• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never seen this before

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

A customer of mine called me and said his monitor was not displaying color, only gray scale.

He lives very close by and the football game I was watching was so one-sided as to be boring so I went to his house to check it out. He said it happened when he "clicked on something but I can't remember what it was."

I checked Windows 10 display and "Personalize" settings and could find noting wrong or anything to get color back. I checked his hardware monitor controls and could find nothing to cause or correct this condition. I noticed that when I wiggled his HDMI cable where it plugged into the monitor the picture would disappear and then reappear. So we replaced his HDMI cable which fixed that issue but not the color issue.

We restarted the computer. Made no difference.

I checked the Windows update history and there were no updates that were dated such to be associated with the onset of the problem.

Finally, I went to Device Manager and checked for a GPU update (Nvidia GTX 750Ti) and there was a newer driver found. I downloaded and installed it and that fixed the no color problem. The customer wanted to know what he clicked on to cause the problem. I told him I had no idea and that it could have been coincidence.

Anyone ever run into a phenomenon like this?

grayscale mode, found in accessiblity iirc. It would be a setting that "was clicked".

grayscale mode, found in accessiblity iirc. It would be a setting that "was clicked".

Well, I looked in that area when I was at his house and couldn't find a gray scale setting. Looked again just now on my computer and couldn't find such a thing either. There's the ability to choose accent colors and high contrast themes but nothing for gray scale that I can find.

Back