• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Junk' brand PSU's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A tested-bad list would be interesting to have.
I have almost no free time at all, but if I manage to find some I can compile something.

Unfortunately the companies that make bad PSUs know they are bad and don't send them out for review.

This. If we want to review the real bad ones at jonnyGURU.com, we have to pay for them. Since reviewing power supplies doesn't exactly put a lot of cash in one's wallet, it just doesn't work out very often.

Buy whats been tested, lots of choices.

^ This

I don't think these forums are using Wikipedia source notation rules, so the expertise and status of the posters on this website can probably work as substitute for sourcing reviews for each bad PSU.

Plus, who cares? If you're in the market get one off the list of known good ones or suggested brands, and spend the money instead of trying to cheap out and get some Chinese brand. Alternativly, posts can always be started to get fantastic help within hours.

^ This

I don't think these forums are using Wikipedia source notation rules, so the expertise and status of the posters on this website can probably work as substitute for sourcing reviews for each bad PSU.

Plus, who cares? If you're in the market get one off the list of known good ones or suggested brands, and spend the money instead of trying to cheap out and get some Chinese brand. Alternativly, posts can always be started to get fantastic help within hours.

I don't need a psu, I wanted to know if the psu's made by Nidec were good or not, perhaps they are someone else's OEM.

As for the Chinese brand psu's...most of the stuff is made in China, and Asia in general hehe :chair:

Maybe they are, let us know. Unless you have Nidec inside sourcing info and it's been tested by a reputable source we really don't know. All they use a factory with thier requirements hopefully followed, just like Ipads etc.

Yea, China makes a lot of stuff. They make good and bad. It's not the place it's made, it's the box that comes out. Is the stuff good?

I would definitely be interested in testing a Nidec PSU. I doubt they'd send me one though.

Assumed to be bad? Assumptions are bad. That leaves too much subjectivity to be accurate, and leaves the list questionable at best, or subject to whim and bias at worst.

Exactly. I hate to assume. That is why there is a list of PSU's that you know have been designed with high standards. They are not immune to problems, as any unit can go defective. However, if the power supply's design isn't very good to begin with, then you end up with below par performance, when you might want something a bit more stable for your rig.

All I'm suggesting is that a 'bad list' should be wholly substantiated with verifiable documented results, just as the 'good list' has been with direct links.

My thoughts: Why wouldn't you pick one from the list? I use to have an "avoid" list. It is kind of useful, but also counter-productive for me. I make a list of known good PSU's, which should be plenty since that is where the focus should be. If it's not on the list, you are left on your own to make the research. If you find it to have excellent reviews, then you can discuss it in the PSU thread and I might add it. If you find it to suck, then you have your answer. The list is meant to be a "no brainer" so people don't have to make a bunch of research if they don't feel like it.

The avoid list IMO is anything that hasn't made it there to be honest... If a gem is found, I add it.

I'm going to get one to test...one of those Nidec psu's.
Should prove fun, and perhaps dangerous.
The guy sells some Delta blowers and Nidec tri blade 150cfm fans for 3 bucks each, worth a combo buy perhaps :p

I'm going to get one to test...one of those Nidec psu's.
Should prove fun, and perhaps dangerous.
The guy sells some Delta blowers and Nidec tri blade 150cfm fans for 3 bucks each, worth a combo buy perhaps :p

Use the same epuipment that JohnnyGuru uses and we'll can call it a good test.

Otherwise, there are 500 PSU tests out there that are worthless. Nice to know about the science and EE Degree ability of the types of caps and other parts.

Better yet, buy one and ask JB to test it. He might even post it as a review.

Back