• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build won't POST with drives plugged in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irrykuxeh

Recently pawned off my old rig to buy a new PC for Christmas, but I'm running into some issues.

Interestingly, the PC will not boot up (no fans/no lights/no nothing) if I have even a single SATA power cable connected to either of the drives that I bought. To clarify, everything else normal, if I completely unplug both drives from power and data, and plug SATA power into either one of them, no boot. Without the drives, build POSTs and everything seems normal. It will even boot from my Windows 10 USB stick.

Anyone have any advice? I'd like to get this rig up and running! Thanks!

Specs:
Intel i5-6600k
AMD Radeon R9 Fury
Seasonic X750 Gold
Asus z170-A
16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM 2400Mhz
Swiftech H240-X
Corsair 330R

Whether or not the SATA controller mode is set to AHCI in bios should not prevent the fans and lights from showing activity. It would prevent booting all the way into Windows, however.

It sounds like to me the SATA controller is bad. I would first try updating the bios before returning the board.

Back