• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded NB HS/F for DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

Well, my stock fan died on my mobo, and my temps were getting out of hand. I emailed DFI tech support, and they said they wouldn't just send me a new HS/F, and said to RMA the board. That sounded like a hassle, so I took matters into my own hands. Being a Overclocking & Modding Community Member, I decided to do some warranty voiding.

So, it came down to what HS/F to use. The subject, a Vantec Iceberq 4.

Well, to start off, I had to remove the mobo from the case, and remove the NB HS/F. Once that was done, the modding began.

dfi_bare.jpg

I began by taking the old HS/F and marked out the holes to mount the HS/F to the stock mounting holes.

dfi_drill1.jpg

dfi_drill2.jpg

dfi_drill3.jpg

Then, looking around the NB, one will notice a few components that stick above the board a ways and may touch the HS. I notched out the base of the HS to clear these, seen below. The pics in the next post also show with the "ears" of the HS cut off.

dfi_comp1.jpg

dfi_comp2.jpg

Last edited:
dfi_notch1.jpg

dfi_notch2.jpg

dfi_notch3.jpg

Here is the final product before mounting.

dfi_final.jpg

And mounted.

dfi_mounted1.jpg

dfi_mounted2.jpg

dfi_mounted3.jpg

All in all, I started out with load temps of about 50-55C when the stock HS/F worked, and when the stock fain failed, up words of 60C+. After this mod, I am now getting load temps of about 50C or less.

Nice man, looks beautiful! I'm totally doing that, haha!

Do you think it would improve performance to add some paper-thin PET plastic or something to replace the top cover so that it forces more air over the fins?

Edit: Did you use a Dremel to grind off the "Ears" and carve out the notches?

GV2NIX said:
Nice man, looks beautiful! I'm totally doing that, haha!

Do you think it would improve performance to add some paper-thin PET plastic or something to replace the top cover so that it forces more air over the fins?

Edit: Did you use a Dremel to grind off the "Ears" and carve out the notches?

Not sure about the airflow, it seems fine without the plastic top on there. The fins are bent over on the top anyway, so it still forces air through the fins.

Yes, I used a Dremel to cut off the "ears", and to cut the notches. I guess I missed out taking a pic of the ears before and after cutting them off.

nice mod .. i wanna do something like that but im afraid i will scratch a trace or soemthing when im trying to get those pins out

What size drill bit did you use to make the holes?

Edit: Getting a new Dremel and I want to make sure I have the right drill bit :)

Last edited:
That looks really interesting. These tiny stock coolers are pretty bad - bad performance, they die too fast. My bro is getting new comp with that mobo - I've already ordered copper Aero 7 to mod.

Paste - I'd recommend Ceramique - no risk.

Plastic top - my stock GeForce 4 cooler had similiar design and it performed better wtih top - I think it minimizes effect with sucking hot air that has just left fins area.

Ven0m said:
Paste - I'd recommend Ceramique - no risk.
I've never used Ceramique, why is it less risky? Is it less risky because it's thicker and provides more cushion between the HSF and the chipset core, or is it less risky because it's absolutely non-conductive?

GV2NIX said:
I've never used Ceramique, why is it less risky? Is it less risky because it's thicker and provides more cushion between the HSF and the chipset core, or is it less risky because it's absolutely non-conductive?

AS5 isn't conductive, but slightly capacitive. Cermique is neither conductive nor capacitive. This way you can accidently put it on random components and nothing bad can happen.

GV2NIX said:
Ah right, AS5 is capacitive... But technically, if I'm super careful, AS5 would be the better choice right? :p
Yeah, of course. I used in several situations, but I tried to be careful. It also doesn't mean that you'll have problems if you put it on some other chips accidently. You can clean it (ArctiClean rox) and even without cleaining there's high chance that everything will be ok. However I'd be scared to use AS5 on BGA RAM chips.

The Vantec Iceberg seems like the only good NB heatsink that will be able to go onto a NF4 LANPARTY, and still be able to fit a PCIe card in the top slot (Minus hardcore cutting of other heatsinks, which I don't have the tools to do).
Definetly considering it. ;)

Yeah, I looked all over for something that would work with the cards and not require a lot of modding.

On a side note, I just got done playing BF2 for about 1hr, and my chipset load temps only hit 46C. Way better than the stock setup. With the stock HS/F, I was getting 55-57C. Huge improvement.

madhatR said:
nice mod .. i wanna do something like that but im afraid i will scratch a trace or soemthing when im trying to get those pins out
Honestly, they can be a bit annoying, but they're not that hard to get out. Make sure you use a small pair of needle-nose pliers so you can see what's going on. Just don't get impatient if they're being stubborn. Even if you softly bump a trace you won't sever it, so just take your time and you should be fine! :)

Back