• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia drivers: more perf in Control for 1080ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

When I first was playing Control I used the January 2021 Nvidia drivers, but after upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers I noticed a 33% increase in framerate at the same mem/core clocks in DX12. That's the only thing that's changed in my rig so it's the only explanation I can think of. It went from less than 60 avg. FPS to 80+ avg. FPS in the same area of the map.
It's hard to imagine Nvidia taking any time to tune drivers for a 1080ti so it must be just pure chance that it turned out that way?

IIRC Nvidia just announced that they would not support GTX-780ti or less gpuÂ’ s in newer drivers :-(
^ I believe what you are saying because AMD stopped supporting DX-8 (3DMark 01) in ~ 2012 but I could still run it with my GTX-1080 + 2020 drivers. IÂ’m not sure if the 16xx series used some of the architecture from the 10xx series. This is :thup: great news :)

If it was a driver change remotely that significant, you can bet damn well Nvidia would mention it. Look through the driver history and see if it specifically mentions Control and performance improvements. It's possible game updates between January and now did it too...but needed a newer driver to take advantage of it? Who knows.

But yeah, id look at past release notes on drivers.

Worth noting is 'the same part of the map' isnt really an empirical test. What does the built in benchmark say?

Oops. Thought it did. Tough to have a reproducable run, but, 33% is significant. Look it up and see if it notes anything specific about the game. ;)

The foyer directly adjacent to the Director's office in Control would always drop to sub 60FPS with the Jan. 2021 drivers with the latest drivers it stays consistently above 80FPS. The only other change I made to the system was to lower the memory frequency to 3900Mhz. and tighten the timings from 4008Mhz.

Back