• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8k5a2+ Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the actual flashing takes less than one minute...

Flashing is funny, if it goes right, it's done in about 10seconds and you go "hey, that was easy, I wonder why more people don't do it", but if it goes wrong you usually never want to try it again...

I am not going to tell you do it, or even suggest you do it, but if you decide you want to try I will walk you through all the steps...

Didn't you explain the steps above?

If something goes wrong, what would it be? What are the most common probs?

When you flash the BIOS you are actually reprograming an EPROM(Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory), it is a chip on your motherboard where the BIOS instructions are kept, by flashing you are changing(reprogramming)the BIOS instructions, replacing them with a new set of instructions, in your case to fix several bugs and to improve OC'ing. If something goes wrong during the flash(loss of power, the GODS, whatever)those instructions are lost, scrambled. Since the BIOS is the soul of your motherboard it won't do anything. There are ways to fix a damaged BIOS, I have a motherboard here that has a bad BIOS, my fix is to have the company I bought it from send me a new. There are others ways, hopefully we don't have to worry about!

The instructons were as I exlained:

1. Extract the BIOS image file (named 5a2p2909.bin) to a blank
floppy disk with no bad sectors on it.

2. Restart the machine with the floppy disk in the floppy drive.
When prompted at machine initialization, press ALT+F2 to begin
performing the flashing of the BIOS.

3. The BIOS will automatically flash and reboot the machine.

4. After this, press DEL to enter the BIOS setup and select to "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS". After doing this select to "SAVE & EXIT."

5. Allow the machine ro restart and load to completions(in my case WIndows)

6. After you are confident everything is okay, go back into the BIOS and start having some fun.

Last edited:
Is this your only computer, do you have another, one you can access the internet with in case something goes wrong or if yuo need a file or something

No, I have 2 PC's. I'm on my secondary one now.

You know, I've done some thinking, I'm going to skip flashing the BIOS for now. I think I'm doing ok with this one. Besides I hear you really only need to flash it if you are having problems with it, or you really need the update. As far as I'm concerned the 8/15 bios is ok for me.

I saved your instructions for further reference incase I ever need to flash it. Thanks.

Back