• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux ....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
So not really happy with Windows 10 and am thinking of maybe running Linux on my Ryzen rig. Its been a while since I played with Linux ….. around 2001 has it become more user friendly since then and how is driver support now, I remember it was quite a challenge to get my rig to run right back then. I know Linux comes in a few flavours what is considered the better or maybe most complete version out there.

the most popular is ubuntu, but they have screwed with it and card clocking can be an uphill run, it's still easy to get up to speed for daily use.
mint is, in my mind a better choice.

the most popular is ubuntu, but they have screwed with it and card clocking can be an uphill run, it's still easy to get up to speed for daily use.
mint is, in my mind a better choice.

Thanks CD …… When you say Card Clocking I assume you mean your video card. If so that's not an issue for me.

gpu clocking is what I was refering to.
burn a disk and give them a spin.

I have ubuntu downloading now …….. I did see a link for mint I'll take a look when I can …… Work is crazy now and getting or will be worse as this postal strike continues ……..

you might also look at zorin os, I really like it, it just has a better "feel" to me.
it's a super heavy weight, windows replacement. for speed, security and light weight, puppy os is my choice, a complete os on a tiny thumb drive.

My favorite is Mint. Has the reputation of being the most like Windows so that makes the transition easier. Driver support is still problematic. It's generally pretty good with older hardware since the volunteer programming corpse of the open source community is being depended upon. If stuff is a few years old it is more likely that someone with the skill set to build drivers has that hardware that you have and will undertake the project.

...volunteer programming corpse ...

I'm hoping you meant corps. ;)

Long time Linux user here. It's come a long way since you last tried it. I can't disagree with previous recommendations in the least. I would add, however, that if you're interested in gaming, you should pick out a distro that easily supports Steam. I'm pretty sure that is available via snap package so that's what I'd look for. A Snap package gets away from the "I need the distro with the latest libraries etc." because it packages the dependencies in the snap. That makes it a little heavier than just installing the app but makes keeping up with the latest and greatest a lot easier.

You can partition your system drive or add a second drive on which to install Linux for a test drive. 25GB should be plenty for the OS and some games. (I haven't looked at games so I might be wrong.) I can install a server in 5GB and a full desktop in 15.

Good luck!

Thanks …..

Just an update. Work and getting ready for winter has kept me busy. I ran into one issue my software I use for video conversion on my BLU-RAY disks is not compatible with Linux. Maybe my best use of time would be to try and get windows 7 running good with my RYZEN rig. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Are you interested in Linux alternatives? MakeMKV is the go-to Blueray ripper AFAIK. Handbrake is good for transcoding video. While I usually keep to the official repositories (AKA repos) for installing S/W both of these would need to be installed from their project pages.

I use BD Rebuilder or DVDFab BLU-RAY copy ……. not to mention the ripping software isn't compatible either.

BD rebuilder was just released and is in beta. I have a new br burner (m-disc) and looks like a great little program. I'm thinking of running a vm of linux just for kicks til I eventually get a ryzen upgrade.
Devuan is a linux distro without system.d which can run on chromebooks (vdi image also). I have MX linux too in mind. My ts tablet would love to run linux in fact but it has hardware buttons too so...

I'm hoping you meant corps. ;)

Long time Linux user here. It's come a long way since you last tried it. I can't disagree with previous recommendations in the least. I would add, however, that if you're interested in gaming, you should pick out a distro that easily supports Steam. I'm pretty sure that is available via snap package so that's what I'd look for. A Snap package gets away from the "I need the distro with the latest libraries etc." because it packages the dependencies in the snap. That makes it a little heavier than just installing the app but makes keeping up with the latest and greatest a lot easier.

You can partition your system drive or add a second drive on which to install Linux for a test drive. 25GB should be plenty for the OS and some games. (I haven't looked at games so I might be wrong.) I can install a server in 5GB and a full desktop in 15.

Good luck!

:rofl:No, I think they're quite alive. More so than the Microsoft team I think.

Friend told me zorinOS is easier to use for a newbie. But Trents says mint is easier.

Which one is easier? I'd like to give it a try. :) as long as it plays music, it will please taco.

It takes about half an hour to install Linux. It's not a full day endeavor like Windows. You can try one and if you have doubts, try the other.
I'm not familiar with Zorin but agree that Mint is a good distro for beginners.
If you search "linux distro for beginners" you will find a bunch of articles. If you have some time, take a look at them and see if any point you in the right direction. (Ignore any articles that recommend Gentoo or Arch. :facepalm: )

I'm just a sucker for great appearances, which one looks best and somewhat usable?
I want to be able to listen to.music and see photos

I have zorin downloaded, check if it works right?

one of the really great things about linux is there are so many and most are free, down load a bunch and try them all and the software is also.

I have a version called a "flavor" of zorin that I use that I install on most of my rigs so when I get to the os install part, I load it on and all my software and junk is already there.
check a site called distrowatch, they list a grand pile of linux distos with links to it's home page and a pile of info that boggles my tiny mind.

Taco, try as many Linux distros as you want. As someone else has said, most are free. One of the great things about Linux is there are so many options. But if you continue to look into it you will see that many of the differences between distros are more cosmetic than substantive. All linux distros share the same engine (kernel) but add different bodies, options and trim packages to it.

Install openSUSE Tumbleweed. If you feel like experimenting then go for openSUSE Leap.
They have the best driver support of any Linux Distro.
And if drivers are not available then you can get the community drivers for that distro.
You could try the Linux distros of your choice but you would have hop on a lot of them.

Back