• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded NB HS/F for DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok I did the mod and put everything back together. Now I'm getting this weird bsod whenever I try to log into windows. I'm not sure how changing a fan could result in me not getting into windows. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I get the bsod when I try to log into windows.

could this problem have started because of possibly getting some thermal paste on the nvidia chip? I also used the included memory heatsinks on my graphics card. I'm not sure why I keep on getting this bsod.

Well, what are your chipset temps like? Did you try installing the old heatsink back on there and see what happens? Maybe try reformatting/reinstalling windows as a last resort.

There is also such thing as an edit button, where you can edit your post instead of making three posts in a row ;)

Damaged mobo is a damaged mobo, I'm a afraid. However, first check chipset temperatures - perhaps it' simply bad heatsink contact. Make sure that you don't put paste everywhere, but only where it should go - on chipset core. In some cases damage can be temporary, sometimes permanent (it also depends on kind of paste) - my cousin permamently damaged his graphics card with bad thermal paste applying.

the chipset temps are fine they are 10 degrees lower than before (thats based upon what info I could get from safe mode). I havn't tried putting the origional chipest fan back on tho it would be so much work. Is this prolly a hardware problem?

Problem is that even wanting to give good answer I can't tell you exactly what may be wrong and what to do, so here are some ideas that came on my mind and which you could probably use:
- Double check if there's no paste / metal dust where it shouldn't be.
- Get some other disk and try installing windows again.
- If everything failed, try to make it appear to be untouch and RMA...

I just did the mod with the Vantec Iceberg. The previous DFI stock fan was spinning up to 7k RPM when it hit 55C and then spin back down constantly while gaming and was driving me crazy. After the Vantec Iceberg was in place it didn't go above 49C and the fan noise is very quiet. Very pleased with the mod.

@AlanD: Make sure you have enough clearance around the components and that the Vantec is not making any contact with those two components circled on page 1.

Fathom1990 said:
How is it attached?
Dude, do what I did... take the stock cooler off, stretch the springs, put a couple washers down, and remount. The enhanced pressure that I created by doing this dropped my temps severly. I never load over like 45C now, and it's usually at 42C with my dual-core opteron! :)

AlanD911 said:
Did I screw up my motherboard? Everytime I try to login to windows normally just when it should load it I get this BSOD for a split second then it reboots. I can get into safe modes fine but I get a BSOD everytime I now login to windows. I might have scratched this
http://s88338789.onlinehome.us/forum_pics/dfi/dfi_comp2.jpg

did i screw up my mobo?

the fact that you can get in with safe mode leads me to believe it's ur o/s or a driver issue.

Overclocking your system to the very edge of stability can potentially corupt data. An unstable system will cause arithmetic errors. Even if they are non-fatal errors and do not cause a crash, they data will be written/read incorrectly. As a result, your OS could gradually degrade. Try a fresh install of Windows. If it keeps happening, back off on your overclock.

Back