• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob with new build having problems (big read!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shobberz

Hi all,

Really open to suggestions and ideas and I appreciate all help I can get as this is my first build of a PC as I am a console gamer, I do all my research via the internet and make sure I’m relatively clued up before I do any project of any kind.

Here is the story so far… As I have started to make a log of errors and what I have done to remedy them near the end.

So my build.

Rampage V Extreme/3.1 USB
i7 5930k
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3333mhz
Corsair H110i Cooler
2x Evga GTX 980ti ACX 2.0+ Backplate in SLi, with 3 way long EVGA sli connector, GPU in slot 1 GPU 2 in slot 4.
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512gb SSD
AX1200i PSU
LiteOn DVD Drive
ROG OC unit Installed via Drive bay
Enthoos Luxe White Case
Layout of Case is 1 really big fan at front as an input, 1 120mm on bottom as an input, 2 120mm mounted on radiator as an input on the top of case and 1 120mm on the back as extraction.

I built it all up and when it booted one of the first things I noticed was the LED’s on one of the GPUs was dimmer than the other, (this may be of importance later in this story) installed Windows 10, installed all the drivers, installed Corsair link, installed Aida64, installed Gefore Experience, I stuck an auto overclock of 4.4ghz from the BIOS on it, booted up fine and started getting a few benchmark scores on valley, did a couple of tiny tweaks via afterburner and my frist recorded score on Extreme HD was 5515- FPS 131.8, MIN 38.4, MAX 208.2 this was in SLI mode, so I did a few more tweaks and took pictures to see my progress and the best I got was 5531- FPS 132.2 Min 39.1 MAX 212.0, at this point I check my CPUID and was only getting 1200mhz (2400mhz) from my RAM but I knew this was capable of 3333mhz so I started watching a few videos and tweaking CPU and DRAM in BIOS (at some point I updated the bios I think it was before I messed up and started getting issues) I ended up messing up the setting in bios and windows wouldn’t boot and needed a system restore, this restored it to when I first booted the PC for the first time, all installed programs were gone and needed installing again.

So I installed all the same programs again, started running some benchmarks and tweaking overclocking in bios just basic like 4.5/4.4 etc but start getting errors mostly codes 60 and 90, at this point I wasn’t looking at the lights on the board. So run benchmarks on Valley again and the scores were terrible and visually I could see stuttering the scores dropped to 3000’s, my min FPS was around the 20 mark and my max wasn’t even hitting 200 mark. I played with the settings in Nvidia, re downloaded the drivers and all the software based issues it could be causing such a dip in performance and it made very little improvement, I still couldn’t get a run on Valley where my MIN FPS would stay above 30FPS and nowhere near the 5000 score mark.

I put this down to the restore of windows, went into the menu and did a full install again and when it asks to wipe everything I did, so I did a full install again from totally fresh being very careful and leaving OC to default until I was happy I had done everything correctly. I set it all up again run the test and they were slightly better but still nowhere near my original set of results before messing up my operating software through overclocking, I can see small stutters and jitters where as before it was super smooth with no jittering at all.

Ever since then even the 5 way optim overclock crashes and gets stuck on an error code.

I updated BIOs to 1902, this didn’t change anything either, even trying to autooverclock from BIOs is sticking on Q-code 60 and having to hold power button to reset back to bio to say overclocking failed

Here is a list of thing I am trying currently to remedy the problem.

I am on default clock of 3.5/3.7 Turbo.

I run memtest86 via USB to take away the possibility of it being an OS issue, this did a full run which took 3 hours and checked all my memory/CPU etc and it returned not even 1 single fault in the full 3 hour extensive test.

Auto overclock to 4.4ghz vias bios
Everything at default – boot from bios sticks on qcode 60, reset just cycles back to code 60 with vga led stuck on solid red, hold power and reboot to bios to see overclock failed.

Reset to default, manual set 45 core clock with 1.3 voltage, exact same scenario.
Same with 44 core clock
Same with 43 core clock, no boot just freezes on code 60

Reset to default and tried to boot, stuck on qcode 90 with the led light on, hard reboot and I get to OS

Try to use 5 way optimization for 4.4ghz and gets stuck on qcode 60 with no vga_led on this time, press reset and code comes back to 60 on screen with no improvement, hold power and reboots to bios with overclocking failed.

Try to boot straight out of bios with the setting still there and I get stuck at qcode 90 with vga_led light on solid again.

Power down remove SLi bridge and boot back up to OC failed screen, try to run again with 4.5ghz manual OC after setting to optimized defaults.

(Noted that during these tests the fans on both GPU’s start spinning but then power down when code 90 sticks)

For reference, I am calling the GPU’s EVA 1 (dull LED’s) and EVA 2 the normal LED’s

Stuck on code 90 so remove power and then remove bottom GPU EVA 2, from slot 4, GPU EVA 1 is the one connected to display doing the work

Try to boot with 1 GPU in at slot 1 at 4.5ghz 1.3volts, this boots up straight away and straight to OS. Run valley benchmark and get a score of 90 FPS, MIN 21.3 MAX 190, score of 3770 with just the one GPU in slot one.

Removed my USB 3.1 card that was occupying PCi slot 3 to see I that may be affecting performance.

So after getting the overclock stable at 4.5ghz after booting with the one card added the other card back in, it booted but had to re-install the drivers, then I added the SLi card and run a benchmark with them in SLi, same test as the one I just did with EVA 1 card on its own and the results were worse than with the one card, they came back with 84 FPS, MIN 21 MAX 180 SCORE 3537, so performance was worse! So now I have just installed EVA 2 on its own as surely it seems that is the fault card causing the decrease in performance and boot issues?

Boot back up still running with the 4.5ghz 1.3v overclock I had before when I booted with the 1 GPU, and it boots to windows fine, now for the Valley test, it gives roughly the same results as when I have EVA 1 on its own, but after leaving it for a few minutes it black screens on valley benchmark, so boot back up with both GPU’s in says overclock failed, load optimized defaults and save and exit and then it throws the same qcode error as before, code 90 and the vga_led light is on constant?

WHAT IS GOING ON!!

Help me please I spent £3000 on this build and at the minute its just demoralising for a PC noob.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

First, you need to change around some of those fans. You should have the same # (or 1 more) fan blowing in as you do out. Typical setup that works for almost everyone is front and side of the case blow in, rear and top of case blow out. I would change the fans on your radiator around so they are blowing out and not in.

Next, I would stop messing with the auto overclock. It's not hard to do manually and you'll be able to undo things when something bad happens. I would go into the bios and load up the defaults. Go into "advanced" mode and set the xmp profile (this will probably change the strap to 125) and then change your cpu multiplier to 34 which will give you 4.25 ghz. Set the cpu voltage to manual and set it to 1.25v. See if you can boot into windows and run whatever program you are using to test stability. If it is stable you can increase the multiplier another increment and check for stability. Repeat until it isn't stable at which point you will need to add more voltage. Keep an eye on temps during your stability testing, you probably want them to stay under 80c.

First, you need to change around some of those fans. You should have the same # (or 1 more) fan blowing in as you do out. Typical setup that works for almost everyone is front and side of the case blow in, rear and top of case blow out. I would change the fans on your radiator around so they are blowing out and not in.

Next, I would stop messing with the auto overclock. It's not hard to do manually and you'll be able to undo things when something bad happens. I would go into the bios and load up the defaults. Go into "advanced" mode and set the xmp profile (this will probably change the strap to 125) and then change your cpu multiplier to 34 which will give you 4.25 ghz. Set the cpu voltage to manual and set it to 1.25v. See if you can boot into windows and run whatever program you are using to test stability. If it is stable you can increase the multiplier another increment and check for stability. Repeat until it isn't stable at which point you will need to add more voltage. Keep an eye on temps during your stability testing, you probably want them to stay under 80c.

Thanks for the help!

I too thought that with the fans but the temps Im getting are great with that set up, CPU idle at about 26/27 and both GPU's idle at about 31-33, so I'm not going to mess with them as the temps I had even during load never reached 65 or above for anything, the manual also said to mount them as intakes too and they do a good job of blowing cool air straight onto the the dual GPU's.

In regards to the OC'ing, even when I tried manual at 45x 100 it struggled to boot with 2 GPu's but ok with just the one, is that strange?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Back