• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston HyperX PC3000 - WoRtH iT??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

afm_canuck

Alright, so I know this has been discussed over and over but...

Is there any way to tell if some Kingston HyperX pc3000 sticks are gonna be BH5 or not without removing the heatspreaders or being able to test them?

I'm buying them off someone who says they bought them over a year ago but he's never tested them over the 2.5v since he's not into overclocking at all... I'm thinking about buying the 2x256 off him but would only be interested if they could get me atleast 220 @ 2-2-2...

KHX3000/256
9905200-017.A00
1168031 - 2.5V

Also I'm using OCZ 3700 EL (just the copper heatspreaders version) and they can do 233 but at ****ty timings so what'd ya guys think??

I like the PC3000 and just yesterday, asked for feedback from people on this ram, as well as the HyperX PC2700 which is supposed to have bh-6.

The link below is to a review of the KHX PC3000. They liked it to.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768

Even though you can't test them, if they were bought over a year ago, your chances are real good that it is bh-5 and that it will do 220 at tight timings on most decent boards. I made that last statement because I don't know what you currently use. Do remember, that the thing about Winbond is that to get to high fsb, it needs voltage increases.

If the price is right...then this ram should meet your stated needs (220 @ 2-2-2).

Thanks, I'll take a look...

I'd be using them on an Abit AN7 nForce2 Ultra board, it has up to 3.2v for the memory voltage without doing any mods to it... with the new Tictac/Enduracell bios, I've read people hitting 240 quite easily.

Can the KHX3000 handle high volts without problems?

Last edited:
You should love the sticks at 3.2v. If they are BH5, they should handle it without any problems. Like Mattspalace and Reefa_Madness said, these being old sticks and spec'ed at 2.5v gives them a very high likelihood of being BH5. Heck, I even managed to get BH5 a couple of months ago out of these. 3.2v should be sufficient for at least 230, 240 probably also if you get good ones with 2-2-2 timings. The AN7 should be able to take that, too. The only problem with KHX3000 seems to be that it falls apart past 240 apparantly because of it's SPD chip. I'm not positive on this, but mine does have serious problems getting past 240, even with 3.3v. Below that, though, it's all peachy.

I bought a pair of 256 sticks about 2 months ago.. They were able to do 212, 2-2-2-11 at stock speeds but once I started to inch up the multiplier they could do less and less. By 2200mhz they couldn't even do rated 185... only about 172.
Anyway, I wanted a gig anyway so got the bh-5's (used) that I have now and have had no problems whatsoever. Very very odd, because that should be independent... leads me to believe those sticks just needed a burn-in. As such, haven't been able to confirm what chips they've got since I havent taken the heat spreaders off.
I know oc613 bought a 512 in a local shop that's been sitting there for god knows how long, and it was non-relabeled bh5. Should be worth the risk :)

roll+call said:
I bought a pair of 256 sticks about 2 months ago.. They were able to do 212, 2-2-2-11 at stock speeds but once I started to inch up the multiplier they could do less and less. By 2200mhz they couldn't even do rated 185... only about 172.
Anyway, I wanted a gig anyway so got the bh-5's (used) that I have now and have had no problems whatsoever. Very very odd, because that should be independent... leads me to believe those sticks just needed a burn-in. As such, haven't been able to confirm what chips they've got since I havent taken the heat spreaders off.
I know oc613 bought a 512 in a local shop that's been sitting there for god knows how long, and it was non-relabeled bh5. Should be worth the risk :)

That sounds like is your cpu limiting your oc rather than your ram, multiplier shouldn't effect the limit of fsb.

glasszon said:
That sounds like is your cpu limiting your oc rather than your ram, multiplier shouldn't effect the limit of fsb.
well ya, that's what i would have thought. But I've had no such problems with the ram that I have now, and tested it w/ some1 else's 2x256 bh5's and there were no problems with that either.
so either those sticks mess up at high core speeds (which makes no sense) or they just needed to be burned in or something. Anyway... baffled... but that's all in the past.

sorry to thread jack.

Back