• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem vs Core 2 Club - Brolloks comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've actually downclocked my rig to 3.825 @ 1.26v recently, to see the difference in performance. There is none. But it's running 5C cooler and there's less wear on the chip since the voltage is lower, not that it matters much if my CPU lives for 15 years instead of 13.

All my game benchmarks are the same. The only CPU intensive thing I used to do was video encoding, but now that I'm using a GPU based encoder there's no reason to consider a CPU for that task anymore. In the end it always comes down to what you want to do. If you play Flight Simulator X a lot or do other tasks that heavily depend on the CPU (and aren't GPU utilized yet) then the i7 is obviously unmatched.

4ghz is just a number. I wouldn't mind a Q9550 that I can OC to 3.8 - 3.9 @1.3v or less, when multithreading becomes better utilized and I need a better CPU.

I've actually downclocked my rig to 3.825 @ 1.26v recently, to see the difference in performance. There is none. But it's running 5C cooler and there's less wear on the chip since the voltage is lower, not that it matters much if my CPU lives for 15 years instead of 13.

All my game benchmarks are the same. The only CPU intensive thing I used to do was video encoding, but now that I'm using a GPU based encoder there's no reason to consider a CPU for that task anymore. In the end it always comes down to what you want to do. If you play Flight Simulator X a lot or do other tasks that heavily depend on the CPU (and aren't GPU utilized yet) then the i7 is obviously unmatched.

4ghz is just a number. I wouldn't mind a Q9550 that I can OC to 3.8 - 3.9 @1.3v or less, when multithreading becomes better utilized and I need a better CPU.

gpu based encoding huh....how does it perform ? is it hella faster?

which one is a good one?
is it free?
does it work with ati? does it scale with xfire?

gpu based encoding huh....how does it perform ? is it hella faster?

which one is a good one?
is it free?
does it work with ati? does it scale with xfire?

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

I'd assume it doesn't work with ATI cards since there's no mention of this. Only for G92 or above Nvidia cards. Speed varies depending on what filters you choose but in all cases it's a hell lot faster than CPU encoding. Can't find any reviews of the latest version. Only terrible reviews of the old versions. Past few months with the updates it has gotten MUCH better.

Just wait tomorrow ATI should be updating their official driver to 8.12 with stream support.
Just like nVidia's CUDA

nVidia has also stated Cudu will be compatible with OpenCL, so we should start seing some programs in a few months time that can take advantage of the GPU

I have done the same thing. I've tried going for 4.1-4.3, but it requires a heck of a lot of volts more than my 4.009 settings.

Well, i finally have a decent OC, prime is 26 minutes into it, but so far so good.

211 x 19
Turbo off, HT off
Vcore is 1.3 in Bios.
If I turn on turbo, I've tried raising Vcore to 1.45 and i still get BSOD or prime fails, same thing if I raise multiplier to 20 with turbo off.

Crazy if you ask me.

Edit - I shut it off after about an hour and a half prime, which is the most stable I've gotten this system so far.

Attachments

• 4009.jpg
    4009.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 402
I have done the same thing. I've tried going for 4.1-4.3, but it requires a heck of a lot of volts more than my 4.009 settings.

Well, i finally have a decent OC, prime is 26 minutes into it, but so far so good.

211 x 19
Turbo off, HT off
Vcore is 1.3 in Bios.
If I turn on turbo, I've tried raising Vcore to 1.45 and i still get BSOD or prime fails, same thing if I raise multiplier to 20 with turbo off.

Crazy if you ask me.

Edit - I shut it off after about an hour and a half prime, which is the most stable I've gotten this system so far.

Why did you turn HT off?

Why did you turn HT off?

HT has always been off. For gaming, HT doesn't really give any benefits. Once I get a good stable OC, then I'll see what I have to do to get it stable with HT on for times where I do some encoding, etc. I've also tried on other configs to sabilize with HT on and have failed. I'll give it a try with this one.

It has been a mission to get this stable for me anyways. Maybe I just suck at OCing, but anything higher and it requires more a lot more volts where it isn't worth it in my opinion. That extra 200 MHz isn't worth all the extra heat.

I should be putting her under LC this weekend, so once that happens, I may try for more of an OC just to see how far she goes, but 4 GHz is ok as a 24/7 OC for now.

Is it me, or does the 965 extreme chip give the most versatility for OCing memory?

HT has always been off. For gaming, HT doesn't really give any benefits. Once I get a good stable OC, then I'll see what I have to do to get it stable with HT on for times where I do some encoding, etc. I've also tried on other configs to sabilize with HT on and have failed. I'll give it a try with this one.

It has been a mission to get this stable for me anyways. Maybe I just suck at OCing, but anything higher and it requires more a lot more volts where it isn't worth it in my opinion. That extra 200 MHz isn't worth all the extra heat.

I should be putting her under LC this weekend, so once that happens, I may try for more of an OC just to see how far she goes, but 4 GHz is ok as a 24/7 OC for now.

Is it me, or does the 965 extreme chip give the most versatility for OCing memory?

if you have DDR3 1600 you will have no problems
for a 200MHz bCLK set the ram multiplier to 8 and your still running stock speeds on your memory.

Its the DDR3-1333 that will lead to problems as the 8x mulitplier will most likly be too high so you are stuck using the 6x multiplier for DDR3-1200 speeds

man this thread makes me want to get i7 so bad

Sarcasm? (I hope)

If the only things the i7 are really good at are rendering and encoding, and those are now tasks which are viable on a GPU, that doesn't leave the i7 with much market. Just the "bragging rights" crowd.

if you have DDR3 1600 you will have no problems
for a 200MHz bCLK set the ram multiplier to 8 and your still running stock speeds on your memory.

Its the DDR3-1333 that will lead to problems as the 8x mulitplier will most likly be too high so you are stuck using the 6x multiplier for DDR3-1200 speeds

Actually, I'm running 1600MHz memory at 1680 at stock settings. I just upped VDimm a little bit, just in case.

I meant like if someone wanted to OC the ram to 1800 MHz.

Since multipliers are unlocked, you can just toy with the BCLK and memory multiplier until you get 1800 MHZ, then just adjust CPU multiplier until you get roughly the OC you wanted.

My other options besides 1680 on the i920 is like 2000+ or 1280 or something like that.

Actually, I'm running 1600MHz memory at 1680 at stock settings. I just upped VDimm a little bit, just in case.

I meant like if someone wanted to OC the ram to 1800 MHz.

Since multipliers are unlocked, you can just toy with the BCLK and memory multiplier until you get 1800 MHZ, then just adjust CPU multiplier until you get roughly the OC you wanted.

My other options besides 1680 on the i920 is like 2000+ or 1280 or something like that.

yeah you got it.

crazy guess, your bCLK is 210?
edit guess i could have looked at your CPU-Z screen to confirm for myself

211 actually. I wanted to hit 4.0 lol.

any reason you didnt go 20x200 for 4GHz (other than faster mem ect)?
Or you get better results with the odd multiplier?
Oh and is that voltage CPU reports correct?

I can't get 200 x 20 stable :(

Voltage in bios is 1.30.

interesting.. seems most people get better results with odd multipliers, myself included.

i am only at 21x196 right now, more tweaking required for sure

interesting.. seems most people get better results with odd multipliers, myself included.

i am only at 21x196 right now, more tweaking required for sure

I managed to get 195 x 21 stable last night. 1.31v

anything over 195 Bclk and 20 or 21x is a no go for me. Maybe I just need more patience. I'll continue trying.

I can't get 200 x 20 stable :(

Voltage in bios is 1.30.

seems strange.
run 20x200 and up to 214 before I run into issues.
20x200 set in bios and run 21x200 in windows for 4.2ghz without issues.
1.392vcore which I can lower due to just having 4 threads active, HT on its needs it.P95
f4f bios currently.
ud5

Back