• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed watercooling... HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I re mounted the gpu and the cpu again, and started up the comp a couple times. Keep on shutting down. There is artifacting all over the screen, and when it loads bios there are all of these lowercase a's that fill the whole screen. It just shuts down. I think the cpu is dead. F---.

Oh. I forgot to mention that if your blocks have a rubber gasket between the cover and the base plate, or the cover isn't metal, it might not heat up very fast. Certainly not in 10 seconds. It's the base that will get hot if the block is well seated but isn't being cooled.

Sephis, how fast did your CPU heat up with the film still on the block?

I'm pretty sure the cpu is dead. I will need to buy another one! Wheenver I boot lowercase "a" fill the whole screen. The CPU is mechanically broken.

Last edited:
Before you buy a new cpu, try going back to air cooling....
Also, make sure you clean off everything with Goo-Gone or alcohol like it says to do on AS's website. That way, when you remount all your air stuff, it will be as close to original as possible.

Wow that really sucks. To double check. verify all of your connections. Make sure your blocks are not making contact with anything other then where it is supposed to causing a short. Also check to make sure you don't have any AS5 where it is not supposed to be. Personally I don't like using AS5 on my GPU a little too close a margin for my error for my liking. I would definately start with that first especially since you are getting those a's all over the screen as soon as you start up. You will usually since the Video card pop up a quick display even before your BIOS decides to show up. If you are not seeing the BIOS screen I would definately take a good hard look at your GPU WB setup.

Try going back to air though as a last resort. Just to make sure that the CPU is in fact FUBAR. If it boots (I hope so) then start over. Though personally I think it is the video card.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised your Intel chip seems to have burned up. Last generation Intel procs had thermal throttling which would eventually shut down the system if the processor broke a certain temperature threshold. Maybe the new LGA775 Pressies don't have it. I still wouldn't rule out mechanical defects (i.e. not caused by overheating).

Let me clarify that last post. I installed the worm drive clamps while the waterblock was on the cpu. We think that putting all that pressure on the cpu damaged, or broke it. Is this possible?

I start up the computer and go to bios - the cpu temp is 70c+. There is artifacting all over the screen. Windows does not load, doesn't even go to login screen, it gives me all this gibberish that fills the screen, it's giving me options but not in english - webdings is more like it. Again, lowercase "a" with a scribly line on top just packs the screen when loading bios or going into windows. I have NO clue where to go from here. The only thing I can think of is getting another CPU. $300 wasted. :bang head I don't even know if I should waste my time trying the stock heatsink. :shrug:

:eh?: x100

Last edited:
Ok you should really try air cooling first. Also it sounds more like a mobo issue then a CPU one. I had a mobo give me the little "a" things as well and the video card artifacts. I replaced the mobo, video card and kept the CPU and all was fine. It seems when my mobo went it took out the video card and sound card with it.

Damn, this is really a hit and miss situation. You believe it is either the gpu or mobo? If it is, how could the cpu be spitting out 70c idle? Maybe the mobo temp sensors are wrong. I don't know how the gpu broke at all. I'm clueless. What good will putting the stock air cooling back on the cpu? $230 mobo, $280 cpu, $350 gpu. :cry:

I agree, try air before buying replacement parts. And if you can, try your CPU and video card separately in another machine.

Make sure you did not overtighten your your blocks either. If you keep cranking down, you can crush your cpu. Definaly go back to air and check that before you do anything else. Also take off your watercooling and put part of the hose in a sinck full of water and see what kind of flow you are getting out of it.

whozyodaddy said:
Damn, this is really a hit and miss situation. You believe it is either the gpu or mobo? If it is, how could the cpu be spitting out 70c idle? Maybe the mobo temp sensors are wrong. I don't know how the gpu broke at all. I'm clueless. What good will putting the stock air cooling back on the cpu? $230 mobo, $280 cpu, $350 gpu. :cry:

Have you tried removing the video card yet and run it off the onboard. This would be the easiest to test. If it still happens. Then I think wicked clown maybe right and your torqued your MB. I really don't think it is the CPU unless you really applied some major force to install the clamps which I hope you will not do again with it mounted on your MB. Chances are still good that your CPU is OK.

I've certainly thought about removing the graphics card, although if I do there is no way for me to connect my monitor, so I will not be able to tell if it is giving me artifcats and all the messed up a's and such.

Can you guys elaborate more on why you want me to go try air? It doesn't make much sense at all to me. The only thing air will do is make it cooler. Right when the computer is booted I get these problems. I don't think air will make them go away.

Nothing cracked or snapped off the motherboard... but the device is so fragile, just by applying pressure it could make it not work? Please bear with me, this is my first cpu and water build - ever. Where is my beginner's luck?

I don't want to get caught in a revolving tornado here. It's really hit and miss, I need to find the underlying problem here. Don't want to buy a replacement for something that isn't actually broken.

whozyodaddy said:
Can you guys elaborate more on why you want me to go try air?
Because until you do, you have no idea how your CPU and GPU perform with adequate cooling. You're fairly sure there is a cooling problem, right? So before blowing hundreds of dollars on new equipment, spend an hour or so finding out if the other problems remain once cooling is restored.

I don't want to get caught in a revolving tornado here. It's really hit and miss, I need to find the underlying problem here. Don't want to buy a replacement for something that isn't actually broken.
Exactly! :)

Otter said it pretty well. By trying air, you are elminating possibilities, and it would just be a logical troubleshooting step.

Just go back to air first. It will eliminate bad mounting with a waterblock.

I'm POSITIVE you didn't kill your CPU, I doubt you clamped down too much, and P4's have auto high-temp shotdown. Also doubt you killed your GPU.

Go back to air cooling..

And another question (not pointed at you, a general question)..

WHY DOES EVERY1 COME TO THE FORUMS AND ASK A QUESTION THAT WILL BE EASILY ANSWERED BY READING THE DIRECTIONS SUPPLIED WITH THE ITEM.

The item in question is Arctic Silver 5/Arctic Silver Ceramique

SolidxSnake.... don't know you know that all overclockers don't follow directions? It's just our nature. lol just kidding. A lot of people have been asking about applying thermalpaste lately....

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
SolidxSnake.... don't know you know that all overclockers don't follow directions? It's just our nature. lol just kidding. A lot of people have been asking about applying thermalpaste lately....

-1cem4n

I see at least 3 every week, subtle or not. It gets on my nerves...

But of course you don't follow directions. I improv :D

Back