• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My CPU just got fried i7 975 Extreme. What now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nomanor

So my 3 years old I7 975 just got fried (power surge).

Need help on deciding what to do now (replacement wise).

Since I already have a kickass MB (Asus Rampage III Extreme, extended) the most simple way would be to get a new 1366 CPU. The problem is they are extinct, the only one available without much hassle is i7-990X with a $1000 price tag.

Should I just go for it, or completely re-haul whole system and get some new MB+CPU? (if so, what's considered good nowadays?)

I would try another CPU in your mobo just to make sure it is okay after the surge too.
Especially before buying a $1k processor

I would try another CPU in your mobo just to make sure it is okay after the surge too.
Especially before buying a $1k processor

problem is, it's hard to find another 1366 CPU to test the MB

they are pretty rare nowadays

Could you use the one from the other system, the one that you popped your chip into?

Nope, it was just an old MB that i replaced a year go (had to get an Extended MB to fit beefy video cards)

You could always put up a WTB thread for a socket 1366 cpu in our classifieds section. There are probably quite a few folks on the forums who might have one of these chips available.

Back