• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem vs Core 2 Club - Brolloks comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry if this has already been answered, but:

What kind of maximum speeds are we looking at (24/7 stable) on stock voltage?

Would a double rad be fine for an OCed 920 or would I see a good gain by going with a triple rad?

Last edited:
Well, I got my system put together and man does it run hot!!

I'm using a True 120-Extreme and idle temps are almost 50C. I didn't lap it. Maybe I'll do that, or maybe I'll just switch my WC to this instead.

Odd even the stock cooler on 965 oced to 4g would idle low 40's..but i do have antec 900 with tons of airflow.

Right now shes 34c:)

Got to 4.3 but ran Prime95 and it rebooted within like 30 seconds. I'll work on it some more.

At least 1M Super Pi was sub 10s.

A couple of things. I can get bus speed to 207 max with Vtt under 1.65. What is the safe max for this?

I know my HSF probably isn't on great, and I'm putting her under water next week, so I'll just deal with the temps like this for now.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 318
I just ran Crysis Benchmark.

Here is one I did with a Q9550 OCed to 3.825 and a 4870X2

68.275 FPS for 1280x1024 No AA

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=122083&d=1219798944

i920 @ 4.2 GHz and a couple 4870X2 in Xfire

81.815 FPS for 1280x1024 No AA

About a 20% increase and that is for a game where Nvidia drivers typically scale better.

Not too bad.

I'll run some more Crysis benchmarks in the next day or two when I have some time.

Attachments

• Crysis.jpg
    Crysis.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
is there any site that has comparisons for Bloomfield and Yorkfield with Tri-Sli / CrossfireX.
Guru3d had only done that with wolfdale

What about waiting for the new shrinks of the GT200 and HD48XX series, there is going to be a newer HD4870X2 with higher clock speeds if I read it correctly. Then a couple months later new 40nm GPU's :D Technology loves to keep moving.

I been reading this thread and it would seem that these new CPU's are faster at encoding rather than gaming... A brand new CPU, and it only can beat it by a few percentage points. Hardly worth the cost of the upgrade. Would this be a correct analogy?

I been reading this thread and it would seem that these new CPU's are faster at encoding rather than gaming... A brand new CPU, and it only can beat it by a few percentage points. Hardly worth the cost of the upgrade. Would this be a correct analogy?

If you are just upgrading the CPU, then No because you'd have to invest in a MB and most likely memory. So the total cost wouldn't justify the small increase that you get, although I think we are just beginning to tap the potential of what these chips can do.

Now, if you are putting together a new system, then it would be worth it imo.

The i920 can be had for $230-250 if you take advantage of the MS live deal. The same can be said for MB. If you went with the old tech, then you'd have to reaplace all that stuff if you ever decided to go with a newer CPU, so you'd be saving month there.

As I posted on another thread,I purchased both for about $460 which is not much more than if you were to get an E8600 and an Asus P5Q3 MB.

the Tri-channel low Vdimm memory was cheaper than when I bought my other DDR3 sticks.

If you are just upgrading the CPU, then No because you'd have to invest in a MB and most likely memory. So the total cost wouldn't justify the small increase that you get, although I think we are just beginning to tap the potential of what these chips can do.

The i920 can be had for $230-250 if you take advantage of the MS live deal. The same can be said for MB. If you went with the old tech, then you'd have to reaplace all that stuff if you ever decided to go with a newer CPU, so you'd be saving month there.

As I posted on another thread,I purchased both for about $460 which is not much more than if you were to get an E8600 and an Asus P5Q3 MB.

the Tri-channel low Vdimm memory was cheaper than when I bought my other DDR3 sticks.

Yeah, I would have to do the entire ball of wax to move over. The mobo's are just way too much money. Spending $100 to $150 on a 9R mobo, but $220 to $400? WTF?:shrug: No need for this... The RAM at this point is the cheapest part for this upgrade. This is reminding me of ATI/Nvidia price gouging tactics

Why compare it to e8600 and a DDR3 board? An e8400 E0 w/ a good DDR2 board would be a lot cheaper and give you the same performance if you OC. You seem to want to compare the cheapest possible i7 setup to more costly 775 components (which aren't required if you know how to OC, and know that DDR3 provides no advantage on 775).

Get that e8400 and DDR2 board off of eBay w/ the Live deal or shop in the classies, and you save LOTS of cash w/ the same or better performance in games using a single gfx card.

e8400 E0 - $130-140
P45 DDR2 mobo - $100-120
4GB DDR2 - $15-$60

That's 1/2 the price of your $460 setup, and you didn't even include your RAM costs. Plus you have the option of getting an even cheaper CPU and mobo that will still perform admirably in games.

By the time you need a new CPU the whole i7 lineup should be cheaper, the boards will be matured, and the DDR3 will be faster w/ better timings and cost a lot less.

If I had to buy a gaming rig from scratch right now on a limited budget I'd still go 775.

When we talk upgrades, we have different crowds to think of.

Sure, those on a budget would be better off with a system like that(great performance for a good price), but if that is the case, why would they even consider a $300 CPU?

I'm under the assumption that if someone is considering upgrading to a $300 CPU, they are willing to spend a little bit of cash so that is why I used an E8600 and a DDR3 Mb as a comparison.

You can go a bit cheaper depending on which CPU/MB you get, but in the end you have to decide for yourself if it is worth upgrading for you. For a new system, it would be for me.

By the time you need a new CPU

How many of us actually wait to buy a CPU when we "need" it.

In reality, how many of our members "need" a QX9770, QX9650, Q9950, etc???

We get it because we want to.

I don't disagree with your comments overall. There are cheaper alternatives, but some people are willing to pony up a few bucks more for "better" components. While some prefer to get the cheapest things they can and OC it to the max. Nothing wrong with either one of those.

Last edited:
My system is plenty PLENTY fast. E6850 oced to 3.7Ghz with my GTX 280 and thats OCed too. I play everything maxed out. Do I need it, no. Do I want it, Absolutely. Personally I would rather get an E8600 and OC the crap out of it and call it a day.

Absolutely, i7 has no clear advantage in gaming over the c2Q, but thats AT THIS MOMENT.
The guru3D article has an interesting topic to discuss- would i7 scale better than Yorkfield if we had more powerful GPUs ? But oddly enough, those people chose to compare Wolfdale with Bloomfield, and then exclaiming at the bottleneck the dual-core had with multi-gpu setups. I am not saying Yorkfield would perform equivalently, but thats suspicious.
Till then, its better to hold your comments, maybe the next few games and cards show us a real difference.

Brolloks said:
I will do dual 4870X2's with a Q9650 vs i7-920 early January.
January ? Thats 30 days away :cry:
Also,have you done any code compilation benchmarks between the two ?

Getting stuff because you want it is one thing, but if you only game with your PC then there's no viable reason to go this route. I mean, from initial reports it seems the i7 breaks 4ghz on a regular basis with the right cooling.

One does have to consider that even Q9550's don't break into 4ghz easily.

When we think of Core 2's hitting 4ghz+, we don't realize we're talking about Wolfdale/E8500/E8600. Let's see a Yorkfield hit 4ghz+ that doesn't cost $500. Because if you put it that way, the i7 upgrade is the same price as a Core 2 Quad apples to apples, because it would cost you $500/$150/$50 for ram whereas the i7 set up will cost you $300/$250/$150. It's practically the same set up price.

That's of course if your goal is 4ghz+ with a Quad Core.

Back