• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New--What P-4 based CPU do you have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

New--What P-4 based CPU do you have?

• Celeron Willamette or Northwood 478

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Celeron D Prescott 478 or LGA775

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • P-4 Willamette 423 or 478

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • P-4 Northwood 478

Votes: 82 31.4%
  • P-4 Prescott 478

Votes: 38 14.6%
  • P-4 Prescott 5XX LGA775

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • P-4 Prescott 6XX LGA775

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Extreme Edition 478 or LGA775

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Pentium D dual core

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • any P-4 based mobile CPU

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
i686 said:
hi'
I don't really understand your flame toward prescott on skt 478, or may be you burned it trying to overclock it too far ;)

I was just noting how much heat it produces. It is still operating just fine. Had I just done my research back then I probably would have just stuck with my Northwood.

I've always had this chip under a XP-90 and now it's under a SI-120. Funny thing is, the fan on my SI-120 pushes 57CFM and the temps I'm recording are exactly the same as when I had my XP-90 with a fan that only pushed 45CFM. Granted, the noise has gone down noticeably, but still. I'm not worried about it though, because whether I get a Cedar Mill or a Conroe this cooler should be quite sufficient.

478 pressy

yep, running an intel space heater.....I laugh in the faces of all of the AMD owners out there. I got a two for one. Computer and heater....prescotts are the second nicest things in the world on a cold night...as far as heat and entertainment are concerned.

3.0e moderately overclocked to 3.52 - stable on a 22 hour prime95 torture test.

Wow, as of now Northwood is in the lead by a good amount, I didn't know there were still so many using Northwood. (Im basing this off of if the voting trend continues)

BTW, Are Dothans considered P-4 based mobiles?

i have a 520 prescott. when i bought it in feb 05, i had no idea of knowing that the day after i recieved the cpu the 6xx series would come out. ah well.

Sjaak's right. The Pentium 4-M and Celeron M are both mobile P4-based CPUs, but the Dothan cores are a completely different (and quite spectacular) design.

I've got a 670 ES on high end water cooling

Just got the rig set up, so I'm still working on max stable overclock...4.5 right now with 266fsb...hoping for more :)

Old rig that's going to my wife is a P4 Northy 478 [email protected]

Prescott

You know I part of the reason I put off getting a Prescott was due to all the talk of their heat issues. Well I picked up a 540J 3.2 new on Ebay for 160 delivered and a Epox 5PDAJ socket-T mobo with the 865 chipset It was $75 delivered!. Still with AGP and and standard DDR mem. This way I could just essentially swap out motherboards in my system. I had to get a new water block too. I got the Swiftech 6002-775. I put is all together and fired it up just terrified of the heat issue. Well My liquid cooler uses a squirrel cage fan and a 6 ft. dryer hose to feed air to my radiator. So I set it right by my sliding glass door that was opened a few inches to draw in cold air in from outside. Well it fired to life at stock spped and the cpu stayed steady at 12C!! Even running PCMark or what ever I ran so I started raising the FSB I jumped it right straight to 260fsb (4160mhz) raised the voltage to 1.425 and the G.Skill mem will handle 2.9 volts so that is where I set it. The mem was set at 2.5-3-3-6 I fird it up and it Idled at 14C!! I should tell you it was 10C outside that evening. So I again restarted and this time jumped it up to 269
Why 269, well that is where my 3.0C Northwood liked it the best!! I hit F10 and enter and it fired right to life!! Idling still at 14C. Now I was running at an actual speed of about 269.7 and a 4315mhz! clock. I ran super pi .I ran pcmark 02 04 and 05 it never went over 21C!!
When I got home from work the next evening I found I could boot all the way to 278fsb with my mem running 1:1 with my timings at 3-3-3-7. Still the temps were at 18C at idle and 25C under load!! I finally hit the wall at 287fsb running my prescott at 4590 with the mem on the 5:4 divider I pulled 6996 in PCmark 04 and it never went over 26C. This is the absolute coolest system I have ever run and it completely destroys every bench I ever did with my 3.0C I never benched it higher than 4086mhz
1:1 cuz that was it's wall. So if you add up the pieces my board and processor were $235 delivered. The water block was $42 so 277 for a system that just shreds benches and never runs higher that 25C. Well don't be afraid of a Prescott.
Truly the fastest, smoothest, Coolest system I have ever had!!
ghghghg.jpg

coolrunning.jpg

ffff.jpg

WeldZilla

i bought a 1.6a northwood right when it came out. still probably my favoret cpu to date considering the overclockability of that chip.. simply amazing

i built five shuttle xpc sffs for work that use willamette celerons (one uses a northwood celeron). the two remaining shuttles i built both use mobile a-xp with via km400 combo and they feel light years faster then the celeron shuttles...but the celery's are good for the internet and powerpoint, which is about all we use them for.

apart from the mendocino and tualatin cores every other celeron has pretty much been garbage compared to amd's low end offerings...the p4-based ones are no exception.

Another vote for s478 Northwood. A 2.4c @ 3.3, and a 3.0c @ 3.6.

I also have a Celeron D 2.4ghz @ stock (the HTPC's motherboard can't OC.)

The 2.4c rig will be replaced somewhat soon, but is going to continue serving as my sister's PC, so it'll be in use for a while still :)

Back