• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory advice to get to 4GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humdinger

Hi it has been a while since I looked into memoy stuff so I hope someone can help me :)

Current setup:

CPU: E8400 3 Ghz
MB: P5QL-E

I have already 2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS 2 PC2-6400 DDR2 memory dual channel. I believe they run at 1.9v default.

I'm wondering what is the best setup to get to 4Gb? Possible 4 slots to use so I could go 4x1Gb or 2x2Gb?

Also what would be the best settings for the above combo. Possible using existing sticks? What do I need to set in BIOS, FSB, ratio, timings and so on?

Using stock voltages please ;)

Sell your current sticks and get a set of 2x2GB sticks.

Best settings we cannot answer as we have no idea what sticks you have (their stock settings and voltages), or what sticks you may be buying. And even then, just set it at its stock settings and have at it. Do you overclock?

Sell your current sticks and get a set of 2x2GB sticks.

Best settings we cannot answer as we have no idea what sticks you have (their stock settings and voltages), or what sticks you may be buying. And even then, just set it at its stock settings and have at it. Do you overclock?

I have these:
Memory Speed 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
Latency Timings CL5
Supply Voltage 1.9 V

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/98710

5-5-5-12 I believe (away from computer so can't check)

I'm open to suggestions what to look for/buy to go with the mobo and CPU above. Thanks! :)

Do you plan to overclock your PC? If you do, and want to achieve a higher bus speed (like going for 445+ mhz FSB to get 4ghz), youll probably want to get some DDR2-1000 or 1066 RAM. Also, try to keep it at 5-5-5-15 for 1000/1066 RAM.

If you dont plan to overclock, DDR2 800mhz will work just fine, but Id try to find some 4-4-4-12 timings to compensate for the slower speed.

Do you plan to overclock your PC? If you do, and want to achieve a higher bus speed (like going for 445+ mhz FSB to get 4ghz), youll probably want to get some DDR2-1000 or 1066 RAM. Also, try to keep it at 5-5-5-15 for 1000/1066 RAM.

If you dont plan to overclock, DDR2 800mhz will work just fine, but Id try to find some 4-4-4-12 timings to compensate for the slower speed.

I won't be overclocking (yet!) so thanks for the info!

Back