• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lathing, Sanding, Smoothing...CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A possible cause for the bowl effect could be the way you apply pressure with your fingers; holding the chip with two fingers at the edges will put more pressure there and wear the outside of the IHS more. I think the key to avoiding any kind of bowl effect is VERY even pressure.

OK said Forget this and went for it. I lapped my E6300 to the bone ; (started with 400 grit then 1500 then 2000 then printer paper and I would have to say WOW I love the results even know it seems so bling blingish and probably drops only like 1-5 degrees celicus in theory. But I loved it . I also lapped my p5B deluxe heatsinks and those are extremely concave.

you wrote this article only to brag about your gorgous looking granite countertops. I know you did...admit it! :D

My C2d lapped about 5 or 6 times
------------\
picture016hi7.jpg

Ps sorry my powershot G2 hates extreme lighting and I adjusted in manual mode like forver LOL

A nice article i have read about the procedure quite a lot and given the new core2 processors are due to hit apr 07 my e6300 might be just about to get its *** lapped. Can same methods be applied to nb and sb heatsinks on my p5w dh board and is it worth it on chipset coolers?

Impressive results, guys/gals. I'm building my first computer and have a PD Presler 2.8 retail. I have not installed this yet and am considering whether to lap this or not. I'm going to do all of my heatsinks and use AS5. What are the thoughts on North/South bridges? Are they worthy of lapping? If so, how do you go about this? Hmm...

Thought I'd add my experience to this thread

600grit

1200grit, little specks are just debri.

1200grit, at 1200 it's pretty smooth already, some people stop at 800grit.

2000grit, it begins to shine.

2400grit, I was trying to show the flatness

2400grit, i aimed with as little flash as possible to see flatness.

2400grit, cleaned the debri.

2400grit, sitting in it's home. This is a EVGA 680i A1/T1 board, Apogee GT block.

2400grit right before I wiped, AS5'd and put my waterblock on.

2400grit, the chip's previous home.

can someone help me? this might seem like a really dumb question but ive read through this article and not found an answer..
im considering lapping my waterblock (when i go water) and my cpu when i switch to water,
now when someone says they lap the cpu, and when someone says they lap the core, are they both talking about the same thing? look in the picture below,
cpu3.jpg

from what i understand about processors the silver top of the processor is just a cover right? the actual processor is underneath this, and is that the core? ive never seen whats underneath but isnt it like only about the size of a 1 cent coin? do people actually lap this too?
if im right so far, then what goes in between the 'core' and the top cover to transfer heat?
again if im right this far, then i bet this top cover can take quite some sanding before it goes through, and as long as it hasnt gone through it will be fine?
sorry... noob alert lol

from what i understand about processors the silver top of the processor is just a cover right?

Yes, to prevent damage to the core.

ive never seen whats underneath but isnt it like only about the size of a 1 cent coin? do people actually lap this too?

The size is about right, around the size of a penny. Two cores/die. With quad cores, you have two dies sitting next to each other on C2Ds. You do not want to lap those.

if im right so far, then what goes in between the 'core' and the top cover to transfer heat?

On older cpus, thermal compound was used. Newer cpus use solder to attach the heat spreader. Obviously sanding down to only .005 of an inch wouldn't be practical, but possible if done right.

I'm Radioactive!!!

Halfway thru 220 grit and my chip is da bomb...

original.jpg

On the other side...I did the tape-me-for-1333-FSB tweak on my Q6600:

original.jpg

Has anyone done a writeup on a C2D chip? Sandpaper or steps or anything in the process change?

Has anyone done a writeup on a C2D chip? Sandpaper or steps or anything in the process change?

I just basically did what the article said with 220 / 440 / 600 / 1500 sandpaper. You can go to a higher grit if you want that super cool mirror finish =D

i just lapped mine a few days ago for the first time both chip and heat sink i go over ten degree difference i used the straight not circle method

Back