• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem vs Core 2 Club - Brolloks comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seriously though 3xGTX295 would be way overkill for just about everything.

That's like purchasing a 5 gallon bucket of mayo for your sandwich or lighting a cigarette with a cruise missile.

I think Quad SLI will do just fine for the time being...

Time to resurrect this thread :)

Got the GTX 295 SLI up and running on the i7-920 rig so I will run the same benchies as at the onset with the GTX 280 SLI. Will then do the same with the Q9650.

Time to resurrect this thread :)

Got the GTX 295 SLI up and running on the i7-920 rig so I will run the same benchies as at the onset with the GTX 280 SLI. Will then do the same with the Q9650.

Looking forward to check out your results. I just purchased a Q9650 (upgrading from a Q6600 @ 3.6), and I'm running a GTX 295.

hello new to this board.
wanted to add my 2 cents
early testing but this is my analysis so far

Dont drink the intel coolaid

i7 is a nice upgrade but not substantial unless you are into synthetic benchmarks, encoding or using multi gpus

I have a q6600 at 3.6
a q9650 at 3.8 (8gb ram) will work on this one, I didnt even have the heatsink properly secured (no backplate)

and now a i7 920 (12gb ram) at 4ghz

my i7 feels actually slower than my q9650 for everyday use.

What i mean by slower (maybe mb bios)
is starting vista sp1 x64 and opening a huge assortment of applications
(word excel ,steam adobe vmware windows 7 , ie mozilla itunes wmc and more)
with my q9650 everything opens without any lag
but with my i7 i see substantial lag
I know this isnt a normal way to test speed.
more of a seat of your pants test.

i would have to say unless you want to drop the cash
stay with a q and wait for the next gen i7s

are you using the same harddrive? 'cause that's the main factor determining the speed of opening up applications.

hello new to this board.
wanted to add my 2 cents
early testing but this is my analysis so far

Dont drink the intel coolaid

i7 is a nice upgrade but not substantial unless you are into synthetic benchmarks, encoding or using multi gpus

I have a q6600 at 3.6
a q9650 at 3.8 (8gb ram) will work on this one, I didnt even have the heatsink properly secured (no backplate)

and now a i7 920 (12gb ram) at 4ghz

my i7 feels actually slower than my q9650 for everyday use.

What i mean by slower (maybe mb bios)
is starting vista sp1 x64 and opening a huge assortment of applications
(word excel ,steam adobe vmware windows 7 , ie mozilla itunes wmc and more)
with my q9650 everything opens without any lag
but with my i7 i see substantial lag
I know this isnt a normal way to test speed.
more of a seat of your pants test.

i would have to say unless you want to drop the cash
stay with a q and wait for the next gen i7s

That's a great comment... Did you notice much of a difference between the Q6600 and the Q9650? I'm still running the 6600 and trying to sort out in my head whether or not there is any need to upgrade now, or just wait and make the jump to i7 later once all the dust settles and a few more iterations have appeared/prices settled/etc.

As was mentioned, unless you're doing alot of encoding or rendering on the rig the gains over C2Q are not great. I am just getting early results from my transition from C2Q to i7 and although the i7 benches really fast the gains in real apps aren't huge...except encoding, which is precisely why I went down this path. 1366 is a monster at HD encoding.

Also the price gap between a respectable s775 rig and a decent s1366 rig has narrowed considerably. I got the Giga UD4P, 3x2GBs DDR3(STT), and i7 920(OEM + stock heatsink) for under $600 shipped from superbiiz...no silly rebates, just good combo prices. Thinking about doing a full review when I have time.

As was mentioned, unless you're doing alot of encoding or rendering on the rig the gains over C2Q are not great. I am just getting early results from my transition from C2Q to i7 and although the i7 benches really fast the gains in real apps aren't huge...except encoding, which is precisely why I went down this path. 1366 is a monster at HD encoding.

Also the price gap between a respectable s775 rig and a decent s1366 rig has narrowed considerably. I got the Giga UD4P, 3x2GBs DDR3(STT), and i7 920(OEM + stock heatsink) for under $600 shipped from superbiiz...no silly rebates, just good combo prices. Thinking about doing a full review when I have time.

Thanks for that... Great buy there... on our pricing, you just about got the ram for free, and I've only heard great things about the i7 Gigabyte boards, esp the UD4P. Review would be great.

I am using the same 300gb velociraptor hd.
I did notice a nice jump from the q9650 from the q6600
I think its the nice size level 2 catch
but does it warrant a 150 price jump assuming you sell your q6600 for 150ish
possibly.

Back