• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont want it all wiggy on me

i will probably go with kingson or whoever else is kinda brand name

Buffalo seems pretty good, i know their higher end moduals use winbond and have done very will in reviews... and they are cheap... suit yourself however:D

okay sounds good then

ive just had soooooooo much trouble with ram i buy online i hate dealing with rma's

I personally use Kingmax PC2100 as when you read the reviews regarding this make of memory ( on the front of overclockers.com ), it runs very well on lower voltages and because a great deal of these systems use low power it makes a lot of sence, the Kingmax also has a low profile, some DDR have dimensions which are larger than others and can become the highest point on the system if no additional PCI cards are fitted. I would personally use 512 due to everything being onboard.. this amount of memory runs makes a very nice system.

With regards to what (SFF, small form factor ) I would suggest it would have to be Flex-ATX.. I believe that some mobos that if you run a lot of the components close together such as on the smaller MINI-ATX create additional heat problems and can be flakey and unpredicatable in every sence of the word.. in the small ATX based systems Flex is as small as I would personally go and Celeron is the processor I would use, the other processors just create to much heat.
If buying SFF.. buy a high quality make

With regards to the ITX platform I would suggest a ME6000 if you only want active cooling ie no processor fan ( 600Mhz Eden Processor, Embedded MPEG-2 decoder, 6 Channel audio, 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2, Firewire and TV-Out support / Takes DDR Memory ) or if you want more power look at the M9000 ( 933Mhz C3 Processor, Embedded MPEG-2 decoder, 6 Channel audio, 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2.0, Firewire and TV-Out support.

The reason I reccomend the M9000 over the M1000 is that the difference in performance is seriously marginal and more noticable imho is the increase in price, if you do decide to go for a M1000 ensure that you get a Nehemiah M10000 and not a M1000 with a Ezra-T core

i think ill stick with the 9000 witch was my or 6000
itx

i want s video out but if i get a flex atx board i will probably have to buy a card

shame about the only 1 ram slot

512 sounds good for now i guess as ram getts cheaper i can always go to the big 1g

im not to worried about the ram being high but ill keep it in mind

update****************************************

im a little ****ed off about the glass box ( its apparently out of stock for 6 weeks

i will try to go to the mall's bombay and see if they have one in stock

UPDATED

okay i got the glass box after scowering the GD earth
i finally got one im having my parents pick it up ( since i had to work the middle shift)

ill take a few quick shots of it and post them later

next reqirement is getting the PSU and the MOBO ( witch is still at a certian level of indesision)

anybody know a 1u psu maker in the USA

it seems like all this micro itx stuff is in england

im thinking a 1u psu around 200 watts or 150

its going to be the mobo a hdd a cdrom and some usb prerials

the mobo is ultra low power so i dont think i would ned much more than that

i see there are two diffretn psu standardsd for 1u

1) 150mm*81.5mm*40.6mm long skinny one
2) 4 3/8in* 2.5in*4 7/8in more of a square

im going to make a paper mock up and see witch one fits better

i also want to do some ducting ( not like big but point the air in and back out a set of holes in the bottom)

UPDATE

got the box and it is FANTASTIC not quite as deep as i expected but the little elephants are to blame since bombay measures the outside not the inside

anyway the micro itx mobo fits in with about a 1 mabey 1.4 inchs to the back perfect for what i need ( i dont think ill need to cut the glass)

im makeing mockup psu and stuff now to play around with the lay out

does anyone know how tall a micro itx board is?

as usuall

sorry i promised you pics of the case but the second i focoused on the box the cameras battery went dead

figures

anyway ill try to get you more later

UPDATE*****************

i purchased teh via epia m10,000 for 162 ( cheapest i could find)

im still not sure if im going with a full size hdd(S) or what

or if im going to mabey go with a remote power supply

i really want to fit it all in there but we will see.

that remains to be seen

all the iceing stuff is on hold right now

i will see how much room i have and more importantly how much cash i have left

im thinking of all sorts of neat stuff but it all costs a lot

any cool ideas you guys think of let me know ill give you credit if i use it

right now my biggest technical / finahal hurttles are

in order of most pain in the assness
dvd ( mabey cdr) rom ( mabey slim line)
psu where to get it cheap and cram it in there
hdd ( full size or laptop)

if you can get the glass panel out or send me the diamentions, I can cut that glass with the waterjet... it would look really kool with real glass in it!!!!

Charlie

thank you for the offer

i may take you up on it

thought the glass is going to be kinda hard to get out ( its backed by wood thats glued and nailed)

UPDATE

got the sparkle 200watt ball bearting 1u psu

looks fannnntastic

im going to take some pictures tongith and post them monday at work ( still dont have interent)

Crash893 said:
i really want to fit it all in there but we will see.

If you give me the internal measurements and what parts you want to fit in there I can use my 3D software to plan the most efficient usage of space.

My link recommendations for parts

www.idot.com (Minit-ITX boards and IDE adapter fors laptop drives)
www.power-on.com (flex ATX power supplies)

that would help alot

ill get them to night

its a standard cdrom

a standard size hdd

the mobo is 17cm x 17 cm by about 2 inch tall at the hiest point

and the psu is 220L x 84W x 40.5H mm

ill get teh case measurements tonight

Back