• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good bang4buck mobo, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsflynnnh

I few years ago, I queried one of the forums here, after spending a lot of time trying to get a few mobos to work. Several suggested an Abit bx133-raid and so I bought one, and have been very happy.

Now I need a second computer, and as before, I don't have a lot of $$. I'm not an overclocker (yet), and am looking at a low price (like <140 combo) and reliable mobo. The most strenuous tasks I ask my 'puter to do is play Diablo at battlenet. It seems that I can't find an abit bx133 anyway.

Can someone suggest (and it needn't be based upon an intel chip) a (preferably abit) (but not necessarily) mobo and chip combo? Biggest need is stability, and reliability, and lo price.

Thank you for your expertise. This place and the people here truly impress me. When I graduate from nursing school I'll have the $$ to try some overclocking.

Thanks.

welcome to the forums, jsflynnnh!

are you planning on recycling the RAM from your BX board, or would you buy all new DDR RAM?

personally I'd say go for DDR, specially since it's tough to find a good SDR board nowadays. But it will cost a lot more :D

What CPU brand you using?
check out www.pricewatch.com
You can find combo's (boards with CPU's) at fair prices
or just boards there..not to mention all kinds of other
computer parts.

Anyway for a good board for around 100 bucks, i recommend
Gigabytes GA-8SG667 board. Supports all the new fancy features (including 8xAGP!!) and 533 FSB, etc etc..for around 95 bucks.

=========================
P4 2.0Ghz, 512DDR PC2100 (for now..soon to be 3200!!), 2 IBM 40 gigers w/ RAID-0 setup, ATI 9700 Pro, SB Audigy, runnin XP Pro.

Thank you for your answer to my "best bang for the buck mobo." I do expect to buy new ram, as nothing seems to be useable beyond a year or so.

As for brand of cpu....It's up in the air...what's the best bang for the buck....?

Thanks

I'm pretty surte that everyone agrees that an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ is the best bang for the buck chip. 50 or so bucks. Get one with a good stepping and, from what I have heard, you will get a very nice overclock out of it. I beleive that www.newegg.com has guaranted steppings.

Thank you for the specificity. Now, what motherboard would you suggest to go with this chip?

Have you considered an Nforce board? Onboard lan, sound and video. For just over $100 usually. All you need to add is a stick of memory, CPU, and power supply (and case). Relatively cheap with onboard video that will actually run 3DMark (GeForce 2 chip onboard). For a minimal system, I find that these boards are often over looked.

h20link said:
I would recommend checking out newegg's refurb section I got a brand new Epox 8KHA+ for $40 shipped.

I'll second that. Throw in an AGOIA 1600XP from newegg, and you've got a $95 speedy combo. Or you could get the 8K3A for the 1/5 pci divisor, giving you 166fsb guaranteed. In either case, you won't be disappointed.

CrystalMethod said:
Have you considered an Nforce board? Onboard lan, sound and video. For just over $100 usually. All you need to add is a stick of memory, CPU, and power supply (and case). Relatively cheap with onboard video that will actually run 3DMark (GeForce 2 chip onboard). For a minimal system, I find that these boards are often over looked.

That's a good idea, too. $69 from newegg.com, plus a free t-shirt!
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=A7N266-vm

I'd have to agree on the nforce board. 53 bucks for the athlon 1600, 68 bucks for the motherboard. 121 bucks to get you up an running not counting ram. ( And unfortunately, you can't use 168 pin sdram on this board.)

Back