• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just had an ideaaaa

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Would it be possible to do a temporary extreme OC of a CPU if you used say.. a can of compressed air.. the stuff with the liquid in it that is FREEZING COLD?.. I just thought about it... and never have heard of anyone doing it before.. but my idea was.. to have osmeone holding the can and spraying the CPU as someone OCs it.. Eh eh?

I think I've heard of people trying that before. The stuff does get cold, though I don't know how cold.

But i can't imagine it would really end up being that effective

I've seen it been done before in this forum. Someone grabbed a cheap heatsink and went spray-crazy. Make sure to insulate all around the socket and such from the spray, it'll condense fast.

Its a coolant spray, freezing electronics for last ditch efforts to get it to work basicly..

Its R-134A or R-152 IIRC in a can.

And there was a thread about it about... six months ago IIRC in this fourm.

lol, I have one in the closet :) (dad used to be a dentist and he used that stuff to test wether you could feel hot/cold) anyway the can says -57°C but I'm not spraying t on my sink since it's mint flavour :D

If you try this.. don't use a heat pipe heat sink (It defeats the purpose of the heat pipes).. try to find one of the better passive/active with fan designs (oldy but goodies) copper :)

If you try this.. don't use a heat pipe heat sink (It defeats the purpose of the heat pipes).. try to find one of the better passive/active with fan designs (oldy but goodies) copper
The heat pipes are no problem. The refrigerant inside will simply decrease in pressure to adapt.

Dell_Axim said:
The heat pipes are no problem. The refrigerant inside will simply decrease in pressure to adapt.
I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said that freezing heat pipes defeats the purpose of having heat pipes and thus the heat sink will not perform as well as it was intended (IE passive copper heatsinks would perform better in this application)
If the refigerant in the heat pipes is no longer capable of changing phase, the heat carring capasity of the tubes is all thats moving the heat to the radeating element, thus making a $60 heatsink less usefull then a $11 one.

I would think that if someone wanted to put the effort into a project, they would want to aim for the best performance for their efforts ;)

greenmaji said:
I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said that freezing heat pipes defeats the purpose of having heat pipes and thus the heat sink will not perform as well as it was intended (IE passive copper heatsinks would perform better in this application)
If the refigerant in the heat pipes is no longer capable of changing phase, the heat carring capasity of the tubes is all thats moving the heat to the radeating element, thus making a $60 heatsink less usefull then a $11 one.

I would think that if someone wanted to put the effort into a project, they would want to aim for the best performance for their efforts ;)

Yeah, I would think that a solid piece of copper would transfer heat better than a solid piece of copper connected to a thin layer of copper filled with a refrigerant, since the refrigerant would probably not be useful in an application where it wasn't working in it's intended evaporative nature.

The refrigerant used in a heat pipe can operate at extremely low temperatures. R134a boils at -26C but can boil at an even lower temperature under a vacuum. In fact, it will work at temperatures down to -100C.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Would it be possible to do a temporary extreme OC of a CPU if you used say.. a can of compressed air.. the stuff with the liquid in it that is FREEZING COLD?.. I just thought about it... and never have heard of anyone doing it before.. but my idea was.. to have osmeone holding the can and spraying the CPU as someone OCs it.. Eh eh?

You do realize this is all phase cooling is? Except that there is a system to recapture the gas, compress it, condense/cool, and then evaporate it again...

Dell_Axim said:
The refrigerant used in a heat pipe can operate at extremely low temperatures. R134a boils at -26C but can boil at an even lower temperature under a vacuum. In fact, it will work at temperatures down to -100C.

And the amount of preasure they use in the pipes for ambaint temps is going to be tuned to perform best for ambaint temps.. They would not put the pipe under extream vacume (making them usefull for freezing temps), that would make them worthless for ambaint cooling.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I'm the one who's done it before;

{snip}

I havn't tested the motherboard since, although the chip worked perfectly fine.

How did the temps work for you, and how hard was it? Seems like it'd be quite hard to keep the temps stable.

1 can later, I got - tempertures for about 10 minutes before BIOS reported higher than 0c. I think it would be really tough to keep those kind of temps, especially under some sort of CPU load.

Hmm, I can imagine you could build some type of installation with this to prevent thermal throttling :beer: then it wouldn't be all that abstract/inpractical...

Back