• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PSU enough for gtx480?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well not entire cost, probably half the cost at least. Anyway, power taxes depends on country, in my country its higher than US.

As I mentioned, we used Australian power rates in that thread, which are some of the highest in the world. :)

Why not get a properly powered platinum PSU for $75 less in the first place then you dont have to make up the cost and STILL have the platinum level efficiency... THAT makes sense. Buying a KW of power when you dont need 500W is a HUGE waste of money and makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHAT-SO-EVER.

BUT this isnt about that.. Lets get this thread back on track. Ivy my advice is to do the math. We did and know the outcome.

As I mentioned, we used Australian power rates in that thread, which are some of the highest in the world. :)
How much cent/kW for a household? All i found is industry charges. 5 cent/kW, but i bet a household will have to pay at least three times more (because world was never fair).

US charges vary a lot dependable on location but average is below 10 cent/kW which is below average (compared to other industry nations), so i understand why US dont care to much about power.

Last edited:
7-8 cent? Oh dear thats almost free compared to what i pay. Guess you mean 25 cent in Australia, so 5 times more than industry, seems like lobby work well done.

Obviously i mean 1 kW a hour. Energy is a kind of power, in that term you say that energy is measurable quantity while power is a source of certain strenght. Sounds correct for economics but hard to take over to mother nature. Usualy its been told that the sun is giving energy, but is that a measurable quantity? That quantity will vary a lot dependable on countless factors so its not a fixed value. As long as that energy isnt measured its a variable continous power (of nature) with a photon source.

Ok now i say that the power is giving energy, but the energy is still not measured at that point. So, energy itself is still not a measured value, its just a certain condition. Ah well... matters are never easy to understand, i feel. To be correct, you have to tell me that i pay for measured energy else i might still forget to add the hours.

Last edited:
I bet california is one of the most expensive places in US. ;) Ah yes, dont forget to bring me some almonds, they surely contain a lot of energy.

Obviously i mean 1 kW a hour. Energy is a kind of power, in that term you say that energy is measurable quantity while power is a source of certain strenght. Sounds correct for economics but hard to take over to mother nature. Usualy its been told that the sun is giving energy, but is that a measurable quantity? That quantity will vary a lot dependable on countless factors so its not a fixed value. As long as that energy isnt measured its a variable continous power (of nature) with a photon source.

Ok now i say that the power is giving energy, but the energy is still not measured at that point. So, energy itself is still not a measured value, its just a certain condition. Ah well... matters are never easy to understand, i feel. To be correct, you have to tell me that i pay for measured energy else i might still forget to add the hours.

Power = Energy / time. It's the rate of energy. A 77 watt CPU is consuming 77 Joules of energy every second.

Last edited:
Well, ok, first text has been solved.

Its correct that time is canceling out because we already did set a specification, but energy itself isnt bound to a time value, its just a certain condition such as you said "capacity to do work". I never used any form of time, when i say "kW (related to power)", its witout time so its neither power nor energy when trying to be stick to your description. Its in that term simply a certain spec of a source. Actually its still a certain power because time is continuos so we can cancel out time.

Finally thinking logical, kW/H is the rate of energy a hour, resulting into energy, so we can call it energy. Now thats not the rate, thats simply energy with a spec (measured). So kW itself would be power because its the rate of energy, its continuous 1000 W, so it must be a certain rate. Never took that stuff to serious but still interesting to see it from a more technical view, can give some more understanding into handling it so i dont make silly failures.

Anyway, its joyful to see someone with some knowledge in physics, i was never dealing with, so i hear lot of new stuff.

Last edited:
Here we go, run-down of power and energy.

Power = Energy/time. In units, Watts = Joules per second.

Energy is the capacity to do work, or the change in energy = work. Both measured in joules.

Work = Force times distance.

Force = mass times accleration

Acceleration = speed over time

Speed = distance over time

All can be completely calculated. Mass in kilograms, distance in meters, time in seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Last edited:
So I'm guessing all this means yes, you can run a gtx 480 in my setup and it will not kill your computer?

:grouphug:

lol

As long as you dont OC it will work but i would not OC, easy as that.

Time is relative because it can be affected by speed and mass.

KG is affected by mass so i kinda dont know if i can turn a certain mass into certain KG in term i dont know how it will be affected by other mass.

Even distance cant be fully calculated into meters because distance is affected by temperature and mass, and can be different, so im trying to measure a variable unit with another variable unit.

Im just saying it because i like to make your time harder. ;)

Last edited:
Time, mass, and distance are not relative. There are specfic definitions of each. There are six base units which have definitions, everything else is derived.

Capture.JPG

The international prototype of the kilogram was sanctioned in 1889. Its form is a cylinder with diameter and height of about 39 mm. It is made of an alloy of 90 % platinum and 10 % iridium.
http://www.bipm.org/en/scientific/mass/prototype.html

Last edited:
Back