• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My video card has a really bizarre problem. Please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sockableclaw

Okay, here's what happened.

Two weeks ago, I got a new processor for my comp (i5-2500). When I put it in my comp, my video card (GTX 650 Ti Boost) stopped working on me completely. My device manager didn't see it at all no matter what I tried. I didn't have another comp to put the card into to test the card, so I put in an old video card and my comp worked fine. I then did another test. I took out my i5-2500 CPU and put back my prior CPU into my comp, along with the GTX 650 Ti Boost. The GTX 650 Ti Boost still didn't work. So I figured my GTX 650 Ti Boost was dead, right?

So I sent my GTX 650 Ti Boost to Gigabyte (its manufacturer) for repair. Today I got an e-mail saying that they tested it extensively, and that the video card was working fine! They are shipping it back to me today.

I'm so confused! What's going on?

Thanks for any help!

(Btw, my PSU is a Corsair CX750, and I tried to update my BIOS before I sent my card out for repair. That didn't work because it kept giving me a "ROM file size does not match existing bios size" error message, so I gave up on trying to update my BIOS.)

Last edited:
That is bizarre. I wonder if your motherboard has some sort of bios bug going on. Not the most helpful observation, but man, it's all I've got. You did the troubleshooting well.

My own edit:

Ah, the bios is giving you trouble? I might be right, as useless as that is. You may be looking at purchasing a new board just to finish troubleshooting :-/

That is bizarre. I wonder if your motherboard has some sort of bios bug going on. Not the most helpful observation, but man, it's all I've got. You did the troubleshooting well.

My own edit:

Ah, the bios is giving you trouble? I might be right, as useless as that is. You may be looking at purchasing a new board just to finish troubleshooting :-/

I appreciate the reply! :)

And I'm pretty sure my BIOS is fine. It's just that the stupid BIOS update from the Gateway website doesn't work at all. So I can't update my BIOS. :(

And I'm pretty sure my BIOS is fine. It's just that the stupid BIOS update from the Gateway website doesn't work at all. So I can't update my BIOS. :(

That's kind of suspicious on its own. Might want to ask Gateway or the board manufacturer about it. Could be an underlying flaw somewhere.

That's kind of suspicious on its own. Might want to ask Gateway or the board manufacturer about it. Could be an underlying flaw somewhere.

Yeah, I was thinking of just calling Gateway tech support to ask about it.

Welp, turns out it's my mobo. I got my card back yesterday. It didn't work. I then tried putting the card into a friend's comp and it works fine. Also, I put his card into my comp and my mobo didn't detect it. I'm gonna have to get a new mobo. Since my motherboard is a Gateway DX4860-UB20P, would this one be an exact replacement that would fit perfectly in my Gateway tower?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GBCIFRQ//ref=nosim/connorswebguidec

Back