• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My DIY Liquid Cooling System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The bigger ID is nice. The last plastic barbs I used was the ones from Dangerden with the 1/4" threads, and they had a great ID also (larger than brass even). There are solder on fittings for 1/4" NPT to 1/2" pipe (5/8" actual pipe OD size). Great stuff I picked up for the home built water blocks I used to make.

I use fan shrouds on my ready-made radiator, so I guess I'd be the last one to talk about how little a return you'd get from brass over plastic for heat exchange....do what feels good. :D

Everything came in the mail Friday morning from DangerDen. Got my coolant, mounting hardware, pump, VGA block and silver5. Today, this morning, I need to go get some other screws, spacers and bushings from the hardware store. Than I'll get busy on soldering the rad, making measurements and cutting the case while my PC lay running on a pile of anti-static bags, raised on copper post. Fans laying all over it!

EDIT: Went to hardware store and picked up phat masking tape for drawing on the case. Grabbed a SS sliding square ruler for $22, more sturdy than my now old sliding square ruler. It has a SS squaring edge, old square had a plastic slide and thin metal ruler. This ones SS sliding square and is painted yellow. Think it looks cool and distinctive. It says mine! Bought some JB weld to use for hiding fitting edges.

I've already soldered the elbow to the 1/2" pipe thread connector. Than ground down the solder that piled up on what was the top edge of the fitting while I had it in the vice. This way the solder would run down inside, on the elbow between the connector(otherwise elbow up, threads down). Piled up some JB all around the edges and pushed it around with a piece of plastic to push it into smaller areas. I'm now waiting half a day for the JB to dry so I can sand it smooth and make everything look like one piece. This will also be done when I connect the elbow to the rad, but I'll use JB only for connecting. It will be easier to get that first time seal(when done properly, sanding/grinding and cleaning). It can also be piled up and sanded down to look smooth and consistent, to look as one piece! I was thinking of cuting my case today, but I don't even have the rad mounting screws, spacers and washers so I can mount and get the right measurements for where I need to cut the holes for the tubing. I can always do this later once I've got what I need for the mounting solution. The screws I need are 150mm long and will fit in most case fan mounting holes. However, I have to go to a specialty hardware store to get those and they are not open on the weekend :(

I did not take any pics of the process. Before I prime and paint, I'll take some pics. With less background for the cam to focus on.

Last edited:
radiator005.jpg

radiator002-1.jpg

This is close to how I've decided to route the hose through the box. One or two areas may not get the 90* elbows I bought, but I'm doing it this way because it routes the hosing in a way that makes working inside the box easier when installing and removing parts. Pump is also strong enough to move through 10, 90* elbows with wide Id with a 3/8 Od. At 900l/h~13.3Lpm, I could run three blocks and five or so elbow bends and only lose about 30-40% pumping power. However, this project may only do the GPU. I could change my mind on that later(most likely will)

Elbows in pic are not the elbows being used on finished project, pics of elbows below-

ex-tub-13.jpg
Antec-Gut.jpg

Damn I wish I had DIY skills.. I kinda went DIY for my first kit after I moved out here, but the most work I ever did was a pretty generic job of removing HC pipes and soldering in some barbs.

Are you gonna paint everything over and make it look nice? (guessing since you mentioned hiding stuff with JB weld?)

I wanna see when its finished :santa2:

Also, at least 4 90's can be replaced by sweeping turns in the tubing. It won't look as neat, but it would be a lot less restrictive.

Getting close to finish-

I'm building a shroud for the top that will hold the 140mm fan 3/4" from the rad.
The shroud will slope toward the front of the case so I can mount a digital fan and temp readout and any thing else I can think of mounting under it. The shroud will be designed so that six screws hold it in place. The four sides of the shroud that touch the case will have a thin layer of rubber on the underside to cancel vibration made from the 140mm fan. Plus it will stop any possible scratching of the case when removing and affixing the shroud. Areas of the bottom portion all the way around the circumference of the shroud will be cut to make intake ports, so the pulling fan on top the rad will also pull air through the rad from air outside the shroud, instead of pulling air directly from the case.
VistaBox014.jpg

I may, or may not put a low voltage 140mm fan in that top case fan port.
Fan on sink running at 40%. Keeps the CPU max load at 42c. 58c on LinPack.
VistaBox011.jpg

The 80mm Blue LED fan cools the tube that feeds the rad and cools the DDR2 1066 HyperX memory.
Liquidbox.jpg

The non-conductive liquid coolant is black!
VistaBox012.jpg

After leaving the PC on for a week and playing various games, the case is cold to the touch! It seems that relieving the case of all the heat produced by the GPU has reduced my CPU temps which are now maxing out at 42c with the 90mm Sink fan pulling at 40% power and a room temp of 78f. When before my CPU was getting upwards of 46c to 54c at load playing GTA4.

The GPU is showing temps of 39c to 48c at load, idle at 29c to 32c. While the CPU temps get as high 42.8c under load, 29c to 36c idle(temps vary under ambient tempratures).
This is a favorable outcome!

Later on I might cool the CPU with liquid. I built this system to relieve the PC of heat created by my eVGA 9600GT, as well as the decrease noise created by the fan on the GPU. The noisest part of my PC now is the 80mm Blue LED that is cooling the RAM. I'm going to do a 7V mod to it to decrease noise output.

Two things. You would cool ohh so much better with blue arrows instead of purple. At least 10C better........

Jokes aside, not too shabby! Looking at the fan on the heatercore, thinking about it, bet your only using about 1/2 of the effective area on that HC. You really need a shroud, make one outta fun duct tape etc and see your GPU temps get better.

In fact with a good HS 38mm fan (100 CFM Delta?), and a proper shroud that rad can do your GPU and CPU. You don't have a crazy hot CPU/GPU.

Looking forward to a shroud, try googling heatercore shroud, see what builds ya get.

You went to all that trouble and expense to cool a 9600GT? Seems like a total waste to me. A $10 slot fan would have exhausted the heat from the card and help cooled it as well. As said before, the 9600 isn't a hot card to begin with. The CPU would be a MUCH better candidate for the WCing.

Axis

You went to all that trouble and expense to cool a 9600GT? Seems like a total waste to me. A $10 slot fan would have exhausted the heat from the card and help cooled it as well. As said before, the 9600 isn't a hot card to begin with. The CPU would be a MUCH better candidate for the WCing.

Axis
The 9600GT is OC'ed and reads temps of 52c to 59c after two hours of GTA4, with stock GPU fan at 80%, very noisy. The Danger Den GPU block I picked will work on most all other GPU's. The Danger Den GPU water block came with four different mounting solutions to mount the block to most all Nvidia and ATI GPU's. So when I upgrade my Graphics Card, my water block will mount right to it in the configuration that I have already set up.

I had a $12 slot fan exhausting the GPU, but all it did was make noise, it did not work as it should of. Temps posted pre-liquid were supported by a slot exhaust fan.

@Conumdrum-
I'm building a shroud to house the 140mm under. It will sit 3/4" above the rad so it will pull more air though a larger surface. Around the bottom circumference of the shroud I'll have fins cut and angled inward so the rad fan can pull air from outside the shroud, instead of pulling air directly from the case through the top 140mm fan mount.

52-59c is actually hella cold for a vid card. I would hook that cooler up to my CPU and get some real performance gains.

Also wanted to say nice job on the mods!

52-59c is actually hella cold for a vid card. I would hook that cooler up to my CPU and get some real performance gains.

Also wanted to say nice job on the mods!
Thanks!

Yeah, 132.8f is not to high of a loaded GPU temp, but to get that temp my GPU fan needs to be at 80%, which is very noisy! I walk into my room now wondering if my PC is on or not!

Once I have the shroud made I can easily see the temps making even more of a dramatic drop. I've had the PC on for more than 8 days now. GPU idles 31c during the day, 26c - 28c at night. During the day, 46c at load. I can imagine a shroud will take it down to 40c - 43c at load during the day. Maybe even lower!

Thanks!

Yeah, 132.8f is not to high of a loaded GPU temp, but to get that temp my GPU fan needs to be at 80%, which is very noisy! I walk into my room now wondering if my PC is on or not!

Once I have the shroud made I can easily see the temps making even more of a dramatic drop. I've had the PC on for more than 8 days now. GPU idles 31c during the day, 26c - 28c at night. During the day, 46c at load. I can imagine a shroud will take it down to 40c - 43c at load during the day. Maybe even lower!

I think the point is, your 9600GT doesn't care if it's at 26C or 76C. I commend you on wanting and achieving a quiet system but your CPU would be a much better candidate for WCing and will give you the bigger gains by being watercooled.

Axis

Hell if i had the funds i'd WC just for the lulz, none of the systems i run have any heat issues, but that doesn't stop me from wanting an outdoor cooling pond (nuke style, y3) WCing my box(es).

I think the point is, your 9600GT doesn't care if it's at 26C or 76C. I commend you on wanting and achieving a quiet system but your CPU would be a much better candidate for WCing and will give you the bigger gains by being watercooled.

Axis
What do you mean that my GPU does not care?(confused) If to say that when I play GTA4 and my temps get up to 76c(example), I play night and day for weeks. Would this not degrade the life of my chip. I thought excessive heat over prolonged periods of time will degrade the life of the GPU? I could be wrong about this... But some call me Capt. Safety. You might notice that by the hose clamps used in my liquid setup.

I was even a bit skeptical about using plastic/poly 90* elbows, because of the thought of breakage. I'm not swinging a pipe around in my case, so I guess I should not be so worried.

76*c isn't excessive for a video card, i think that's their point.

Personally i prefer cooler, but officially the gpu's don't care till 90 or 100*c or something crazy like that.

Nice work BTW.

A 9600gt only puts out about 60-70w of heat, overclocked 80-100w max.

The e8400 is a 35w processor, overclocked 45-60w max

I had 2 9600gt s on a Danger Den Black Ice Extreme (less than your heatercore) and overclocked they never got above 40c. They're cool chips.

Did you use a shim or something? I think your temps should be a bit better, not much but a bit.

What do you mean that my GPU does not care?(confused) If to say that when I play GTA4 and my temps get up to 76c(example), I play night and day for weeks. Would this not degrade the life of my chip. I thought excessive heat over prolonged periods of time will degrade the life of the GPU? I could be wrong about this... But some call me Capt. Safety. You might notice that by the hose clamps used in my liquid setup.

I was even a bit skeptical about using plastic/poly 90* elbows, because of the thought of breakage. I'm not swinging a pipe around in my case, so I guess I should not be so worried.

Ok, lets say for all practical purposes that it does degrade with normal temps, yes 76C is still considered well within normal limits. By how much? How fast? At what temp does it accelerate, or does it? Seeing that there are people still running the earliest video cards, it's safe to say that video cards will last a LONG TIME as long as you don't tear them up. Lets say 10yrs, for ease of use, although we all know they last much longer than that. Lets say running high/normal temps will degrade the GPU by 20% over it's lifetime. That still leaves you with 8yrs of trouble free use. Do you REALLY think you're gonna be running this same 9600GT 8 yrs from now? Most around here change them every year is not sooner. Mine typically last me 2yrs before I upgrade, then sell them to friends that STILL use them today.

I'm not on you for WCing a 9600GT, just saying that a higher OC on your CPU will give you MUCH better returns and WCing it will help you get there.

Axis

I'm not on you for WCing a 9600GT, just saying that a higher OC on your CPU will give you MUCH better returns and WCing it will help you get there.

Axis
Last night while drinking at the bar I found two twenties bills folded together laying on the floor in the bathroom stall. For a while I held onto it, listening to hear if anyone was talking about money they lost. I'm a regular at this bar, so it's always likely I know 70% of the people there. After being there for another 3 hours and asking various people I know if they know anyone who lost some cash. No one knew anyone who lost some $$$. Before I left I asked the bar tender Chad if anyone asked about any currency turned in, he said "no". While walking the two blocks home I pondered what I could use this toward. It than popped in my head, "DD CPU waterblock"... $49.99 + shipping $7

I noticed the NB of the GA-EP45-UD3R runs a bit hot. Hotter than my CPU actually. Should I block that too? Next Friday I may order both. However, If I do that, I'll be waiting a little longer to buy the proper tools for sheetmetal bending so I can make my shroud.

Back