• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New version of CS in development

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my humble opinion, game developers typically don't do a very good job at "changing" games. If you change something it takes away from the previous so called "awesomeness" of a game and then they lose sales. Am I wrong to say that? Now I'm not dissing Bungie, Halo is pretty fun. But all of the Halo games are the same. You run around a map, shooting aliens. A lot of games are like that. Run around. Shooting Something.
And the guys that are designing and building the levels are the same type of people that design and build the CGI for movie work, it's usually just a much higher resolution.

If people want changes in their movies, then they need to go see other movies than just the high budget blow em up movies that come to the theaters. Look other places for movies like film festivals and lesser known directors. If people want changes in their games, they need to expand their genre of games past first person shooter games. There are so many different varieties out there, you just have to look for them.

No, I think you misunderstood my statement was more in line with people still playing Quake 3, or UT2004, not that developers don't like to try and keep a series fresh.

People still play old old games, hell some people still play CS1.6.

This just means that people don't like to change games, when you get good at a game, the next game in a series is USUALLY WORLDS APART, because hey, you were good at the one before, and it got built into you... the slighest change throws you off.

I wonder what the price tag will be. If its $50-60... then I guess you are paying for the same game again with updated textures and gameplay tweaks, at least thats what I understand from what I have read and seen.

I wonder what the price tag will be. If its $50-60... then I guess you are paying for the same game again with updated textures and gameplay tweaks, at least thats what I understand from what I have read and seen.

The molotov cocktail seems like a major game changer.

Yes but is molotov worth $50-60 seems like they could have added that with an update along with the texture update and gameplay tweaks along time ago. In the end I hope it pans out for all of you CS peeps. I also hope there is something in the future for DoD as well.

Yes but is molotov worth $50-60 seems like they could have added that with an update along with the texture update and gameplay tweaks along time ago. In the end I hope it pans out for all of you CS peeps. I also hope there is something in the future for DoD as well.

Starcraft II was essentially what you described but they added a lot more to the game than that, even minor balance tweaks justify it being a completely different game, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about a MASSIVELY APPRECIATED HIGHLY COMPETITIVE TITLE.

It's commercial suicide to change CS: Source or CS 1.6 in such major ways because A) it could make the game harder to run for some people, b) it could rebalance the game in ways that commercially sponsored gaming teams don't appreciate or c), it's generally a better idea to release it as a new game anyway because of the reasons above. That way a new crowd can form, plus changing a beloved game is like death for some people.

Go read commentary on patchnotes for WoW. A change that is universally good pisses more people off than you'd think. For example, making mounts cheaper, a good thing for all except those that had tp pay full price eons ago.

Even though these people eventually have to concede that if it was as hard as it used to be, getting to 85 would take months and that's just too long for a MMORPG. For some, levelling is just a waste of time, for others a rite of passage, and for even more, the journey in and of itself.

Change pisses people off, a new game might :censored::censored::censored::censored: off some but nobody loses anything. It just makes sense to me especially when the game in question is a universally loved competitive title. Plus, we can all assume it won't be 50$. Valve isn't that full of themselves, they'll release it in a box set that costs 50, but will probably include HL3 and maybe another experimental title, as well as an assortment of TF2 hats or something.

Heard it here first!

they'll release it in a box set that costs 50, but will probably include HL3 and maybe another experimental title, as well as an assortment of TF2 hats or something.

Heard it here first!
You can't be serious lol

As for change, you can't make everyone happy someone will always be butt hurt. Like I said before I hope it all pans out and turns out to be a sexy new CS.

Last edited:
Apparently you will remain to be butt hurt about this game Radio.

I'm not butt hurt :) I was just reading and watching videos this morning and started thinking about what the price will possibly be and what you get for your $ and does it justify a new game. In the end we don't know what they will be charging for the game...

AFAIK this will be a downloadable game for pc/360/ps3 so it won't cost more than $20.

Plus, even valve made it clear that this is not a CS sequel more of a spin off. Its done by a different studio and not at valve.

Um.....where have we seen this before?

The flop that was Condition Zero anyone?

Or Source for that matter? When CGS died, the "pros" moved back to CS 1.6 which effectively killed CS:S in the competitive arena. Lets face it, you don't play CS unless you are in ESEA or in a league.

I read somewhere that they may take the FTP with micro transactions model. Wonder if thats what it will be.

They're not going to do that. Yes, monetarily it makes a crap ton of sense because even non gamers play counter strike and having that much micro transaction action is just super hot to anybody in the business to make money. The trouble with that though is that they'll be ruining a highly competitive title and most companies know better.

I suppose they did that with TF2, but I don't recall anybody playing TF2 in any kind of pro circuit... at least nobody I care about. I don't personally feel the game is nuanced enough to be highly competitive, fun as it may be.

This game will bring the worst kind of counsel vs pc gamers.

I wonder if I will be able to tweak the game as much I used to back in 1.6...

I really need to find my settings for 1.6.

Back