• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWBIE - real basics not in FAQ. HELP PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grubazaba

Hi i'm new round here and i'd like to know a few real basics which i can't find anyhwhere:

1. what is a normal-good cfm and rpm for standard 80mm case fan?

2. what is a normal-good cfm and rpm for standard cpu heatsink and 60mm fan?

3. is this any good or does it just look pretty (£17 / $26)?
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/hhc-001.htm

4. what is the average price for this sorta thing?

5. what temp should my system ideally be idling at??
mine is currently 32-36 for system and 35-39 for CPU.

TIA

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
Now that we got that out of the way.
1. Std. 80mm 3000rpm - 37 to 40cfm
2. Most are 5000-7000rpm - 35 to 44cfm (LOUD)
3. It actually has good reviews, the problem is it is LOUD. There are other options, fan adapter w/ 80mm fan, Thermalright AX-7 w/ 80mm-50cfm fan or A/C.
4. Average price in the USA $30-33.
5. Your temps are not to bad, considering the ambient. A new high speed fan is not going to drop it much lower.

cheers Da Whip!

as well as the HCC-100 they also do the HHC-L61 Super Heatpipe Cooler (Same as above w/low noise fan) but i can't find that for sale anywhere.

when gaming, last time i checked my system was up to about 50.

the standard heatsink and fan on my fcpga PIII is really loud i agree. my cheapo system fan £5 (~$8) is really quiet (3037rpm)

Zaba :)

3. It actually has good reviews, the problem is it is LOUD. There are other options, fan adapter w/ 80mm fan, Thermalright AX-7 w/ 80mm-50cfm fan or A/C.

actually i have an adapter on order and another fan on order to test out the difference.

and some pax-mate to quieten my system - will this add to the system temp too?

is there such a thing as a 60 - 120 adaptor??

cos a 60-80 and then an 80-120 adaptor would put the fan about 3 cm from the heat sink don't ya think ?!

got an exhaust blower on the way too. had mixed reviews about those. at £6 i thought i don't have much to lose!!

Thanks penguin. had seen that.

i think i'll leave the water till i have a pc that is worth it!

this one is crap! i just want to keep it cool cos it's a tiny case (approx. 37H x 19W x 32L) with a lot goin on in it.

the only thing i'm really overclocking is my graphics card - as i cant find how to overclock my PIII 700 fcpga.

how do i tell if my power supply is good enough?

the board manufacturer says min 150 watts, mine is 240.
but i've got a voodoo 5 pci that uses an LP4 hard drive connector.
and 2 fans (connected to motherboard) and until recently 2 hard drives and a cdrom player. (soon to be one hard drive, a DVD player, and a cdrom).

am i pushing my luck a little?

my p3-700@933 with 2hd and 2cd-roms and 3 case fans ran fine off of the 250watt powersupply, so you should be ok..

jay showed me this page about an hour ago. You PIII only throws off 18.5W max., so even a .4 C/W rated Heatsink @ 25C ambient would get you 35C temps.

My dad run 2 CDROMs, 2 Hard drives, and a SiS 6326 8MB SDRAM vid card on a 1GHz Celeron with a 145 watter, so yours is fine, for now. :)

grubazaba said:

when gaming, last time i checked my system was up to about 50.

the standard heatsink and fan on my fcpga PIII is really loud i agree. my cheapo system fan £5 (~$8) is really quiet (3037rpm)

I got the same temps ~50° for CPU and ~40° MoBo.

My cheapo case fan isn´t that quiet if I set it to "full energy" (~3300 rpm)! Setting it to half - the noise is the same as from my PSU and stock Intel CPU fan.

Wish I had a more quiet one :beer:

Back