• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new Doom ]I[ screenshots from E3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
funnyperson1 said:
I think HL2 will be better. Maybe not graphically, but gameplay wise.

I think your right. It scares me that all we hear about doom III concerns graphics. The only other thing we know about it, is that we get to have a PDA. Game play wise we know very little, and I think we would have heard something positive by now.

Oni said:
Can any of you name a game that iD has released that sucks?

Rescue rover :) http://www.idsoftware.com/games/vintage/rescuerover/

But I agree with you, no matter what the game is most likely going to be really really good and will probably set some new revenue records for ID.

To be honest I really didn't enjoy the first quake game, and while 2 was OK it wasn't exactly interesting holding either.

Quake III arena is just well.. Blast people to hell. ID doesn't make games. They make engines. That's how a friend has convinced me to see it anyway

This whole mentality that Carmack is some sort of demi-god and ID is infallable is ...well, rediculous. I have been a loyal ID customer for many years. I have Quake 1,2,3, Ultimate DOOM, DOOM ][, Wolfenstein (they worked on it at least) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They all had appealing aspects to them but DOOM has always remained my favorite. I just think it's kind of pathetic people worship the company to the extent they do. One mans trash is another mans treasure and all that aside, I guess maybe I am too analytical about things. I don't care whos name is on it anymore...except for maybe Microsoft.. Other than that, if it's good, and it's better than something for the same price I'll buy it. That goes for hardware and games and anything else to do with my PC. Nothing wrong with a little loyalty, but sometimes I have to sit back and shake my head.

I also don't like this double standard that pops up whenever the public gets screenshots, or betas/alphas for games that aren't out yet.. If we have the right to say "this r0x0rz me!" then we also have the right to be dissapointed in the product, it's really a black and white issue.

My concern with DOOM 3 is simple. They said it's going to have story, so I am going to expect a story. I don't like the idea of them completely changing familiar characters around (ala Lost Souls) however that is merely a secondary concern. Graphics take a very far seat in the back as far as I am concerned. I want the story that we are supposed to get - and I want PLAY TIME, and replay value. I want something to scare my balls off, make me afraid to play in the dark and that will invoke physical reaction. I want the original experience I got with DOOM (that only half-life has been able to match)

I don't want some rinky dink 5 hour game, or a tech-demo. I want a game. Something that the FPS comminuty has just been lacking in the purest of senses lately.

after watching the trailer, it seems to me they ripped off a lot from half-life...

I can agree with you all that the game looks good.. but seriously doesnt it remind you to much of Resident evil ? ive played all the versions of R-Evil an somehow it just reminds me of it ? ... anyone else see the link ?

Just read this: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/news_6027989.html

The quote that made me shudder was this:
When asked how long the game would be, Carmack wouldn't commit to a specific length but said that he favors the recent trend in the game industry toward shorter games with richer, deeper content packed into the duration.

I thinks it unreal (pun intended) that he would think people like short games. I guess it won't matter if the random level generator is included but still I don't like short games.

For the love of god, let that not be true......You'd have to be assinine to seriously beleive people will pay you $50 + for a 2 minute game because it has "1337 3D Gr4phiocs"

That is to say, real people outside of the hardcore/fanboy crowd

Ottoman said:
meh..
not that great...the old screenies looked better these new ones made it look worse...

but i'll prob play it anywho, just to see what all the hype is about...

but i think that other new soldier game comin on the cryo engine or whatever will be better than this

I think ur saying that trying sound cool.

Well... I HAVE'nt... played it.. repeat.. HAVE 'nt played it =P
its awsome looking, and very scarry type of game. I can play clock tower/ sielte hill with out a flincht.. but this game rocks. Anyone who says its ugly or stupid, has never played a vidoe game befor. Oh well people claim starcraft sucks. and that counter strike is no fun. The numbers will speak for it.

ANYHOO.. the only game that will reivel this in teck. is half life 2. From what ive read it will blow games apart that are on the market now

Neco said:
Yea..the Lost Souls ("flying heads") suck imho.. They should have at LEAST based it off the original look. It was much better.

I hope the imps make a return, and actually look like some hairy ape beast too, this seems like it is turning out a little too-much scifi from the screenshots I've seen.

The imps are back already. They're the ones that throw the fire and have all those little eyes on their head. Those things freak me out.

is it just me or does anyone else think this game is going to be a HUGE let down? dont get me wrong i am GOING to get it, but mostly just for its visuals, not because i think its going to be a good game. by the way, the matrix reloaded was a HUGE let down as well.

You know how they have 'mind your step' signs before a set of steps you're not expecting? You should do that with comments on a film that hasn't even been released in many countries yet.

what are you talking about? i was giving my opinion on a movie, i didnt give away ANY of the plot or anything. i didnt know it was against the rules to post a comment about a movie.

Because my opinion may be influenced. I could have walked in there, saw the movie, and then come out of it having formed my own opinion. Instead of watching and enjoying it, I'll be watching it, too busy thinking whether this movie really does suck, or whether I should rebel and say it's good.

lol. dude, its a movie, you shouldnt be thinking about what someone else said about it. if you are that easily influenced, then the internet is not the place for you. its my opinion on the movie, there were plenty of other people in there that were very satisfied with the movie, but i wasnt, thats all. even though i didnt think it was great, i would watch it again, because it had such spectacular visuals. besides, dont you read movie reviews before you watch a movie, or read reviews of games before you buy them? come on, i gave my opinion about it, take it for what its worth, everyone has their own taste, mine may be completely different from yours. good point oni, i gave my opinion on that a couple posts up. :)

Oni said:
And this has what to do w/ Doom III?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

anyway, BACK ON SUBJECT.....

Quake III arena is just well.. Blast people to hell. ID doesn't make games. They make engines. That's how a friend has convinced me to see it anyway

that's how I see it. Camrack has said that Doom III will NOT have revolutionary gameplay, NOT have revolutionary AI, NOT have revolutionary plot. It's a damn engine when it boils down to it. It's Doom, but with better graphics. That's it. The only reason it has a plot is so YOU have a reason to blast the demons [back] to hell.

Doom III is being created MAINLY so game makers have a new engine to work with. I'm fairly certain that everyone is getting tired of the Quake III engine....and I bet id is getting tired of liscensing it out, heh.

The only gameplay in Doom III will be first picking up a gun, and second blasting demons with said gun. Rinse and repeat.

if you are expecting an involving plot with interesting characters, then you had better find a different game....

I'm not saying it won't be fun. Serious Sam was fun. it's old school fun.....just mindlessly running around blasting everything you see and getting scared out of your wits.....

Back