• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed watercooling... HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
whozyodaddy said:
A one month old 74 gig. It fried because I had both ATA and SATA power plugged in.
RTFM!!! It is all over the place not to plug both of those two in together. LOL...

I'm so glad to hear that your system is up and running now. Congrats.

What's a manual? :cool: Anyway, the graphics card and hard drive are both sent in for RMA's. I should hope to recieve the replacements within two or more weeks.

Ok guys, I recieved my replacement 6800 GT today. Still waiting on my raptor.

But, I have a problem (as usual). I am trying to boot into bios with my storage HD (which only has data, not even windows), I'm sure this is possible. When I turn the comp on, it doesn't even show anything... the monitor even goes idle. I've tried plugging the monitor into both DVI slots, no luck. I've tried plugging the HD sata cable into the different sata slots, tried booting without hd, tried booting with windows cd in, and nothing - still can't get anything to show on the monitor. The monitor is working and set to the right mode (DVI). Could eVGA have sent me a defective card?

I've had this problem the very first time I assembled the computer (without water), and solved it by simply by plugging the DVI cable into the other slot - although that did not work now.

I would try clearing the cmos first though before you did anything. Maybe the bios got glitched up? Just thought I would add my $.02 worth.

Ok, I have tried to get in contact with eVGA, although they are busy. I will have to wait until Monday.

I tried using the S-Video outlet on the 6800 GT, and it works. The only way I got the S-Video to work is to turn on the computer, then press the reboot switch on my case. So it displayed on the S-video, then I switched the mode to DVI on my monitor, and it displayed under DVI! But, something is very weird though. When I shut down the computer then power on again, the monitor goes idle. It won't display anything, I shake the mouse stomp on the keyboard and it just stays idle. Then I hit the "reboot" button, the computer reboots and it displays under DVI. It only will display when I hit the "reboot" switch on my case, not when I shut down then power on. I am very confused and have no idea what is going on. So, let me repeat this more clearly.

If I:
1. Turn on the monitor
2. Immediantly turn on the computer
Outcome: Starts off active (green led) then after a couple seconds, monitor goes idle (orange). Screen stayed black the whole time. Although with my previous 6800 GT it would display fine, I could turn on the computer/monitor in any possible combination and it would display

3. I shake the mouse rapidly and tap the spacebar a couple times.
Outcome: Still Stays Idle.

4. I press the small "reboot" button on my I/O panel.
Outcome: The computer reboots and the monitor turns active (green), and displays bios welcome screen.

5. The monitor is displaying, so I decide to shut down then turn back on INSTEAD of pressing the reboot button.
Outcome: Starts off active (green led) then after a couple seconds, monitor goes idle (orange). Screen stayed black the whole time.

6. While the computer is still on, and the monitor is displaying from when I hit the reboot button, I turn off the monitor. I then turn the monitor back on.
Outcome: It still displays. Nothing wrong.

7. Turn on the computer first, then turn on the monitor.
Outcome:Starts off active (green led) then after a couple seconds, monitor goes idle (orange). Screen stayed black the whole time.

I also randomly recieve this error from my monitor:
"DVI-D
Cannot display under this mode" error flat out in the center of the monitor. No matter what I do it keeps on giving me that error. I have to have the monitor and computer shut off for about a minute, then turn on the computer and monitor, press the reboot switch, then it will display.

I assume maybe it is just giving me this because I don't have any HD plugged in? Anybody clue me in? I really don't think the monitor is the issue because it worked perfectly with my other card.

On a good note, my raptor shipped out today. I'll recieve it in three days, although it is no good without my graphics card. I am going to plug it in, install windows, then try to reboot and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I had this same problem with an older setup. It was a abit kt7a-raid mobo with a brand new ATI 9700 Pro. I never did figure out what caused it. Just returned the card.

Call evga and ask their support people.

some motherboards have a setting in the BIOS for selecting the default startup display. In most cases the options are AGP or PCI. on newer boards it is PCIx or PCI. See if alternating those helps.

Ok, I got my RMA replacement. It works, PHEW. I'm going to buy new ramsinks before I put the water on it.

If anybody is having any watercooling problems, or reading this thread to solve a problem of their own, here are a few things to try:
- bleed your system over and over
- your components are stronger than you think, when you install your blocks (cpu) make sure they are tight
- re-mount your blocks over and over
- make sure if your cleaning your blocks with isopropyl alcohol to use a high concentration (90% or higher) and make sure it is only clear, white isopropyl alcohol with no other ingredients, if it smells like wintergreen and is dyed green - don't get it
- try unmounting your other blocks and using only that specific block, then do the same for the others (reason being there could be a kink in between the loop, and you don't even realize it)
- try a bigger than usual AS5 dot, and if you still get problems try a even bigger one
- if it all goes to hell you might want to try a dedicated loop to that specific part

Back