purdy
i see they ship across the globe, so getting one wont be a problem. $37.95 = R284.20 Thats R220 cheaper than the Gigabyte. Thanks

Back