• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Pooter Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bfmctango57

1. Computer locks up at random (cannot ctrl+alt+del) then reboots. Usually happens when I am on the internet and rarely when the comp is idle.

2. Speakers make weird crackling sound. (removed sound card)

3. Formatted comp.

4. Computer STILL locks up at random (cannot ctrl+alt+del) then reboots. Usually happens when I am on the internet and sometimes when the comp is idle.

5. Was playing Battlefield 2, yes 2! :attn: Pooter totally locked up (couldn't ctrl+alt+del). Monitor didn't have a weird lines, nor was it black, or the blue screen of death. Where it froze in game is what was on the monitor. Went to reboot and wouldn't boot up to windows. Tried to format and got all kinds of weird problems. Formatted and then wouldn't install OS, then got registry error, then needed to perform check disk because boot.ini file was corrupted, and can't remember the rest.

6. Pulled pooter apart and cleaned it throughly, but I did leave one stick of ram out for testing.

7. Finally got pooter formatted and reinstalled everything as far as programs.

8. Now, pooter locks up and sometimes will unfreeze while playing BF2, skips and stutters playing videos on youtube! :mad::bang head:confused:

9. What it's doing while watching youtube videos is a smaller version of what it's doing with playing BF2. It will freeze and hiccup, but hasn't totally locked up while on youtube.

Specs:

PNY Nvidia PCI-E 460GTX 1Gb
Intel C2D 3.0ghz 1333fsb
Zalman CPU Cooler
EVGA 780i Sli
750W PSU
4Gigs Corsair (2 gigs in)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (removed)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7,200 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
3 Case Fans

Forgot to add, when I formatted a few days ago, I installed the newest nvidia driver.

Forgot to add, when I formatted a few days ago, I installed the newest nvidia driver.

This happened to me with this this driver... sort of. I installed it, rebooted, and came up to no NIC. Rebooted again, and BSOD, BSOD, BSOD. I needed to restore the system to before that driver to stop the BSOD. Try getting rid of that driver in safe mode or something if you can and see if that stops it.

Do you have another GPU lying around? The buzzing sound with the screen freeze in a game reminds me of a GPU issues I had with a friends computer. As in, it was physically the GPU going bad (or it was already bad.. Dunno).

Install an older driver as E.D. basically suggested. See how that goes first.

Might want to run a SMART scan on that hard drive

Ran the test and the HDD failed. :bang head:rain:

I clicked on the view log to see what had failed and I brain farted. Now, I cannot see what exactly failed. Where can I view it again?

Just run the test again, but yea, sounded like hard drive issues since that is your single drive. Video drivers wouldn't cause the issues you mentioned, much less when formating.

Just run the test again, but yea, sounded like hard drive issues since that is your single drive. Video drivers wouldn't cause the issues you mentioned, much less when formating.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure if one of the responders read the whole post or understood what I was saying. I read his response and was confused.

It's all good, lol, I read the entirety of your OP :p

Just run the tool again and see if it fails again or if it was a fluke last time.

Depending on when you bought the drive I would look at RMA through Seagate. I would contact them regardless just to see if there is anything they can do even if warranty is up, you may get lucky.

It's all good, lol, I read the entirety of your OP :p

Just run the tool again and see if it fails again or if it was a fluke last time.

Depending on when you bought the drive I would look at RMA through Seagate. I would contact them regardless just to see if there is anything they can do even if warranty is up, you may get lucky.

Ran the test and it failed again. It only took 4 hours again! :bang head
Can you tell by the SS what exactly failed?

seagate_test_results.png

Been trying to figure out how to fix the problem and not having any luck so far. Did some looking around and came across "HOW TO CREATE BOOTABLE SEAGATE SEATOOLS USB DISK." I read it may be able to fix the HDD errors, but cannot get that program to work. Followed the instructions to a "T." Prolly going to throw this HDD in to the trash and be without a comp for a long time. :bang head:mad::temper::bang head:mad::temper:

I ran the test again. Where is the support? Is that it? There's nothing more to do?

My suggestion was to contact Seagate to see about an RMA of the drive.

My suggestion was to contact Seagate to see about an RMA of the drive.

Sorry about that. Didn't see that in one of your earlier posts. Been so caught up on trying to fix this damn thing.

I looked it up and there is no info available according to the website. Going to have to give them a call and see what they say. Not even sure if there is anything they can do for me.

Back